Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I can say what's regurgitated over & over...

Not enough talent on offense

Our o-line sucks, etc. Which I don't totally disagree with.

But a good QB, makes the players around him better.

Just like a loaded and stacked offense can make a bad QB, look better than he really is.

Lots of answers coming this weekend.

We better all hope, it was just Haskins.

Otherwise, were in for a long rebuild.

Gotta say, I was already prepared for this.  I kept telling you guys its going to be two years before this team is ready.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

O/C Scott Turner said they were seeing "repeat mistakes" from Haskins . 

Also said it helps to take a step back sometimes . I don't think this is necessarily the end of "the league done messed up . "

If this was the case, why demote him to third string? 

EDIT: Now apparently its fourth string since he didn't take any snaps at all in practice. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well, he was a Georgia QB first! 😂  I mean w/ that attitude we should never draft an FCS player bc it’s unlikely they’ll work out. Remind me again of all those NDSU QBs to win Super Bowls?

That doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things.  But it is another example that Kirby picks the wrong QBs 

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. And I'll acknowledge all of that. There's always a first time.

So questions that then need to be answered are:

Is he as good and as accomplished as they were in college? 

How long has he started?

Why did he transfer to OSU?

Show me his worst games. Is there video on that?

Things like that are what I'm interested in.

I can be sold on him. But that's gonna take some selling by others.

He transferred from Georgia bc he went there when Georgia already had Fromm who was established. I believe Naptown always liked Fields better and wished Georgia had kept fields over Fromm bc Fields would’ve made them a national championship contender like he did with the Buckeyes while Fromm could never do that.

So far Fields has only started one year, this will be his second year and I think the Big 10 is scheduled to play 8 games this year and then the Big 10 Championship (if they make it) and Bowl Game if he plays in it or CFBP for the 2nd year in a row.

He almost lead the Buckeyes to a win over Trevor Lawrence last year in the CFBP despite Fields playing with a sprained MCL.

I don’t know where to get bad film of someone. I will say he threw a poor pass or really there was miscommunication between he and Olave on the last throw of the CFBP last year vs Clemson, Olave stopped his route in the endzone while Fields led him across the endzone and it was intercepted by the Safety.

They had run the ply earlier in the game and fields hit Olave for a TD.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He transferred from Georgia bc he went there when Georgia already had Fromm who was established. I believe Naptown always liked Fields better and wished Georgia had kept fields over Fromm bc Fields would’ve made them a national championship contender like he did with the Buckeyes while Fromm could never do that.

So far Fields has only started one year, this will be his second year and I think the Big 10 is scheduled to play 8 games this year and then the Big 10 Championship and Bowl Game is he plays in it or CFBP for the 2nd year in a row.

He almost lead the Buckeyes to a win over Trevor Lawrence last year in the CFBP despite Fields playing with a sprained MCL.

I don’t know where to get bad film of someone. I will say he threw a poor pass or really there was miscommunication between he and Olave on the last throw of the CFBP last year vs Clemson, Olave stopped his route in the endzone while Fields led him across the endzone and it was intercepted by the Safety.

They had run the ply earlier in the game and fields hit Olave for a TD.

Thanks. I'll keep my eye on him. I'm still a bit gun-shy. But like I said. I can be sold on him. I'll just have to watch for myself.

I honestly think from what I’ve seen this year from Kyle Trask of Florida is the most NFL ready or at least it seems that way - he throws into tight windows playing in the SEC, but he’s lighting the SEC on fire right now.

The issue w/ Trask is that he’s 2 years older than Fields and Lawrence. But, he’s been the best college QB so far this year and he was good last year too.

• Like 1

I said it then I will say it again,I didnt want us to draft Haskins.I was praying he wouldnt be our pick right up to the point they announced the pick.His mechanics and footwork are terrible.I wanted to wait a year.If we had it would have been Rivera drafting his guy and having no excuses.Now we have to go through all of this and probably miss out on a good QB in the process in the next draft just like this year.I certainly hope we dont play ourselves out of position to draft Lawrence.

Props to Rivera, at least he has the balls to do this move. I would have liked to seen it earlier and actually got some value from Haskins but Rivera was put in a weird situation. Haskins was a train-wreck last year and he was a train-wreck this year. Unfortunately the only Kyle Allen I saw was from the Panthers' game last year and he was not impressive but I'm sure he can run this offense better than Dwayne. I think they'll have their eyes on Trey Lance in next year's draft.

56 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If we're going to go by frustration level or players (and as a coach I understand that there's 53 active players all wanting to win), then let's put starting jobs up to a team vote from now on.

This speaks to why you don’t let coaches (or players) make personnel decisions.

It’s not because they’re dumb or selfish or don’t care. It’s because they’re too close to the games, they’re deeply involved on a daily basis in the competitive part of it, teaching and scheming and fighting and clawing to try to win every week. As a coach, you’re trying to win the next game on the schedule. You feel responsible to all the guys in the locker room to give them the best chance to win, there’s a sense of duty to them (which I know Rivera feels). 

