Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

A lot of that is on him, a lot of it is the scheme and a lot of it is the lack of playmakers. Heck, we don’t even have Steve Sims in the slot bc he hurt his toe vs Arizona. He’s on IR and going into the season he was our 2nd best playmaker and still may be if healthy; it’s between he and Gibson who’s our 2nd best playmaker after Terry.

You can believe what you want but the scheme is an issue. Look at what Haskins was doing last Dec. Look and what not only him but what Allen/Alex did yesterday in this offense. Our offense only had 111 passing yards yesterday, Haskins had 314 last week vs a better Ravens D.

But even going back to his days at Ohio State he was at his best when able to operate in the short to intermediate areas of the field, didn't make very many plays out of the structure of the offense, and didn't make a ton of explosive plays down the field. 

For example Haskins was 26/58 (44%) on throws 20+ yards down field with 20+ yard throws accounting for 6% of his completions and 5% of his attempts. 

Kyler Murray on the other hand was 36/71 on throws 20+ yards down the field (51%) with 20+ yard throws accounting for 14% of his completions and 19% of his attempts. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

But even going back to his days at Ohio State he was at his best when able to operate in the short to intermediate areas of the field, didn't make very many plays out of the structure of the offense, and didn't make a ton of explosive plays down the field. 

For example Haskins was 26/58 (44%) on throws 20+ yards down field with 20+ yard throws accounting for 6% of his completions and 5% of his attempts. 

Kyler Murray on the other hand was 36/71 on throws 20+ yards down the field (51%) with 20+ yard throws accounting for 14% of his completions and 19% of his attempts. 

Well it’s true he’s definitely not Kyler Murray, it’s also true they play defense in the Big10 and not in the Big12.

Again, I don’t think I’ve ever propped up Haskins to be a great QB but, he could develop into a good starter in time with proper coaching, more maturity and if he works his tail off - those two things are lacking right now - I don’t get it, he worked his tail off from February until September and when he was named the starter he acted like he was never going to lose the job, really naive on his part especially if you have teachers pet as your back up.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t get it, he worked his tail off from February until September and when he was named the starter he acted like he was never going to lose the job, really naive on his part especially if you have teachers pet as your back up.

I think some of that can also be attributed to being in a brand new system with limited offseason reps or preseason. And you guys also didn't do a great job of adding more talent or weapons around him either. 

I'm also not really sure how great of a coach that Scott Turner is tbh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think some of that can also be attributed to being in a brand new system with limited offseason reps or preseason. And you guys also didn't do a great job of adding more talent or weapons around him either. 

I'm also not really sure how great of a coach that Scott Turner is tbh. 

No like literally, he stopped working as hard when he was named the starter. It was like he acted like he had arrived. Every single day in the NFL you have to work like you could be replaced and could lose your jobs bc guess what as he learned last week, there is. I don’t get it, even me, I know there are a lot of people who would want my job, I have to work as hard as I can to keep it and outwork the competition. You can’t take your foot off the gas bc you won the original competition.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

No like literally, he stopped working as hard when he was named the starter. It was like he acted like he had arrived. Every single day in the NFL you have to work like you could be replaced and could lose your jobs bc guess what as he learned last week, there is. I don’t get it, even me, I know there are a lot of people who would want my job, I have to work as hard as I can to keep it and outwork the competition. You can’t take your foot off the gas bc you won the original competition.

Yeah that wasn't very smart on his part. Especially considering that Rivera/Turner went out of their way to acquire Allen and you guys also have Alex Smith on the roster too. 

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

How about he throw the ball downfield. Kyle Allen’s longest completion was just 7 yards.

Yeah, I would like to see him do more of that too but he didn't even get to finish the first half. He also matched Haskins' career rushing TDs in that time frame 😄

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Yeah, I would like to see him do more of that too but he didn't even get to finish the first half. He also matched Haskins' career rushing TDs in that time frame 😄

That doesn’t matter. I saw nothing of Allen the last two years to convince me yet that he’s anything but a career back up. Haskins has flashed better potential like the dine to Terry the Ravens. Haskins just has to be more consistent especially w/ his footwork, if he gets that down he’ll be solid if not more. He already makes pretty solid decisions for a 22 year old QB who hadn’t started 16 games yet, save the 2 Browns ints late over the middle when he had receivers open in the flats.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That doesn’t matter. I saw nothing of Allen the last two years to convince me yet that he’s anything but a career back up. Haskins has flashed better potential like the dine to Terry the Ravens. Haskins just has to be more consistent especially w/ his footwork, if he gets that down he’ll be solid if not more. He already makes pretty solid decisions for a 22 year old QB who hadn’t started 16 games yet, save the 2 Browns ints late over the middle when he had receivers open in the flats.

you highlighted one deep ball. He misses way to many easy throws. He has so much work he needs to do.

27 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

you highlighted one deep ball. He misses way to many easy throws. He has so much work he needs to do.

Acknowledged but he’s developing. There’s a reason Haskins was a late 1st or 2nd round prospect & Kyle Allen went udfa. Haskins did win an open competition in August.

He definitely has work to do but the ability is evident he just needs to play more and become more consistent.

With the same game plan as Allen had, Haskins looked better vs the vaunted Ravens D. He’s started 11 games and has 12 TDs (including rushing TD) and 6 ints (3 vs the Browns in his worst game this year), that points to solid decision making for a 22 year old.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Acknowledged but he’s developing. There’s a reason Haskins was a late 1st or 2nd round prospect & Kyle Allen went udfa. Haskins did win an open competition in August.

He definitely has work to do but the ability is evident he just needs to play more and become more consistent.

With the same game plan as Allen had, Haskins looked better vs the vaunted Ravens D. He’s started 11 games and has 12 TDs (including rushing TD) and 6 ints (3 vs the Browns in his worst game this year), that points to solid decision making for a 22 year old.

i hear what you saying but it already sounds like coach is out on him. This isnt a good situation for him. Like gruden stated pre-drafting of haskins, he needed to go somewhere where he can sit for a year or 2 and develop.

4 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

i hear what you saying but it already sounds like coach is out on him. This isnt a good situation for him. Like gruden stated pre-drafting of haskins, he needed to go somewhere where he can sit for a year or 2 and develop.

He could have sat here for a season or two and developed

9 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

Agree.  But he didn't just need to sit, he needed a coach to try to develop him, not just physically but mentally.

4 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

no he couldn't, look how much pressure gruden had on him for not wanting to play haskins. 

Disagree.  Gruden likely would have kept his job if he developed a good relationship with Haskins.