Jump to content
RSkinGM

Kyle Allen Your New Starter

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

And I had hoped that Rivera being in charge would have negated Danny boy ... but I guess Synderitis is more contagious than we ever knew.

Getting a retread like Rivera was never going to make it change.  The only thing that will make Snyder change is to dump a boatload of cash at a guy like Dabo or Urban who are proven (at least at their level) and has options, and if Snyder tries to pull any of his schtick, that coach is out.  99% of coaches that he would be able to get aren't going to be able to stand up to him.  Basically, if they have their own brand to protect.  And I know Rivera has the whole "Riverboat Ron" moniker, but it's just that.......a moniker.  It is far from a brand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Josh Rosen in his second NFL offense in Miami in an offense talent wise pretty similar to Washington this year - except the Dolphins have a better TE, really a great TE:

(6 games, 3 starts) 53%, 576 yds, 1 TD & 5 ints w/ a 52 rtg

Dwayne Haskins in his second offense in the NFL:

4 games: 61%, 949 yards, 4 TDs, 3 ints (all in his worst game in his last 8 starts) and 80.3 rtg

Including a 71%, 314, 1 rushing TD game which was a 90.4 rtg and somehow he got benched after?? Wtf is that? Has to be the greatest game in NFL history to be benched after!

If Haskins stayed on par and didn’t even improve the rest of this season and had started every game he’d finish the season w/ an NFL average season in his 1st full season starting in the NFL:

61%, 3800 yds, 16 TDs & 12 ints

That’s miles and miles better then Josh Stinkin Rosen!!

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He's thinking too much.  This is a super-complicated offense.  Lots of pre-snap motions.  Lots of screens, which means his OL is constantly on the move.  There have been clear protection issues- some from the incompetence on the left side of the line, and some from errors in calling out protections at the LOS, which falls on both the C and QB, and is highlighted with a new, complicated offense.  

This has just been a disaster.  Haskins needed to know he had this season to prove himself.  He didn't need to be looking other his shoulder four games into the season.  He's playing scared, both for his job and because he's getting hit, and he is probably behind on the offense due to Covid and everything else.  

A lot of that is what Scot referred to in his presser. He didnt have the preseason and is trying to learn during actual games. And its not working for him this way. Hes becoming shellshocked back there instead. To me it makes sense to pull him, regroup, settle him down, let him catch up. Then reintroduce him to the field of play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

A lot of that is what Scot referred to in his presser. He didnt have the preseason and is trying to learn during actual games. And its not working for him this way. Hes becoming shellshocked back there instead. To me it makes sense to pull him, regroup, settle him down, let him catch up. Then reintroduce him to the field of play.

Oh come on. You know he’s never going to see the field for this franchise again. Apparently Montez was taking snaps ahead of him in practice today. He’s done here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Josh Rosen in his second NFL offense in Miami in an offense talent wise pretty similar to our except they have a better TE, really a great TE:

(6 games, 3 starts) 53%, 576 yds, 1 TD & 5 ints w/ a 52 rtg

Dwayne Haskins in his second offense in the NFL:

4 games: 61%, 949 yards, 4 TDs, 3 ints (all in his worst game in his last 8 starts) and 80.3 rtg

Including a 71%, 314, 1 rushing TD game which was a 90.4 rtg and somehow he got benched after?? Wtf is that? Has to be the greatest game in NFL history to be benched after!

If Haskins stayed on par and didn’t even improve the rest of this season and had started every game he’d finish the season w/ an NFL average season in his 1st full season starting in the NFL:

61%, 3800 yds, 16 TDs & 12 ints

That’s miles and miles better then Josh Stinkin Rosen!!

There has to be more to this.  I haven't watched the game yet since I had a work meeting, and I had to go in on my day off today (where I planned to watch it) but as I have always said here, the film is different from the stats.  There could be things they are working on where he has continued to miss things and they said enough was enough.  I don't agree with that, but there are other things that could be at play and this could be a deceiving stat line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

A lot of that is what Scot referred to in his presser. He didnt have the preseason and is trying to learn during actual games. And its not working for him this way. Hes becoming shellshocked back there instead. To me it makes sense to pull him, regroup, settle him down, let him catch up. Then reintroduce him to the field of play.

