2 more Titans test positive for covid - possible forfeit

3rivers

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There were rules in place and your team broke them. What do you expect to happen in that scenario?

Seriously - how would you want this to play out?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished. 

I think forfeit is bigger than just give them a loss. It provides a league wide competitive disadvantage. And doesn't just punish the team targeted. 

Like I said what happens when this team has 2 weeks vs. That team not. That's not fair. And it's gonna be more than one team. 

Draft picks, fines, suspensions ok.  It hits the team targeted. 

Giving a loss to me is the equivalent of making the whole class have detention because some stupid people won't quit talking. 

Again my opinion. I honestly would have if it wasn't my team. 

Make those cleared play. Suspend or fine the wrongdoers and team has to accept the outcome of the game. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I understand taking draft picks away.

However, it’s moronic to start screwing over teams by having them forfeit games.

If you can't play because of your own good then I think that should be a forfeit. Their fault. The Titans put the other 31 teams in the NFL in a really bad situation all because they broke protocol. 

The only realistically good solution is to extended the season. It has not been contemplated in advance, but team owners must gathers and adopt a solution. Is their league, they are fit to do as they want, but if this forfeit becomes a thing, the season will be completely ruined and whoever wins the Lombardy trophy will have a permanent asterisk attached to that victory.

41 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

giphy.gif

I'm all for them playing. Short handed.  

Get whipped and next time do what you supposed to do. 

Fine  them. Suspend them. Draft picks. It hits the team at fault go for it. 

Should the NFL retroactively take away wins from the Patriots when they broke a rule? 

Any team that breaks a rule gets a loss? 

I'm thinking more big picture about what it sets up down the road for any other violation from any team. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i really gotta know what the hell was going through these dudes heads. it's incomprehensible to me.

A league where a bunch of young men, many of whom come from shaky socio-economic backgrounds, get inculcated into a culture that values competitiveness and extreme levels of hard work above player safety? Gosh, I can't begin to fathom how this kind of thing could happen in such an environment.

This isn't a Titans problem. It would've happened with literally any team in the league that suffered such an outbreak. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BearFromArgentina said:

The only realistically good solution is to extended the season. It has not been contemplated in advance, but team owners must gathers and adopt a solution. Is their league, they are fit to do as they want, but if this forfeit becomes a thing, the season will be completely ruined and whoever wins the Lombardy trophy will have a permanent asterisk attached to that victory.

I'm sure it can be. There's no, or limited fans in stadiums, the stadiums aren't being used for any other events (concerts, conferences, other sporting events). We're a captive audience on TV. I certainly wouldn't mind football being delayed to late Feb or even early March. 

The only issue is, if you extend it too much, then the recovery time is shortened from one season to the next.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Is it possible that they can still play the game this Sunday and tell the Titans "well it's your fault you won't get practice in this week" and just have the non cleared players play?

That would be my approach. 

The league let the Pats/chiefs play knowing cam was infected and the incubation period was still in play. 

If you have clear tests for multiple days or even the week then you suit up and you playing.

If that means you have a LB playing LT that's your fault. 

1 minute ago, The BILLievers said:

Is it possible that they can still play the game this Sunday and tell the Titans "well it's your fault you won't get practice in this week" and just have the non cleared players play?

Is less bad than a forfeit, but is still an issue. Loosing players for a NFL game is completely normal, missing whole weeks of practices is not. Yet, i understand completely the point of view of the Bills, or any team affected by rescheduling in the context of a normal season. There is very limited room for re-scheduling, an this will become unmanageable.

From my understanding of the whole situation, looking from the outside (non-US), the pressure to not extend the season, or play in other days of the week, is coming exclusively from the networks.

I haven't seen a single statement from NFL or NFLPA members, voicing against it.

College-style Death Penalty:
No playoffs this year, regardless of final record

forfeit= loss of $35 M in ad revenue, no chance that happens.
And while the other owners are pissed off - they are also deathly afraid their squads will somehow screw the pooch too

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

College-style Death Penalty:
No playoffs this year, regardless of final record

forfeit= loss of $35 M in ad revenue, no chance that happens.
And while the other owners are pissed off - they are also deathly afraid their squads will somehow screw the pooch too

And what will this accomplish, exactly? It's a punitive measure designed to make an example out of one team for not observing safety protocols that don't work in the first place. Even if the Titans forfeit their whole season, Covid will continue to spread in locker rooms because the U.S., as a whole, is a giant petri dish right now.