2020: Week 5 - v Arizona Cardinals

Bianconero

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

So anyone else wanna tell us the coach isn’t the biggest problem or nah? 

Nope. Lol. It’s pretty clear Gase is the problem. Robby looks good and some of our OL players have looked descent on other teams.

Darnold is part of the problem though. His accuracy hasn’t been good. And his deep ball accuracy hasn’t been throughout his career.

The first play of the game pretty much showed how this, and every other one of our games goes. Even in the rare event of us getting someone open, we mess it up.

Man, Gase should've been fired in the middle of this game. The second he called an HB dive on 2nd and 26. OMG. You're 0-4. Do something. I don't fault the trick play for getting us into that situation (again, we had to try something), but the dive afterward was such a give up.

I couldn't tell if it was Flacco checking down, or the play calls, but at least early on we repeatedly threw the ball short of the sticks and it drove me nuts. This team isn't good enough to complete three passes in a row. We just aren't. You need to throw it beyond the first down marker three times and hope that one of them is caught.

Also, we couldn't make 3rd/4th and 1 if our lives depended on it. Also, it's time to start benching players who are just awful. Chris Herndon is number 1. Please learn to catch before returning.

Positives:

• The running game looked good
  • Crowder, by far my favourite Jet, always looks great
  • We won the turnover battle. And perhaps even more surprisingly, the penalty one too. Though, these two things make the final score even sadder.
Edited by TheChad

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I didn’t watch the game. How bad was it? 

We actually looked like we could play defense for a while early on, which was nice. Honestly, I don't know how Hopkins and Fitzgerald weren't burning us left, right and centre, but they weren't. And we didn't go penalty crazy. And we actually had an effective running game, which is nice.

But even with all of that, we plodded along at about 4.5 yards per attempt passing. Almost exclusively throwing < 10 yards, and then not even being effective doing that. Throwing to anyone other than Crowder was largely a waste of time. And when they knew we were running (3rd/4th and 1), we couldn't do anything.

And eventually we stopped being able to hold back their offense, and we did our usual trick of losing by several touchdowns.

I really would have liked to see more deep shots with Flacco's arm, even if we had to do a flea flicker or rollouts or anything to buy the extra time.

15 minutes ago, TheChad said:

We actually looked like we could play defense for a while early on, which was nice. Honestly, I don't know how Hopkins and Fitzgerald weren't burning us left, right and centre, but they weren't. And we didn't go penalty crazy. And we actually had an effective running game, which is nice.

But even with all of that, we plodded along at about 4.5 yards per attempt passing. Almost exclusively throwing < 10 yards, and then not even being effective doing that. Throwing to anyone other than Crowder was largely a waste of time. And when they knew we were running (3rd/4th and 1), we couldn't do anything.

And eventually we stopped being able to hold back their offense, and we did our usual trick of losing by several touchdowns.

I really would have liked to see more deep shots with Flacco's arm, even if we had to do a flea flicker or rollouts or anything to buy the extra time.

Did anyone besides Crowder stand out?

19 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Did anyone besides Crowder stand out?

Brian Poole made a really good tackle at one point.

Bell had a few decent runs but nothing too long.

We went for it on fourth down (4th and 1) inside the Arizona 15 and didn't make it. But I liked the call to go for it.

That's about all I've got.

I didn't notice if we lined Bell up at WR at all, but I did notice he barely had any receptions. Possibly due to him having to pass protect, but if so, why not put him and Gore in together and have Gore handle pass protection? Would be nice to get Bell involved more in the passing game. It's not like anything else we're trying is going so well that we don't want to mess with it.

36 minutes ago, TheChad said:

Brian Poole made a really good tackle at one point.

Bell had a few decent runs but nothing too long.

We went for it on fourth down (4th and 1) inside the Arizona 15 and didn't make it. But I liked the call to go for it.

That's about all I've got.

I didn't notice if we lined Bell up at WR at all, but I did notice he barely had any receptions. Possibly due to him having to pass protect, but if so, why not put him and Gore in together and have Gore handle pass protection? Would be nice to get Bell involved more in the passing game. It's not like anything else we're trying is going so well that we don't want to mess with it.

Bell was targeted as a receiver ONE time.

Its wierd too, because Flacco was always known as a check down guy.

The reason we didnt give up many points early was because Murray was playing pretty poorly. He made some very I'll advised throws ), and should have been picked 3 times instead of 1. He was inaccurate too, with some bad throws and some plays where the Cardinal wrs made great grabs including a 50/50 ball in the endzone and a one handed grab over the middle.

We did have chances in the game too, but failed to convert. Herndon dropped a TD pass and a first down grab. We had Smith and Berrios drop back to back 30 yard td passes too.

The good news really is that.Crowder looks good. Maybe if Perriman gets healthy Berrios/smith get less snaps that might be good. Though Hogan is probably out for the season soo theres that.

15 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Up date on the one trick pony, 8 rec for 112 yards. 

People need to relax on the Robby watch most of us thought he was a good WR and worth keeping.  He was never that good here and would never be that good here.  He has a competent coach and QB in CAR and we don't.  You think he'd be putting up 100+ yard games here with this coach and QB combo?  He have his occasional big game followed by his 30 yard games like always.

Perriman never had a chance to live up to Robby here.  The situations are completely different.  Even if he was healthy we wouldn't use him properly and the QB would miss him if he was open anyway.

This season is a disaster and Robby would have fallen in line like all the other players.

My biggest disappointment this season is Marcus Maye.  I really liked him coming out and despite Safety not being the way to build I was so excited to have Jamal in the box and Maye as the ball hawk and thought we would be set.  Now with Jamal gone, Maye had the chance to step up and become a leader and play a role that was better for his skillset and besides week 1 this guy has been a shadow out there.  Missing tackles/out of position.  I want to say Q is a disappointment but I didn't have as high of hopes for him. John Franklin-Myers (who?) has played better than Q, disgusting.  Even though Desir gets worked at least he has a pulse out there.  He's one of the only guys I can respect.

One thing that almost every QB is capable of in this league except the Jets and maybe the Skins....big plays, quick strikes.  If Darnold or Flacco is on pace for 240 yards they stay at that clip.  If Murray, or any other QB, is on pace for 240 yards all it takes is one drive with two big chunks to Hopkins and he's at 380 yards.  In this day and age if you cannot hit big plays and quick strikes then you won't go anywhere.  Yes Hopkins helps, but so does Kliff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ekill08x said:

So anyone else wanna tell us the coach isn’t the biggest problem or nah? 

It is hard for me to judge Gase, remember I lived thru the Rich Kotite,  era, and there is no question he was by far the worst NY Jet head coach ever. But to answer you question yes he is a big part of our problems. But he will be gone at the end of the season.