2 more Titans test positive for covid - possible forfeit

3rivers

1 minute ago, titanrick said:

As long as are were no other players on the Pats that had the virus in its incubation period, were testing negative, were allowed to play against the Chiefs, and then tested positive after the game had been played.  Cuz if that happens?  Hoo boy!

Except that could happen to literally anyone in any situation and no policy the NFL could instill would prevent it. So to me, the NFLs plan is working

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Was it the unexpected bye week? What harm did that have to them overall as a team? 

That's a big thing - the Texans once had to take a bye week for week two following Hurricane Ike. Playing that many games in a row is taxing, and if something isn't working on either side of the ball, you don't get a week to pour into film and figure it out, you have to figure it out while gameplanning for the following opponent.

It's not a small ask, that's for sure. These teams operate on routine, and these routines are determined pretty much right after the schedule is released. Pittsburgh has to pivot really early now.

6 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Yes, that was my point.  The NFL's protocols are garbage.

No argument here. None whatsoever.

But, we need that TV money so the Titans can pay their $100,000,000 fine.

So... chop chop, get to it.

12 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'm sure the players enjoy going home Sunday or Monday night knowing they have an entire week off. When was this game rescheduled? Not only was the bye week moved up, but it creates back to back road games and the players didn't get a true bye week.

I get there have been week 4 byes and teams have back to back tough road games all the time, but considering they didn't have that when the season came out and now they do, plus the lack of a true bye week...

But that wasn't the case tho...

They were trying to prepare as best they could for the Steelers game. Virtually and some working out. They weren't lounging. 
Even on bye weeks, players can't go travel like they used to, they have to stay in town to test every day. 

I see what you are saying but is that a clear disadvantage or advantage for either team?
Again, the Titans weren't just sitting around doing nothing, they were meeting, some got treatment like a normal  game week. 

To me clear would have been if the Titans got 2 weeks to prepare. But as it stands they both will be coming off games the previous week and a road game vs home game is a normal variable for any game played every week right?

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's a big thing - the Texans once had to take a bye week for week two following Hurricane Ike. Playing that many games in a row is taxing, and if something isn't working on either side of the ball, you don't get a week to pour into film and figure it out, you have to figure it out while gameplanning for the following opponent.

It's not a small ask, that's for sure. These teams operate on routine, and these routines are determined pretty much right after the schedule is released. Pittsburgh has to pivot really early now.

Yeah, but is routine a clear disadvantage? 

No matter where a bye week comes, it breaks routine.  Neither team truly had a bye week. They both were trying to prepare to play a game (as evidence by guys trying to work out). 
I guess I fail to see the obvious way the team was put at a loss outside of thinking they were going to play and then not (which happened for both teams). 

Thank you for responding.  But I'm still failing to see the point of view for the disadvantage. 

Just now, The BILLievers said:

You can’t give the bills a tie because the Titans broke covid protocol and ruined the week lmao that’s not going to happen. My best guess is week 18 or Titans play with whoever they can 

Agreed, I meant that in more of a: Usually people say a tie is like kissing your sister or you simply cant end a game that way etc, for the most part everyone hates ties...a forfeit is even worse than that

12 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Except that could happen to literally anyone in any situation and no policy the NFL could instill would prevent it. So to me, the NFLs plan is working

The problem is the NFL hasn't accounted for the incubation period in their protocols. 

You have a positive test on a team.  Does it really matter if it's one or three?  ALL other players are testing negative each day.  One group of teammates is immediately allowed to play a game against the Chiefs that's delayed... one entire day.  The other group of teammates is told they did something so grossly negligent that their team deserves an historic punishment.

That doesn't seem messed up to you?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I understand the Week 4 bye and long haul season  argument. There have been week 4 byes in the past and it's not ideal, but not something that's never happened.

Week 4 bye is more unfair to me. I don't think that is the fair part. 
Both teams are getting that, but it wasn't part of the plan for Steelers.

NFL probably should have played the game like the Pats/Chiefs, but Monday QB would say that would have been bad idea. 

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah, but is routine a clear disadvantage? 

Interfering with it could be - depends on the team. If it's NYJ or Houston, probably not, they're a mess. A buttoned up unit such as Pittsburgh or KC? Probably so once we get down the stretch.

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

No matter where a bye week comes, it breaks routine

No - I don't think you get what I'm saying - they build in the routine when the schedule is released. They say "Week (x) is bye, we're going to self scout and evaluate rookies and watch film on the rest of our opponents...

That type of opportunity is off the table now, or it has to be done while creating the gameplan.

I mean, the Steelers didn't just get the early bye. The way it was rescheduled left them with three straight road games, gives them Tennessee and Baltimore back to back and they get Baltimore off their bye now.

That adjustment had several disadvantages. Nothing that can't just happen in a normal schedule, but that wasn't their initial schedule and now they're stuck with those issues.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, titanrick said:

The problem is the NFL hasn't accounted for the incubation period in their protocols. 

You have a positive test on a team.  Does it really matter if it's one or three?  ALL other players are testing negative each day.  One group of teammates is immediately allowed to play a game against the Chiefs that's delayed... one entire day.  The other group of teammates is told they did something so grossly negligent that their team deserves an historic punishment.

That doesn't seem messed up to you?

Depends - if the Titans practiced after being told to not gather, then yes they did something grossly negligent. The other case, the incubation period, is literally impossible to plan around.

If every profession in world shut down for the potential of the incubation period, everybody would just be in their houses and couldn't leave - because anyone could have it. Even if you shut the Patriots down this week and postponed that game, this would happen again and again and again - I believe the virus is more contagious after a positive test, although I don't know that for sure - so in that case, what the Titans did was worse (if they did it)

Too many responses from fans of affected teams.  I'm not so how about this...

1.  Titans are removed from the schedule entirely.  Their wins are removed, the teams they beat have the losses removed.  The Steelers get their later bye week back.  All future games scheduled with them become byes, and before someone screams not fair, consider this would also build in weeks to try to contain the next potential outbreak.

2.  As they aren't a part of the 2020 season, Titans forfeit their league revenue share, IF and only IF it can be proven that team officials/coaching/front office had a hand in helping organize it.

3.  Loss of all day 1 and 2 picks of their own theis draft.  If they acquired others in past trades, they can keep those.  Also barred from trading back into the first two days of the draft if they don't have a traded pick already in their possession.

4.  Any coach or front office official that knowingly played a part in the HS site practice gets the Sean Peyton treatment.... gone for a year.