But in the long haul, winning the next game is not always the franchise’s top priority. It can’t be. If you’re in charge of the franchise, you have to take a long view: what will make this the best franchise today, next year, and 5 years from now? And sometimes you have to be willing to sacrifice the present in order to boost the future. But a coach, feeling personally competitive and having to look these competitive guys in the face every day and ask for their best, can’t do that. A coach will, often unintentionally, sacrifice the future for the right now. 

There’s one coach who can do it. He’s the only one who has ever been able to do it. Nothing I’ve seen from Rivera thus far suggests he’s any different from the other coaches (better coaches, many of them) who have tried to wear both hats and failed.

• Like 2

Before I read anyone else's posts, I'm just going to post my thoughts (so they may duplicative; if they are, we're on the same wavelength, not trying to steal your thunder)

This is a catastrophically stupid decision.

The only reasons you would do this are:

1. The rest of the division stinks, and/or
  2. The owner tells you to push for the division.

Let us consider the possibilities of what could happen:

1. They make a push for the playoffs and they win the division!
    1. They host a playoff game against the top wild card team. In all likelihood, they get blasted off the field and end up with the 19th overall pick. Yay.
    2. Somehow, they win the first game. Possibilities are
      1. Both the sixth and seventh seeds lost: they face the #1 seed on their home turf and get blasted off the field. Except now, they're picking 25th.
      2. 6th seed wins, seventh seed loses: they face the #2 seed on their home turf and get blasted off the field. Except now, they're picking 25th.
      3. 6th seed loses, seventh seed wins: they face the #3 seed on their home turf and get blasted off the field. Except now, they're picking 25th.
      4. Both the sixth and seventh seed win, they host the #6 seed. More than likely, a team that just beat the #3 best team on the road beats Washington at home and they still end up picking 25th.
    3. Let's go further and say that by some miracle they win the second game. Now, they likely have to go on the road again to win the NFC Championship. They stole a road win once in the playoffs. Do you think they can do it twice in a row? End up picking 29th.
      1. Only possible exception to this is if both of the other wild cards won in the divisional round (path 2.4) and the 7th seed beat the #1 seed).
      2. Do you feel that a 7th seeded team that beat both the second best and best team in the NFC couldn't wax the floor with Washington in FedEx Field?
    4. Let's go for broke in insanity. They win the NFC Championship. On what version of Earth do you see them beating whomever comes out of the AFC? Kansas City? Baltimore? Pittsburgh? Even a Tennessee or Buffalo? Really now? Be honest with yourself.

But see, these are not the worst possibilities. Case #1 is actually a relatively happy path. Sure, they screw themselves for the long term because the rest of the division won't be this bad next year and thus they will regress heavily to the mean in the 2021-22. Oh yeah, and all of those free agent players who made the push? They're going to look to get paid elsewhere because they got insanely lucky and will run from DC. Still, there's a modicum of hope that some of you will have that they'll actually lift a Lombardi in this scenario, so this isn't so bad. No, let's consider ...

2. They make a push for the playoffs ... and come up short.
    1. So, now they're 6-10 or 7-9.
    2. They're still a dysfunctional franchise so free agents will still avoid Washington if they have other ideas.
    3. Oh yeah, and they hurt their draft position so the top players (whether for a long term QB answer (c'mon, you don't seriously think Kyle Allen is the answer, do you?) or desperately needed OL (specifically LT) help) won't be there.

BUT WAIT, IT CAN GET WORSE!

3. In the next two weeks, they steal one from the Rams (I'm sorry @aceinthehouse, but they're a 7.5 home dog to LA; maybe you're right and they take this one, but that's not where the money is) and beat the woeful Giants in the Meadowlands (something that rarely happens, historically speaking. Unfortunately, they get into a boat race with Dallas and get burned. At this point, they're entering their bye week 3-4, but still in the hunt (2-1 in division, maybe 2nd, maybe 3rd, maybe 1st).
    1. Ron Rivera thinks to himself, "I have the Scary F1 guy but there's nothing else around him!"
    2. "I know, let's go trade for another pass catcher!"
    3. So they send a 2nd round pick to Chicago for Allen Robinson. Or perhaps to Cincinnati for AJ Green. Or to Indianapolis for TY Hilton. Some big name splash receiver that is on an expiring contract, but is that one piece that will push them over the edge.
    4. Except it doesn't because said receiver needs time to acclimate to DC and the playbook.
    5. So they swing big ... and miss big.
    6. Not only is the draft position damaged, they created a hole in the draft board to fix the leaking boat that is this franchise yet again.
    7. Oh, and no chance said big name receiver stays in DC.

BUT STILL, THAT'S NOT THE WORST!

4. Kyle Allen gets hurt, and Washington has to turn to Alex Smith. In live football.

There are reports that the other players on the roster/sideline are frustrated with the not-winning and thus Rivera had to do this to prevent losing the locker room. If those guys are as poor as evaluating the overall talent of their teammates, I don't know what to tell them.

The short version is that Rivera has decided to go back to his gambling ways away from the steady hand because there is a chance they can maybe win a division and host a playoff game without taking into account what that actually means for this franchise beyond this season. It's myopically short sighted, but let's get that meaningless crown just to get laughed off the field in the playoffs!

• Like 1