Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I honestly think from what I’ve seen this year from Kyle Trask of Florida is the most NFL ready or at least it seems that way - he throws into tight windows playing in the SEC, but he’s lighting the SEC on fire right now.

The issue w/ Trask is that he’s 2 years older than Fields and Lawrence. But, he’s been the best college QB so far this year and he was good last year too.

Trask is my boy crush this season. Me and @turtle28 on the same page here.

I love the people cheering this on as we bench Haskins for the guy who sucked so bad in Carolina last year that he got our current coach fired. Haskins was always going to be a project. Each and everyone of you knew this and yet here we are. Half the fanbase being silly enough to back this dumb decision. “Oh boy, let’s see what Kyle Allen has. Derp” yeah we saw that last year when he turned the ball over 24 times in 12 games. I’ll be absolutely stunned if this Rivera era turns into anything more than another debacle. Don’t give me this crap about how his teammates deserve better as he trots Apke out there each week to get torched repeatedly. 

Maybe he can draft Fields or Lance and surround him with talent like Logan Thomas, Dontrelle Inman and JD McKissic. That couldn’t possibly fail with those studs on the roster. Maybe Stephon Heyer is hanging out somewhere and we can bring him in to play LT? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This speaks to why you don’t let coaches (or players) make personnel decisions.

It’s not because they’re dumb or selfish or don’t care. It’s because they’re too close to the games, they’re deeply involved on a daily basis in the competitive part of it, teaching and scheming and fighting and clawing to try to win every week. As a coach, you’re trying to win the next game on the schedule. You feel responsible to all the guys in the locker room to give them the best chance to win, there’s a sense of duty to them (which I know Rivera feels). 

But in the long haul, winning the next game is not always the franchise’s top priority. It can’t be. If you’re in charge of the franchise, you have to take a long view: what will make this the best franchise today, next year, and 5 years from now? And sometimes you have to be willing to sacrifice the present in order to boost the future. But a coach, feeling personally competitive and having to look these competitive guys in the face every day and ask for their best, can’t do that. A coach will, often unintentionally, sacrifice the future for the right now. 

There’s one coach who can do it. He’s the only one who has ever been able to do it. Nothing I’ve seen from Rivera thus far suggests he’s any different from the other coaches (better coaches, many of them) who have tried to wear both hats and failed.

Definitely, starting Haskins the rest of the season was the best decision for not only now, but possibly the future.

Starting Allen doesn’t make much sense to me at all if you want to win except he’s the Colt McCoy of Scott Turner’s offense. Does that win us more games? Possibly if the defense doesn’t give up 30 ppg do we want to win 5 to 8 games instead of 1 to 4 games this year?

No, no we don’t!

Winning 5 games or more is not in this teams best interest for its long term future. I’m against this decision for any reason someone could give me.

I’m sure Kyle Allen is a nice guy, but I honestly hope he looks worse than Haskins, has more turnovers - something Haskins didn’t have much of his last 8 starts minus CLE - and therefore we’ll go 1-15 or 2-14 w/ 0-12 the rest of the way or 1-11 the rest of the way w/ Allen at the helm and be able to select Trevor Lawrence, Fields or Trask with our top 3 pick. 

I hate to say it, but I have to be honest, I want nothing to do with Kyle Allen success this year! There’s no way in hell he’ll ever lead this team to Super Bowl, that guy currently isn’t on the Washington roster!

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:
9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

If Ron Rivera wanted Kyle Allen at the start of the season he should have started him.

I don't totally disagree with this, but I guess the thought process was well the team has a first round pick invested in this kid we need to see if he can play.  

Could have just as easily said "we're going with Kyle as he knows Scott and my playbook and it's unfair to Dwayne to throw him into a new system without a true offseason to learn it without any OTAs or preseason games."

It's just political games. I would have wished they disappeared with Rivera, but I guess not. More fool me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think also we have to realize that Scott & Ron just don’t see Dwayne as their future franchise QB. Next years draft should be a great one for QBs. Honestly, I love Haskins, everyone knows it, but there are 3 QBs I’d take in college over him now - Lawrence, Fields & Trask - and I’m intrigued by Lance but I can’t say at this time I’d take him over Haskins.

If Ron already knows Haskins is not going to be his long term option, so get that, what I don’t get and won’t accept is benching Haskins w/o giving him 16 games.

That’s a huge mistake bc he could shock us all and be awesome in Nov & Dec - not likely but possible.

100% prevent agree with everyone’s take that benching him now and then presumably trading him in March or April after he doesn’t play another down for us is stupid bc we’re trading him at a low point in his stock.

That’s such a Washington thing. We did that with McNabb in 2011 and we did that with Trent too amongst others.

See, here's the thing: if Haskins is so badly unplayable, why not leave him in there so you position yourself to get one of those three QBs? He'll tank the season for you. Maybe he plays a bit better and rehabs his value on the trade market. You can still dump him, but get something for him.

