How Would You Punish the Titans?

AFlaccoSeagulls

37 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Does this change anything?

No. This isn’t the offseason where guys can get it on their own time and it effects only them. Their actions were attempting to circumvent the rules in the first place, the NFL only had to “inform them” because the players were acting like children trying to play the “well my dad said no, so I’ll just go to my mom and ask” type of games.

Players throughout the league are relying on each other to complete this season. Their actions have already caused multiple teams to have to adjust their schedule and cause a competitive imbalance rippling throughout the league. If it was innocuous, no big deal, things happen. But these actions were pre-meditated actions and they didn’t consult the NFL to verify to make sure their actions were sanctioned.

So no, they are STILL having positive tests. I’m not quite on the @ET80 level, but I’d:

- Fine them no less than $10m to the organization.
- Then I would suspend (without pay) the main players involved in putting together that workout for 1-2 games.
- All 15 players in attendance receive a 50k fine.
- Dock them a 2021 1st round pick

As far as I’m concerned if the organization didn’t want to be docked draft picks, they should’ve self punished before the need of the NFL to get involved.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

No. This isn’t the offseason where guys can get it on their own time and it effects only them. Their actions were attempting to circumvent the rules in the first place, the NFL only had to “inform them” because the players were acting like children trying to play the “well my dad said no, so I’ll just go to my mom and ask” type of games.

I would have agreed before that news from Davenport came out.  Now I'm not so sure.  Basically, at that point in time, they were being told your facility is shut down until Saturday and you still have a game to play on Sunday.  They had all been receiving daily negative tests.  Given all of that, I don't find the players' actions reprehensible (not saying you used that word).

If a negative test on your team is supposed to mean that it's obvious you can't gather together anymore, why did the Pats/Chiefs game happen?  I think there is plenty of blame for the NFL here.  Of course, they're not going to punish themselves.  We will be made an example of.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Titans should get fixed about $500,000, lose their first round pick and forfeit both the Steelers and Bills games. Send a message that is so loud, no one will dare violate protocol again.

I usually agree with you I feel 80-90ish% on here, but no, this is a bad take.

I don't really see the issue with them getting together to practice if they were testing negative. It's really not fair for the NFL to expect teams to play unprepared. It's not really fair to fans, either. I get the money at stake but don't agree with compromising your product for it

A hefty fine makes the most sense, probably along with a draft pick if the league wants to show how serious this is. A first rounder is a bit much. I think a 3rd is justifiable and fair.

As for the games, I don't like the idea of forfeiting. It's not fair to the other players who have done nothing wrong. Play the games at a later date.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What don't you like about it? 

Probably the forfeiture part if I had to guess. Most people aren’t a fan of that. The Steelers (and Bills) due to no efforts of their own would go from being screwed to heavily benefiting from this. They get a free W, guarantee themselves no injuries, and still gain access to their bye week so they can enjoy birthday parties.

Same with the Bills really, just to a lesser degree.

I will say that if they usher a forfeiture it needs to be for BOTH games, otherwise the Bills REALLY benefit when it comes to playoff seeding with like competitors, while Steelers end up screwed. Either both teams benefit or neither do.

Though tbf this is why forfeitures get to be bad takes. Bills and Steelers would both receive a huge leg up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Probably the forfeiture part if I had to guess. Most people aren’t a fan of that. The Steelers (and Bills) due to no efforts of their own would go from being screwed to heavily benefiting from this. They get a free W, guarantee themselves no injuries, and still gain access to their bye week so they can enjoy birthday parties.

Same with the Bills really, just to a lesser degree.

I will say that if they usher a forfeiture it needs to be for BOTH games, otherwise the Bills REALLY benefit when it comes to playoff seeding with like competitors, while Steelers end up screwed. Either both teams benefit or neither do.

Though tbf this is why forfeitures get to be bad takes. Bills and Steelers would both receive a huge leg up.

I also think 1st Round Pick is wayyyy too steep for this. Did they use a camera system to assist them in multiple Super Bowls like the Pats? No. (sorry Pat fans...)

I'd do a 4th. And even if it was a 5th or 6th with mass six figure fines (way higher than normal), I'd be ok with that.

Edited by BayRaider

This is my prediction:

Titans - $400,000 Fine

Mike Vrabel - $150,000 Fine

Each Player that can 100%, conclusively, be identified - $100,000 Fine

5th Round Draft Choice that can turn into a 4th Round Draft Choice if any further COVID violations. 

Personally I think it’s fair. You have to understand these fines are wayyy higher than the norm. 

Edited by BayRaider

I'm out on forfeiting games. Sure it punishes the Titans, but is also screws over the AFC North and AFC east. The Bill's and Steelers get free wins that no one else gets, and in the Bills case they get a second bye week to boot. Less wear and tear, more recovery time and free wins... that's not good for the integrity of the league. Leave any punishment solely at the feet of the Titans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

I would have agreed before that news from Davenport came out.  Now I'm not so sure.  Basically, at that point in time, they were being told your facility is shut down until Saturday and you still have a game to play on Sunday.  They had all been receiving daily negative tests.  Given all of that, I don't find the players' actions reprehensible (not saying you used that word).

If a negative test on your team is supposed to mean that it's obvious you can't gather together anymore, why did the Pats/Chiefs game happen?  I think there is plenty of blame for the NFL here.  Of course, they're not going to punish themselves.  We will be made an example of.

I get the idea of them being screwed out of practice time. If I’m the NFL perhaps I would have strongly considering shutting the Steelers facility down as well for a competitive equality.

But all of that is besides the fact. The players know what we’re dealing with here. While the morality rate is low, they’re still gambling with protocol set in place by medical advisors to best keep the contact rate/mortality rate even lower.

If they felt it was unfair to not be given practice time, they’re professionals; you go through the proper channels. They didn’t care to and have adversely impacted this NFL season already. One team has lost their bye week and another has had to move theirs. Let’s say they can’t play the Bills or have to play them on a Tuesday, now they Bills might accumulate more injuries due to such a schedule jump than they might have otherwise endured.

The league mismanaging things doesn’t change the fact that the Titans have mismanaged things. If the league shuts down because they didn’t mandate players bubble into hotels or create multiple bubble regions, that’s their fault. Their punishment is the league being forced to close down and lose hefty amounts of money. So their mismanagement of this situation doesn’t excuse in anyway the Titans players from disobeying protocols all the while saying they were obeying them.

Now if we come to learn that Vrabel had knowledge of the off campus practices and approved them, I want him suspended as well for a couple games.

Now again, if this were the offseason and players got together like this and an outbreak occurred, no big deal. I’m completely with their decision to practice. But in season, nope. The incubation period is 14 days and you can spread it 3 days before even showing symptoms, players trying to find grey areas in the rule book have to be severely punished so that no other team will even think of doing something so nonchalant.

So be it a 1st or a 2nd, I’d definitely be docking a pick from them amongst everything else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The incubation period is 14 days and you can spread it 3 days before even showing symptoms, players trying to find grey areas in the rule book have to be severely punished so that no other team will even think of doing something so nonchalant.

Absolutely correct.  I would just like people to acknowledge the hypocrisy of the NFL for allowing the Pats/Chiefs game to be played two whole days after Cam tested positive.  And now we have Gilmore with a positive test.  I just think this is less about "players trying to find grey areas" as it is about the NFL not taking the incubation period into account in their protocols.  Now the Titans are going to pay the price for that.

• Like 1