2 more Titans test positive for covid - possible forfeit

3rivers

11 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And that’s the problem. Giving out free wins hurts every team in the playoff hunt 

They should give the Titans the L’s and maybe just “cancel” the game for the other teams - those teams will have played a game less, but just determine playoff seeding by win %

11 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

They should give the Titans the L’s and maybe just “cancel” the game for the other teams - those teams will have played a game less, but just determine playoff seeding by win %

I mean isn’t that the same thing as giving the Bills an automatic win? 4-0 and 5-0 have the same win %

edit : jk it would affect it with one less game to be factored in the win %

Edited by The BILLievers

Just now, Outpost31 said:

What about giving the Titans an L and the Steelers/Bills a tie?  Steelers and Bills will already be benefitting from playing one less game.  That’s a huge advantage already considering the wear and tear from game to game.

Steelers and Bills fans will complain about a automatic half loss.

You’re right though.

3 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Someone in this situation is going to get the short end of the stick

Absolutely, someone will come out of this unhappy. You have a selfish, or maybe short minded group of guys whether coaches were or were not involved making the decision to meet in which can overall be disastrous for the season. Like people said you forfeit the game it cost other teams other opportunities. You postpone this game at the end of the season you give the bills less time to prep for playoffs while other teams get more time. You stop the season and all of the momentum each winning team has been running on comes to a dead stop. To then try to start all over again 2+ weeks in the future along with the game plans that can be dissected by each team as they have 2020 film to review. Just stinks no matter how you put it the season is being questioned and that is not to mention what will be the actual sentencing on this. As for the NFL, they have to come down hard in order to deter other teams for pushing a practice in the future if a player contracts the virus and a facility has to be temporarily closed. If its a simple slap on the wrist why wouldn't teams try to do this as it won't be a deterrent to get a chance to sneak a practice in.

One thing I do think should happen is when it comes down to the playoffs it should be a mandatory bubble, like NFL. No point in risking players to get infected and then get in a situation like this so if all players are in a bubble 2 weeks after the season ends this should not be an issue. Might be a logistical nightmare compared to basketball but it has to require something in order to not question the possibility of one team losing a playoff game cause they got a covid case. 

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re right though.

I would much rather them play in week 18 then take a tie. Tie does nothing for the bills. 

How about this, it is postponed in case other teams run in to the issue and they push the playoffs back beyond the projected time and a week 18 is needed. If no other teams have this issue like Titans have with (10+) players they forfeit the game. If other teams have outbreaks and involve multiple games to decide the seeding in the playoffs then the titans play but lose a 1st rd pick in 2021? There have to be consequences for the actions of violating the rules. I think it could be fair as it means one way or another the titans lose out on something for their mistake and it is not a slap on the wrist.

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re right though.

Yeah nah on that. Not our fault the Titans organization didn’t take this seriously and broke protocol. From my eyes it’s either the Titans forfeit, postpone until week 18, or make the Titans play with whatever players they can scrap up by Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://atozsportsnashville.com/sources-why-titans-met-to-practice-at-mba-on-sept-30/

Keeping in mind the workout took place the day after the facility closed. Not like yesterday. Also were no rule in place that they couldn't get together. Just that the building was closed. 
Not any different than teams like Tampa Bay or Dallas were doing during the summer when the buildings were closed. 

It's added context to help give a fuller picture.

Was it smart to do in the middle of a pandemic and team positive tests? Nope.
Was it against the rules AT THE TIME?  No.

They all were going by the standards the NFL had AT THE TIME and the belief that if you are negative you aren't at risk (evidence by the NFL allowing the Pats/Chiefs game to continue on.)

I again think the NFL needs to preach more about the incubation period to the players and staff. 
I will admit I even forgot about the incubation period until last week or so, as I read reports of the NFL fining the Raiders and sideline coaches (I thought whats the big deal if everyone is being tested everyday and aren't positive?)

But the workout wasn't the smartest thing but  wasn't against the rules at the time. 

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I agree - a bad look.  That seems different than deserving of an historic punishment.

Last Wednesday, one day after the Titans closed their facility amid a coronavirus outbreak in their organization, a group of players worked out at Montgomery Bell Academy, according to the school official.

The NFL and Titans informed players one day later that they were banned from any in-person gathering outside of team facilities.

Edited by titanrick
  • Like 1