Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

13 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is beyond moronic.

This isn't the RG3 vs. Tampa game where the QB was so bad you couldn't evaluate anyone else on offense. He did some poor things in the game, sure. But he wasn't completely bad either. The kid WAS growing into the offense.

And now, to switch to Kyle tells me that Ron and Scott never wanted to work with Dwayne at all. We should just trade him to a team before the deadline and then tank for Trevor if this is how we're going to approach things this year.

This isn't just stupid.

It's STOOOOOPID

Yeah, I didn't watch the game and just haven't had the time to re-watch it.  I was planning on it today but I've got to head to another work location due to a lot of people unable to work today.  But from what I've heard from a few people who know football, it wasn't a good or bad performance.  

I just don't get the switch to Kyle Allen, and then moving Haskins down to third string.  This was a guy who the team elected as a captain.  Has his performance really been that bad?  As someone else alluded to, there has to be more to this.  If not, nothing has really changed behind the scenes with this club and how they make decisions.  

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

I like the thought process, I just don't feel that he has gotten a fair shake towards improvement. 3 different head coaches in 15 (i think) games and the last head coach puts you in a position to fail and is surprised when you do.

Which is why I'm saying we should never have drafted him in the first place.  That whole regime was on its way out.  Rivera didn't have anything to do with drafting Haskins.  You can't blame him for wanting to pick his own QB. 

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If Ron Rivera wanted Kyle Allen at the start of the season he should have started him.

I don't totally disagree with this, but I guess the thought process was well the team has a first round pick invested in this kid we need to see if he can play.  

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I would be significantly more forgiving of this, but he pretty much tried to tank Dwayne's confidence and then bury him on the team, which does no good for his value if you want to trade him or his ability to do his job if he stays.

I'm not sure I follow this part.  Are you referring to the benching right now hurting his confidence?  I think this signals that Rivera is done with Haskins I don't think he cares about his confidence now.  We should try to trade him before the deadline for whatever we can get.  

The biggest problem that Haskins has is that he is incredibly inaccurate when he cannot stay stationary in a clean pocket.  How realistic is that in today's NFL?  The best QBs in the league right now are the ones that can deliver accurate passes downfield while on the move.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not sure I follow this part.  Are you referring to the benching right now hurting his confidence?  I think this signals that Rivera is done with Haskins I don't think he cares about his confidence now.  We should try to trade him before the deadline for whatever we can get.  

Not the benching. That was the insult at the end. Ron came out early in the season and backed Haskins. Told him he was going to stick with him after a rough outing against the Browns. Then backtracked those comments and made him look over his shoulder. He played a good not great game against Baltimore. Then gets buried on the depth chart for a 4th down play that wouldn't have happened if you had confidence in your teams ability to win the game.

Like I said before, I may be overreacting to this news at the moment, but I feel Ron was trying to force Dwayne into mistakes so that Dan would be ok with switching to Kyle Allen. 

Part of me hopes Allen lights it up and part of me hopes it backfires in R.R.s face.  

To me - Ron Rivera's reputation is that of a high integrity individual. Lots of players, coaches, and GM have lauded him for an honest approach. We as a fanbase, are shell-shocked and petty. So when a football move is made, we assume its done so in a back handed fashion. 

In my opinion, something must of happened that resulted in not only benching but Dwayne being designated 3rd string. I think back to his comments in the press recently, his agent, his twitter behavior, and his conversation with Thomas Davis. If Dwayne was not taking accountability, to me - that might be enough for the benching.... but not the demotion to 3rd string. We will be hearing more about this in the coming weeks.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t agree with this, Haskins isn’t lighting the world on fire but Kyle Allen isn’t going to be much of at all better and has less potential to be a top 10 QB with a year more of development. The only thing Allen will have over Haskins is knowledge of the system, time will tell if that matters.

Haskins has to be the only QB in history to go 71% for 314 yds & a 90.4 rtg and get benched.

He’s not playing great, but he’s not playing awful. No running game, average at best OL play, only one real weapon as a WR and a D that’s blown coverages since week 1 has as much with Washington being only 1-3 as Haskins does.

So much for an evaluation year!

Don't go by the ending stats to evaluate the performance, please. Because doing that, it can hide what actually happened. If you're gonna do that, then look deeper into them.

12 of his 32 completions were at or behind the LOS. He completed just 4 out of 9 passes beyond 10 yards. That tells me a ton of screens were dialed up and he also turned down routes he probably should've thrown.

We mostly agree here elsewhere. I just wanted to point out that going by the raw stats doesn't tell the whole picture.

Biggest problems with Haskins:

Mechanics - his footwork is still godawful

Decision making - the series BEFORE the one where he got the 18 yard sack, he had Mclaurin wide open in the middle of the field 15 yards ahead and then looked him off and tried to throw it to Barber in the flat (which he also missed)

OffScript Sucks -   he is good when his primary reads are open. But if he has to go to his 3rd read, he's lost. Basically, if the play proceeds as scripted, he looks good. If you ask him to go off script? He suffers horribly IMHO

Situational Awareness - I give you the entire series of events after Moses gets the False start and we have 1st and goal from the 15. 

But even with all of that ^^^^^ you need to let it ride with the guy. He is still basically a rookie and one who is not working with a ton of pro bowlers to help him. We needed to see what we have in the guy. It probably wasn't going to work (I agreed last year with Mknight that he wasn't a 1st round talent), but we did spend a 1st rounder on him and we're canning him after less than a season? That's short sighted.

Peyton Manning was abysmal to watch his first 16-20 starts. Just saying.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yup. His value should be higher during the season as QBs go down. If we wait to trade him in the offseason, his value is nil.

• Like 1

This is such a DC move. 

There is zero point in this move. This isn't a competitive football team and they know that. They aren't making the playoffs and even if they did, they aren't competitive. Your head coach is literally sitting out defensive plays because of his cancer. You have a garbage offensive line.

Haskins was known to be a project. He had one year being the starter at Ohio State. It was known he needed a lot of work. Benching him does nothing to develop him at this point. He spent the majority of last season on the bench. He needs reps.

Moreover, his value is rock bottom right now. If Rivera wants to draft HIS guy, then we should be looking to maximize trade value for Haskins.

Overall, this is the bad decision, desperation move we expected under the Bruce Allen regime. Seems pretty clear that Rivera is being overwhelmed and, at the same time, being told that he has to win now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

*Overreaction coming*

I'm done watching this team. 

You preach process and growth yet bench someone 4 weeks in, after their best career game in a lot of areas.

If Kyle Allen has one bad game he better get benched. Having over a year in Scott Turners offense, there should be less of a leash.

/Rant

Basically