Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Week 17? Why does Kyle Allen get till week 17 and not Dwayne Haskins? Hypocrisy at it's finnest

I may be mistaken, but I believe the week 17 comment was in relation to Rivera as a GM.

EDIT: Or maybe Rivera as a coach? Regardless, it was more focused on Rivera not Allen.

Edited by Woz

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because the worse GM of all time drafted him.  Not Rivera.  

I know that rationale works for you because you never wanted Haskins, but this isn't an excuse. He's part of the 53 man roster. We invested a 1st just a year ago in him. Regardless of who drafted him, we do not yet have a replacement for him on the roster. And can still get something for him if he develops this year. It's short-sighted to sit him for Kyle-frickin-Allen

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I know that rationale works for you because you never wanted Haskins, but this isn't an excuse. He's part of the 53 man roster. We invested a 1st just a year ago in him. Regardless of who drafted him, we do not yet have a replacement for him on the roster. And can still get something for him if he develops this year. It's short-sighted to sit him for Kyle-frickin-Allen

Actually it is. 

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

Again, as I said earlier, there was a perfectly reasonable case for Rivera had he wanted to go with Allen as "his guy": say Kyle knows the playbook better because of his experience in the system. Had they done that and Allen tanked, they could say, well Haskins is next man up.

They didn't do that. Why? I don't know.

Now, instead, they need Kyle Allen to look lights out better than Haskins. Like not even close numbers. Because if it is close (or forbid worse), a lot of Rivera's credibility will be shot.

Ron Rivera responding to a tweet by Dwayne Haskins' agent insinuating DH is being untreated unfairly bc he has to play well but doesn't have much help on offense. "[Kyle Allen will] have the same unfair shake, and we'll see how it goes."

I think Rivera is making it pretty clear that theres nothing to work with in Haskins and its time to move on.

People saying "Ride it out." Ron sees FAR more of the players than any fan could hope to see. And hes saying Jamarcus is not worth putting on the field.

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Mic drop.  And how far is it before Rivera does something even more damaging like BOB did by trading a whole bunch of draft picks and handing out bad contracts?  Hopefully he doesn't do it but hey, this press conference today surprised me so anything is possible.  

I think Rivera has more sense than Bill OBrien but you could be right. We don't have a player on this team with the profile of DHop demanding to make $20 mil a year as a WR while at the same time the team needs to re-sign their franchise QB and their franchise LT both of whom are younger than the WR. Now, I think he should've found a way to get all 3 accomplished or let Tunsil walk but position impotance wise franchise LT & QB in their prices are greater than franchise WR in his prime. I don't see Rivera trading away picks for vets, they didn't do that in Carolina, they mostly built through the draft.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Actually it is. 

Fine. It is AN excuse.

But not a good one. 

Using your excuse, then all incoming GMs/coaches should cut all of the players that the previous GM drafted.

Look:

He's on the roster. 

We spent a 1st on him and have 4 possible years left on his contract. Which means he has value if we can develop him and get more "film" on him.

Benching him to Siberia only 4 games into an extremely weird season (no OTAs, no Preseason, etc...) is not a smart move.

Yes...you and I agree that we should've drafted someone else last year in the first. We agree that he might not ever be a starting QB. But we can't know unless he actually plays. An if we expect to get anything for him, this was the exact wrong way to set it up.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think Rivera is making it pretty clear that theres nothing to work with in Haskins and its time to move on.

People saying "Ride it out." Ron sees FAR more of the players than any fan could hope to see. And hes saying Jamarcus is not worth putting on the field.

And as a result, he's put a ton of personal credibility at stake when he didn't need to.

He even admitted that they wouldn't have considered this had the division not been so poor and the NFC East crown up for grabs.

So what happens if they don't win it?

What happens if in the process of chasing the crown, they trade picks away to get the "piece" (or I suppose pieces?) to win the crown ... and they still fall short?

Maybe some combination of the players they have now come together and make the team look competent enough that I'll sit here eating crow for a long long time. I would be perfectly fine with that!

However, from what I have seen of the offensive line, I don't think changing the QB is going to change anything for the offense, playbook comprehension or no.

You've gotten your wish: no more Haskins. May it be all that you dreamed of. I say that with all honesty because if it isn't, it's going to be a miserable few months.

22 minutes ago, Woz said:

Again, as I said earlier, there was a perfectly reasonable case for Rivera had he wanted to go with Allen as "his guy": say Kyle knows the playbook better because of his experience in the system. Had they done that and Allen tanked, they could say, well Haskins is next man up.

They didn't do that. Why? I don't know.

Now, instead, they need Kyle Allen to look lights out better than Haskins. Like not even close numbers. Because if it is close (or forbid worse), a lot of Rivera's credibility will be shot.

So.Much.This.

If they were going to do this, you have Kyle start the season. And if he struggled...you then have Dwayne come in. But now, in order for this to make it work for him, Kyle has to come in and look like he did the first part of last season. Because if he comes in and looks like the 2nd half of last season, Rivera loses big time.

Oh, @Thaiphoon, you're senior mod now and all, but I think this thread probably deserves the Feature mark at least (if not more now) than the name thread? I mean they both can have it, right? Maybe rename the thread a bit so that it would look nicer to non-Washington fans.

I don't know ... just ramblings of a fool ...

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Oh, @Thaiphoon, you're senior mod now and all, but I think this thread probably deserves the Feature mark at least (if not more now) than the name thread? I mean they both can have it, right? Maybe rename the thread a bit so that it would look nicer to non-Washington fans.

Great minds...was just realizing it didn't have it up.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Senior mod sounds so......65 and up.....