Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I think @ovfd55 is right, we probably would have just taken Sweat at 15.  But that would have opened us to take two more prospects with the 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 2nd round pick.  

Which I believe would be Greedy Williams and Mike Pittman Jr was taken in them spots are both would fit us,but again with no Dewayne I don't think we pick Terry

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

While I’m ranting, if it was so clear that they weren’t believers in Haskins — which must be the case, as they’ve now ended his tenure here after 4 whole games — why not go ahead and take Tua in the draft when they had the chance?

I love Chase Young, but nothing trumps franchise QB at the top of the draft if you don’t have one. And Tua was a legit top pick type prospect. 

Now, we’re in a position where we will clearly be needing to draft a QB this year if we can. Which will be fine if we’re picking high enough to get Lawrence. But we probably won’t be. I wouldn’t wager much money on even being in position to draft Fields, who (at the moment at least) I have as a lesser prospect than Tua. Our division is so bad that we’re likely to pick up another couple wins, plus the defense will probably prove to be reasonably decent enough to keep us in games against other teams that we really shouldn’t beat. 

As I’ve been saying all along, there’s just this lack of coherence in the plan. There’s no overall long term vision or overarching plan that’s guiding them. It’s all these ad hoc decisions, playing things by ear, making each choice in a vacuum, etc. When you operate like that, your decisions start to look random and your strategy incoherent. Which is where they are now. If your choice was to pass on Tua and go with Haskins, okay. Cool. Then actually go with Haskins. Give him the season (or more) to prove whether he can or he can’t. 

But if you were so uninterested or uninvested in Haskins that 4 subpar games in a new system with no talent and no legitimate offseason/preseason would be enough to pull the plug — how do you not just take Tua and pull the plug then, before going through the motions for a few games?

Because Chase Young was the best prospect in the draft and in evaluating the Washington roster last December and in January & February Rivera could see that this team was likely going to be in contention for the #1 pick in 2020 again.

So, in back to back years you get a generational talent on your defense at DE and you have a chance to get a franchise QB the flowing draft.

Long term that sounds like an amazing strategy for building a team that can compete for Super Bowls in the future.

We drafted Julius Peppers last year, this year we could draft a better prospect at QB then Cam Newton was.

47 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What are you going to say if he doesn't?

I can say what's regurgitated over & over...

Not enough talent on offense

Our o-line sucks, etc. Which I don't totally disagree with.

But a good QB, makes the players around him better.

Just like a loaded and stacked offense can make a bad QB, look better than he really is.

Lots of answers coming this weekend.

We better all hope, it was just Haskins.

Otherwise, were in for a long rebuild.

46 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I'd say no one cause don't think we get Terry if we didn't take Haskins.

But most likely It been Sweat or Brain Burns there if we didn't go QB,Trent wasn't threating at time of that draft so prob wouldn't of went Oline coulda went WR with Hollywood or DK.

Definitely right and we would’ve kept our 2nd round pick for the 2020 draft bc we wouldn’t have traded up for Sweat.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

While I’m ranting, if it was so clear that they weren’t believers in Haskins — which must be the case, as they’ve now ended his tenure here after 4 whole games — why not go ahead and take Tua in the draft when they had the chance?

I love Chase Young, but nothing trumps franchise QB at the top of the draft if you don’t have one. And Tua was a legit top pick type prospect. 

Now, we’re in a position where we will clearly be needing to draft a QB this year if we can. Which will be fine if we’re picking high enough to get Lawrence. But we probably won’t be. I wouldn’t wager much money on even being in position to draft Fields, who (at the moment at least) I have as a lesser prospect than Tua. Our division is so bad that we’re likely to pick up another couple wins, plus the defense will probably prove to be reasonably decent enough to keep us in games against other teams that we really shouldn’t beat. 

As I’ve been saying all along, there’s just this lack of coherence in the plan. There’s no overall long term vision or overarching plan that’s guiding them. It’s all these ad hoc decisions, playing things by ear, making each choice in a vacuum, etc. When you operate like that, your decisions start to look random and your strategy incoherent. Which is where they are now. If your choice was to pass on Tua and go with Haskins, okay. Cool. Then actually go with Haskins. Give him the season (or more) to prove whether he can or he can’t. 

But if you were so uninterested or uninvested in Haskins that 4 subpar games in a new system with no talent and no legitimate offseason/preseason would be enough to pull the plug — how do you not just take Tua and pull the plug then, before going through the motions for a few games?

Also, if we really want Lawrence, what better way to get him than play the qb you don't believe in? 

But I am completely on board with you.  We will not be in a position to draft Lawrence and it is likely the team that is in position will want him.  At best we will have the opportunity to acquire him with a trade up and that trade up will require a sacrifice in the RG3 trade range or more which is no way to build a franchise. 