And they do that by giving Montez snaps in practice instead of Haskins................

200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Josh Rosen in his second NFL offense in Miami in an offense talent wise pretty similar to our except they have a better TE, really a great TE:

(6 games, 3 starts) 53%, 576 yds, 1 TD & 5 ints w/ a 52 rtg

Dwayne Haskins in his second offense in the NFL:

4 games: 61%, 949 yards, 4 TDs, 3 ints (all in his worst game in his last 8 starts) and 80.3 rtg

Including a 71%, 314, 1 rushing TD game which was a 90.4 rtg and somehow he got benched after?? Wtf is that? Has to be the greatest game in NFL history to be benched after!

If Haskins stayed on par and didn’t even improve the rest of this season and had started every game he’d finish the season w/ an NFL average season in his 1st full season starting in the NFL:

61%, 3800 yds, 16 TDs & 12 ints

That’s miles and miles better then Josh Stinkin Rosen!!

You keep trying to make that narrative of Haskins last game fit. And not a single soul will buy into that mess.

Garbage time stats, and YAC yard from screen passes. Still was blown out.

Haskins was benched after a terrible outing where he was scared to fling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh come on. You know he’s never going to see the field for this franchise again. Apparently Montez was taking snaps ahead of him in practice today. He’s done here. 

tenor.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Rivera was keen on the idea of Haskins being a franchise QB, the best thing for the kid would’ve been to start Allen week 1. Earlier in this thread someone alluded to this being Haskins 4th offense in 11 starts. I would’ve sat Dwayne and allowed him to digest the book, with the plan of giving him the 2nd half of the season as an audition. 
It seems Rivera’s plan was to throw the kid to the wolves. Or maybe Dwayne showed enough on Zoom and in camp to earn the job. Or maybe, as someone also alluded to earlier, Dwayne has some kind of attitude problem and the 4 starts was a lesson to show the kid “hey, you do it our way or these are the results and you’ll be out of the league”. Spitballing, I know.

Bottom line is this doesn’t have to be the end of Dwayne Haskins as the starter in Washington. It’s up to him to show he has the system down, and can improve. Whether it’s later in the season or even week 1 next year. I haven’t been pro or anti Dwayne. I didn’t jump for joy over the pick but hoped it would work out. I haven’t jumped for joy over his play but hoped it would improve. It clearly hasn’t. Given the nonsense he’s been through I’m still willing to give it time. 4 systems in 11 starts? There’s no way anyone would come out and play fast. That said, should he be the only option? Heck no. Rivera knows he isn’t changing culture or results or anything around here until he gets the Quarterback situation figured out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I disagree.  Maybe it’s because I hated the Haskins pick from the beginning or because I knew a new coach meant a new QB.  But please elaborate.

I guess I’m wondering why new coach has to equal new QB. 

Sean McVay didn’t have any issue coaching Jared Goff. Kevin Stefanski doesn’t seem to be bucking against coaching Baker Mayfield. Joe Judge isn’t kicking dirt on Daniel Jones. Matt Lafleur, Dan Quinn, Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden, Adam Gase, Matt Patricia, Mike McCarthy — that’s 10 other coaches right there who are coaching QBs that predated them. Most of those guys are having a lot of success coaching “someone else’s QB.”

Why is Ron Rivera the only one who can’t make any meaningful commitment to trying make it work with a QB he didn’t pick? And no, making him the nominal starter for 4 games and then pulling the plug does not qualify as a meaningful commitment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There has to be more to this.  I haven't watched the game yet since I had a work meeting, and I had to go in on my day off today (where I planned to watch it) but as I have always said here, the film is different from the stats.  There could be things they are working on where he has continued to miss things and they said enough was enough.  I don't agree with that, but there are other things that could be at play and this could be a deceiving stat line. 

No doubt but you also can’t ignore that Haskins got benched after that performance. He missed 5 to 10 things in the game that may have led to a victory. But, he wasn’t awful. I have never seen a QB get benched after such a game.