Unless they think Kyle Allen is going to save this franchise, this is was ridiculous in the extreme.

Let me make one thing clear: no, I did not think Haskins was playing all that great. At the same time, I don't think anyone would with the offense as it is currently constructed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Trask is my boy crush this season. Me and @turtle28 on the same page here.

Well honestly to me my man crush is Lawrence. I mean those blonde locks, how could you not? Haha 😂 jk, jk, but no really he’s my #1.

Fields I think has more upside than Trask. I could flip a coin on Fields and Trask. Trask is more NFL ready, Fields can extend plays better, and is not close to his ceiling. Fields could be a Russell Wilson Type if he develops more over this year and his first two years in the NFL. He has the skills, smarts and leadership qualities I think to be that. 

Trask is more a traditional pocket passer than Lawrence or Fields but he’s not a bad athlete either, he’s a better athlete than Haskins. After Lawrence, Trask seems like the safest QB pick in the draft and with how Lawrence can be up and down, Trask may be the safest QB pick of the top 4 guys.  

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, Woz said:

See, here's the thing: if Haskins is so badly unplayable, why not leave him in there so you position yourself to get one of those three QBs? He'll tank the season for you. Maybe he plays a bit better and rehabs his value on the trade market. You can still dump him, but get something for him.

Unless they think Kyle Allen is going to save this franchise, this is was ridiculous in the extreme.

Let me make one thing clear: no, I did not think Haskins was playing all that great. At the same time, I don't think anyone would with the offense as it is currently constructed.

Exactly, I was just saying that’s what I think Ron has already determined. He has already determined - as Jay did before him - that Haskins is not the guy that he wants to be his starting QB.

Agree w/ your post though. 

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

@e16bball I'm curious why you so strongly defend Haskins and say he hasn't been given a fair shot, but you've been highly critical of Rivera who has only been here for 4 games?  

Speaking for myself and not e16: because Rivera is not just the head coach but also the GM. I feel from the perspective of both hats, this decision was insanely idiotic.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mar29020 said:

this makes TWO coaching staffs that wanted nothing to do with haskins. Its clear he doesnt have the game down mentality combined with horrible fundamentals, staring down receivers, and horrible accuracy. This guy aint it. i'm happy we are cutting bait early. He has to many huge flaws that prevent him from being a good qb. he literally just checked the ball down last week. Also i think this has to do more with his preparation to which the coaches see, and we do not. Hate Jay gruden all you want, but he was right about RG3 and seems right about haskins. He also seems to be mentoring minshew well in jacksonville. Also, Rivera wants to win football games. I guarantee you he did not take this decision lightly. This is also a tough love move teaching haskins he needs to get his nose in the playbook. To many rookies are good out the gate for us to sit around watching Jamarcus haskins stink it up!

Im happy :) 

Again, be careful what you wish for.

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

So what are you going to say, when Allen tosses 3 TD's in a victory over the Rams?

What will be the excuse for Haskins then?

If that happens, then I'll say two things:

1. Wow, maybe he can play.
  2. Let's see what he does over the long haul once people get tape on him again.

The better question: what does Rivera do if Allen craps the bed? Does he actually go to Alex Smith? Does he try to repair the relationship with Haskins? Does he go see if Mark Sanchez wants to take another set of snaps?

This was a massive gamble on Rivera's part. Had they just stunk like everyone projected them to, we would all be discussing how to make the team better over the long haul. Now, he has to win RIGHT NOW. If he doesn't, the whole justification for him being elevated to the top man of the franchise is a massive question mark. Ron Rivera just created a massive controversy for what purpose? To possibly win a divisional crown only to get their *** handed to them in the playoffs? Why?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I’ll be too busy celebrating my lottery win and the fact my wife signed off on a romantic weekend with Ariana Grande to care. 

Not even halfway through this thread and out of likes for the day.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!

but +1

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I just want to be on record to say I support this decision.

He gave him 4 games to show he has promise & the only game he rose to the occasion was the opener vs Philly.

At least in a leadership role. It didn't hurt that the defense got 8 sacks that game, either.

Not only is this the right move, but I guarantee we start winning now.

3 wins in a row coming...

You heard it from me, first! 😎

So what happens if they lose on Sunday? Will that justify going to Alex Smith? He's a seasoned veteran right?

How long is Kyle Allen's rope? It cannot be as long as the four starts this coaching staff gave Haskins, right? I mean as @e16bball pointed out, they've already seen him for a full year prior to his arrival in DC ... and they benched him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Woz said:

So what happens if they lose on Sunday? Will that justify going to Alex Smith? He's a seasoned veteran right?

How long is Kyle Allen's rope? It cannot be as long as the four starts this coaching staff gave Haskins, right? I mean as @e16bball pointed out, they've already seen him for a full year prior to his arrival in DC ... and they benched him.

Maybe Kyle Allen has been good with the Microsoft Surface on the sidelines and that Impressed Rivera bc he couldn’t figure out how to turn it on! 😂