You are correct about Tua.  We at least had an opportunity to get Tua and that ability to pull the trigger is a huge piece of the equation.  We won't for Lawrence.  But honestly if the staff really had no faith in Haskins, why didn't they get someone better than Allen?  Obviously, Newton was available.  But there were other reasonable options, not that we had a cap restriction.  We could have got Winston for instance.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, British said:

This.

WFT ain't making the playoffs this year, and Kyle Allen is not the long term solution to winning a championship.  All this move likely does is make the 2021 draft picks worse while eradicating Haskin's confidence and trade value. 

Snyder has to be the worst owner in the NFL.

It wasn’t Snyder’s decision, it was Ron’s Snyder, it’s been reported Snyder wasn’t consulted.

If it was Snyder’s decision alone, Haskins wouldn’t be benched all year. It was Snyder’s decision to draft Haskins against Gruden’s wishes for example. Which was the beginning of the end for Gruden in April of 2019.

Gruden wanted them to keep Cousins, Allen/Snyder didn’t and we’ve been 11-25 since we didn’t re-sign Cousins. Gruden was right about that one, what Gruden couldn’t do was get the right defensive players in DC and get a good defensive coordinator, instead he kept hiring drinking buddies like Joe Barry & Greg Manusky instead of Wade Phillips, Mike Pettine or Gus Bradley. Ugh, those defensive coordinator moves cost us 2 playoff appearances IMO.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

Also, if we really want Lawrence, what better way to get him than play the qb you don't believe in? 

But I am completely on board with you.  We will not be in a position to draft Lawrence and it is likely the team that is in position will want him.  At best we will have the opportunity to acquire him with a trade up and that trade up will require a sacrifice in the RG3 trade range or more which is no way to build a franchise. 

You are correct about Tua.  We at least had an opportunity to get Tua and that ability to pull the trigger is a huge piece of the equation.  We won't for Lawrence.  But honestly if the staff really had no faith in Haskins, why didn't they get someone better than Allen?  Obviously, Newton was available.  But there were other reasonable options, not that we had a cap restriction.  We could have got Winston for instance.  

If they didn’t believe in Haskins, I 100% agree that they should’ve signed Cam Newton.

On the flip side, Newton isn’t a long term answer. Ron wants a long term answer, so he gave Haskins his chance - not enough of one IMO but still he had a chance - now he goes to Allen and they’re going to be in position to draft their own QB they hope will develop into a franchise guy for them for the next 15-20 years. Now it’s possible they end with w/ the #1 pick and take Lawrence, more likely they’re selecting Fields, Lance or Trask and hoping that guy develops into what they don’t think Haskins will. My guess is they are drafting Fields now w/ their #2 or 3 pick in the draft.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If they didn’t believe in Haskins, I 100% agree that they should’ve signed Cam Newton.

On the flip side, Newton isn’t a long term answer. Ron wants a long term answer, so he gave Haskins his chance - not enough of one IMO but still he had a chance - now he goes to Allen and they’re going to be in position to draft their own QB they hope will develop into a franchise guy for them for the next 15-20 years. Now it’s possible they end with w/ the #1 pick and take Lawrence, more likely they’re selecting Fields, Lance or Trask and hoping that guy develops into what they don’t think Haskins will. My guess is they are drafting Fields now w/ their #2 or 3 pick in the draft.

Tell me about him . Does he run at all? I know he has size and assumed a strong arm .

11 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I can say what's regurgitated over & over...

Not enough talent on offense

Our o-line sucks, etc. Which I don't totally disagree with.

But a good QB, makes the players around him better.

Just like a loaded and stacked offense can make a bad QB, look better than he really is.

Lots of answers coming this weekend.

We better all hope, it was just Haskins.

Otherwise, were in for a long rebuild.

It’s not just Haskins. A lot of people have been saying Haskins was set up to fail and looking at the roster they’re right. Washington doesn’t have a #2 WR, they have a LT only starting his first season at LT who some thought should’ve been cut before this year.  We don’t have a starting TE and our LG has been one of the worst starting OL in the league.

Do you want to talk defense?

We have a great DL, our LBs are jags, our corners are surprising good and our safeties look like the worst tandem in the league.

The teams issues are far worse than Haskins, in fact I’d argue Haskins was the least of this teams problems the first month outside of the Browns game and obviously Terry, Moses, our DL, and our corners have been better than Dwayne, but dude, that’s it! On our entire roster.

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Tell me about him . Does he run at all? I know he has size and assumed a strong arm .

Yes, Fields is a mobile QB but he’s also a pass first QB. He’s no where near Lawrence as a passer, but he’s good and the talent is there for him to develop much better as a passer. He’s a better QB prospect than Haskins when you put the entire package together. His feet are better than Haskins - which causes Haskins’s problems - and Fields can escape pressure. We can also run zone read with him, he’s not a run first QB though, don’t think Lamar Jackson or RG3, think more Russell Wilson type QB.