Rivera already told us why they are moving to Kyle Allen. They aren’t interested in developing Dwayne Haskins as a QB - same as Jay Gruden. They think that they can win the division this year with Kyle Allen (same as Jay Gruden last year w/ Case Keenum) and thus forfeit the chance to draft Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trask or Lance!

Rivera is not interested in rebuilding when it comes to Dwayne Haskins! He’s only interested in rebuilding when it comes to the RB, OL, WR, DL, and secondary! He surely isn’t interested in rebuilding in the LB corps bc he won’t play SDH or Hudson the majority of the game over Bostic & KPL - two guys who are pushing 30.

Rivera is putting all his eggs in one basket right now for one division win over a decade to two decades of being a Super Bowl contender with a top 5 QB in next years draft!

Thats what he wants!

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Bottom line is this doesn’t have to be the end of Dwayne Haskins as the starter in Washington.

Can you think of any QBs who were benched by their coach and then later returned to the field and emerged as a good starting QB?

Thats not a rhetorical question, I’m really asking if you can remember anyone who followed that path. I guess Kirk Cousins here, sort of. But does it ever happen anywhere else, that isn’t, you know, a 25 year dumpster fire? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess I’m wondering why new coach has to equal new QB. 

Sean McVay didn’t have any issue coaching Jared Goff. Kevin Stefanski doesn’t seem to be bucking against coaching Baker Mayfield. Joe Judge isn’t kicking dirt on Daniel Jones. Matt Lafleur, Dan Quinn, Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden, Adam Gase, Matt Patricia, Mike McCarthy — that’s 10 other coaches right there who are coaching QBs that predated them. Most of those guys are having a lot of success coaching “someone else’s QB.”

Why is Ron Rivera the only one who can’t make any meaningful commitment to trying make it work with a QB he didn’t pick? And no, making him the nominal starter for 4 games and then pulling the plug does not qualify as a meaningful commitment. 

I don’t think they like his personality and I don’t think they think they feel he can be the leader - at least not at this time - maybe that changes through out the season or next year. That’s why they’re making the move, it’s a short sided move not a long term move as both you and I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Can you think of any QBs who were benched by their coach and then later returned to the field and emerged as a good starting QB?

Thats not a rhetorical question, I’m really asking if you can remember anyone who followed that path. I guess Kirk Cousins here, sort of. But does it ever happen anywhere else, that isn’t, you know, a 25 year dumpster fire? 

Donovan McNabb in Philly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

If Rivera was keen on the idea of Haskins being a franchise QB, the best thing for the kid would’ve been to start Allen week 1. Earlier in this thread someone alluded to this being Haskins 4th offense in 11 starts. I would’ve sat Dwayne and allowed him to digest the book, with the plan of giving him the 2nd half of the season as an audition. 
It seems Rivera’s plan was to throw the kid to the wolves. Or maybe Dwayne showed enough on Zoom and in camp to earn the job. Or maybe, as someone also alluded to earlier, Dwayne has some kind of attitude problem and the 4 starts was a lesson to show the kid “hey, you do it our way or these are the results and you’ll be out of the league”. Spitballing, I know.

Bottom line is this doesn’t have to be the end of Dwayne Haskins as the starter in Washington. It’s up to him to show he has the system down, and can improve. Whether it’s later in the season or even week 1 next year. I haven’t been pro or anti Dwayne. I didn’t jump for joy over the pick but hoped it would work out. I haven’t jumped for joy over his play but hoped it would improve. It clearly hasn’t. Given the nonsense he’s been through I’m still willing to give it time. 4 systems in 11 starts? There’s no way anyone would come out and play fast. That said, should he be the only option? Heck no. Rivera knows he isn’t changing culture or results or anything around here until he gets the Quarterback situation figured out. 

The beat reporters said Dwayne was clearly ahead of Kyle Allen in August training camp. Dwayne was throwing TDs while Kyle Allen was spraying ints all over the practice field.

I agree with the first part of your post but Dwayne won the job and honestly I don’t really think he’s lost it but Rivera & Turner wanted to go to their guy bc they think bc he knows the offense that magically he’ll be able to play QB better. I guess we’ll see, but I don’t believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...