Should we be terrified of Jack Easterby?

ObotimusPrime

3 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30090024/sources-houston-texans-hire-jed-hughes-search-firm-vice-chairman-assist-gm-search

They're going to be bringing in someone else to find a GM. Easterby will act as GM, but like Crennel will only be interim.

He’s basically just a figurehead cause the NFL says you have to state your GM and HC. That’s why interim guys are named. Cal said all that in his presser.

To answer the OP's question.  YES!  Clowney and Hop fleecings had Easterby's thinly veiled  "character" fingerprints all over them. Not sure if Cal is quite as much of a right-wing christian fundamentalist as daddy was, but Pastor Jack got in the right peoples ear about Hop's "baby momma's" and somehow turned it into Aaron Hernandez, Jevon Belcher level issue which is where he made his "name."  I'm terrified he will lead us in the direction of some Hugh Freeze type hypocritical bible banger and somewhere down the road we will find ourselves with Kirk Cousins leading the huddle in bible study.  To be clear, I don't have anything against a religious head coach and maybe this angle leads us to Dabo, but it also could lead us to Marvis Lewis or Mark Richt type. I've never had a problem with this franchise including character as an important intangible as I don't want to ever be in the Antonio Brown business, but we have dipped our toes into some pretty shaky ground when it comes to cultural and racial issues especially when being all-in defending and paying Cushing because he checks some "right" boxes with ownership while bouncing Nuk, Clowney, Brown, Foster, AJ, et al.  To be blunt, I think this team has had a simmering racial issue for years now and hiring a guy like Bieniemy would go a long way to fixing that issue whether real of perceptual.  Make no mistake, Bieniemy is more than qualified to coach this team on his own merits and gets the Andy Reid stamp of character approval, but I just worry that a guy like Easterby will be the one in Cal's ear with scary stories about Eric being a "Q" (you know the "branding" fraternity from Howard) and a silly incident at Colorado that got Eric banned for a year.   

Look, had my boy Rhule been available (that Panthers team has 0-5 talent and sits in first place), I would have been all aboard the Easterby train and Frank Reich fits the Easterby mold too, but simple fact is that I just don't trust the dude. We just got rid of one power mad egomaniacal zealot and it's just scary that Easterby is cut from the same cloth even if he does it with hugs and happy prayers instead of profane tantrums.  I just want us to be a championship football org, not someone's Sunday school project.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone hates Easterby because he was brought in to fix a toxic culture and everyone blames him for getting rid of Hopkins and others that didn’t fit the culture they are wanting to build. Then everyone sides with Watson in his dispute with the Texans personnel moves. Then come to find out Watson is a perv. Perhaps the new culture shift that Easterby was brought in to oversee is much more needed than anyone of us realized. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 10:45 AM, tab said:

Easterby was on staff when all these allegations occurred, his effectiveness is not existent, culture-wise 

If Deshaun is the one ruining the culture, though, what would you have done different? 

27 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:
On 4/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, tab said:

Easterby was on staff when all these allegations occurred, his effectiveness is not existent, culture-wise 

If Deshaun is the one ruining the culture, though, what would you have done different? 

The thing is, Easterby was dying to get back on Watson's good side... until the accusations came out:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

Easterby delivered a speech that was described in multiple direct accounts as a lengthy missive intended to be rousing. The discourse centered almost entirely on Deshaun Watson, the Texans’ star quarterback at the end of a historically great—if wasted—season. Easterby, those sources said, was effusive in his praise for the quarterback, but to the dismay of many, he did not extend the same attention to: J.J. Watt, the team leader and greatest player in franchise history, who was on the verge of completing only his second healthy season in the past five years.

...multiple players texted their representatives that night to describe a meandering address unlike any they’d heard. Others, one source said, left the meeting “pissed off,” believing Easterby’s only intention was to curry favor with the quarterback. Watson, if anything, was embarrassed by the show, two sources said...

...According to multiple sources, Easterby has reached out to several players this week with a personal plea. Often through tears, he’s shared accounts of his receiving death threats and his family’s having to relocate to a hotel. He implored these players to support him to prominent Texans, like Watson, or publicly, these sources say.

So, Easterby's culture? It included Watson. Anyone saying otherwise is being willfully ignorant... and/or obtuse to the situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The thing is, Easterby was dying to get back on Watson's good side... until the accusations came out:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

Easterby delivered a speech that was described in multiple direct accounts as a lengthy missive intended to be rousing. The discourse centered almost entirely on Deshaun Watson, the Texans’ star quarterback at the end of a historically great—if wasted—season. Easterby, those sources said, was effusive in his praise for the quarterback, but to the dismay of many, he did not extend the same attention to: J.J. Watt, the team leader and greatest player in franchise history, who was on the verge of completing only his second healthy season in the past five years.

...multiple players texted their representatives that night to describe a meandering address unlike any they’d heard. Others, one source said, left the meeting “pissed off,” believing Easterby’s only intention was to curry favor with the quarterback. Watson, if anything, was embarrassed by the show, two sources said...

...According to multiple sources, Easterby has reached out to several players this week with a personal plea. Often through tears, he’s shared accounts of his receiving death threats and his family’s having to relocate to a hotel. He implored these players to support him to prominent Texans, like Watson, or publicly, these sources say.

So, Easterby's culture? It included Watson. Anyone saying otherwise is being willfully ignorant... and/or obtuse to the situation.

That's good background information on the situation, but IMO none of that clarifies what could/should have been done any differently. If Watson is skeezy and the FO are very off-put by it but see that the entire team follows this young star QB, can they really just openly not slob his, even if they behind closed doors are trying to figure out how to get him out of there? This was all assuming the premise of "What if Watson has actually always been the bad guy, that he did all that with the massage therapists and a team running a billion dollar business finds out about this and has to figure out what to do?" I don't know if that run-on sentence clarified it at all.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

The front office knew watson was “ruining the culture” by doing behavior stuff that, when it came out, not only shocked the entire NFL and his own teammates denied it... so... they sign him to a massive deal and refuse to even entertain trade offers 

How would I handle it? I’m not a billionaire financially invested in this team but I would have told him in person to knock it off, or else I’d inform the NFL that this was going on, instead of hoping a two bit youth pastor would some how come in and fix everything 

Edited by tab