How Would You Punish the Titans?

AFlaccoSeagulls

20 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Given what we know, that the Titans ignored league protocols and continued to hold practices with players having the virus, how would you personally punish the Titans if you an NFL GM?

Personally, I would forfeit their next 1st round pick and force them to hire Bill O'Brien as HC for one-year while Mike Vrabel is suspended without pay for one year.

You’re the worst. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

My only issue with this - there's absolutely no argument whatsoever that has professional sports as anything that's even remotely essential. It's the pinnacle of entertainment - but it's still entertainment.

You can argue almost everything outside of grocery stores are not essential, and mostly everything is open anyways. Even tons of theaters are open, especially in Florida, Texas, etc. Plus sports can argue that it takes peoples mind off the pandemic and calms down mass panic, which it does. Lot of worse things open than sports. And it’s certainly working, UFC and NFL have some of their highest ratings all time, heck UFC is breaking records with their ratings. The only one suffering big time is NBA, down 70% in ratings all season, down 75% in the Finals, and the lowest rated Finals games since the Early 80’s because they decided to have politics in sports (Mark Cuban will blame everything else... but that’s the true answer). NFL and UFC are taking peoples minds off things and really proving a distraction for the pandemic, politics, etc. I honestly think both companies have done a great job so far. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You can argue almost everything outside of grocery stores are not essential, and mostly everything is open anyways. Even tons of theaters are open, especially in Florida, Texas, etc. Plus sports can argue that it takes peoples mind off the pandemic and calms down mass panic, which it does. Lot of worse things open than sports. And it’s certainly working, UFC and NFL have some of their highest ratings all time, heck UFC is breaking records with their ratings. The only one suffering big time is NBA, down 70% in ratings all season, down 75% in the Finals, and the lowest rated Finals games since the Early 80’s because they decided to have politics in sports (Mark Cuban will blame everything else... but that’s the true answer). NFL and UFC are taking peoples minds off things and really proving a distraction for the pandemic, politics, etc. I honestly think both companies have done a great job so far. 

That's fine, but let's not pretend the NFL/NBA/MLB/UFC are acting altruistically in their efforts. They're trying to get paid - as are other industries specializing in entertainment.

My premise is counter to the following:

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

This take is getting stale. SO MANY companies stayed open through this thing. Just because our perception is that everyone in the NFL can afford to stop working (they can't), doesn't mean that's what they should do. It's not feasible for any company to take the incubation period into account. 

The league isn't doing this to make sure the players get their checks, they're doing it for TV money the networks are contracted to them. In the case of the NFL, they rushed to get a product televised with no real plan in place. Everyone else did have a plan, however.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

My only issue with this - there's absolutely no argument whatsoever that has professional sports as anything that's even remotely essential. It's the pinnacle of entertainment - but it's still entertainment.

A little off topic, but early on in the pandemic I saw that a car wash near where I live wasn't going to close. They never did. A printing company in my area also deemed itself "essential" - where their main business was printing retail signage. They never closed.

The people at the printing company were near a 50/50 split between people who wanted to close and people who didn't so they could keep working and get their full pay check. Neither of those businesses were anything close to essential.

While the NFL is not essential to us, cancelling it (and let's be honest, it wouldn't just be the NFL right? MLB, NBA, College Football) would suddenly put millions of people out of a job. And just sticking with the NFL example, let's look at James Robinson. James Robinson has probably secured himself a spot as the Jaguars starting RB going forward, and if he keeps on his current trajectory, will go from making a few hundred thousand a year with an uncertain future to a guy making millions. If the season was cancelled, that doesn't happen, and maybe the Jaguars draft a RB higher next year, because the NFL draft would still happen, even without College Football. So while it may not be essential in the true meaning of the term, I'd argue it's just as essential as most of the companies that decided to never close and have not taken nearly the measures the NFL has to keep the virus at bay.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's fine, but let's not pretend the NFL/NBA/MLB/UFC are acting altruistically in their efforts. They're trying to get paid - as are other industries specializing in entertainment.

My premise is counter to the following:

The league isn't doing this to make sure the players get their checks, they're doing it for TV money the networks are contracted to them. In the case of the NFL, they rushed to get a product televised with no real plan in place. Everyone else did have a plan, however.

Feels like the plan has been okay. Save for the Titans, we made it through 25% of the season with only one game negatively impacted by COVID (Patriots/Chiefs), and only because it was the starting QB.

No company has really been acting altruistically - they're all in it to make money. The NFL will be losing a TON of revenue. Sure, the TV money is there - but the revenue from 256 games times 60,000 tickets times $150 (just guessing on averages) is 1.5 BILLION dollars that they're going to lose - well not all of it since some stadiums are partially filled - but that's a billion dollars they'll lose for playing this year. Without knowing the full extent of their financial situation, I don't see them being any greedier than any other business that decided to never close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Bit of an overreaction, that. All your points you made - show me where I've said the counter. I think they should have moved the KC/NE game, not cancel the season. 

I would also probably have wanted the game moved if my teams starting QB was out. With the protection and emphasis placed on QBs, that's something they should have talked about.

21 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Big fine and take away a draft pick. Maybe a 2nd or a 3rd.

I think they should forfeit the chance to play in the postseason next time they are eligible and take away their 1st rounder next year.

They are putting peoples lives in danger, they need more than a slap on the wrist. 

So with the news that it's multiple workouts that happened after October 1, almost any punishment the NFL is willing to doll out is appropriate.  That said, I know the NFL doesn't have unlimited power in this, so it's still probably limited to fines, etc.

I would say maybe the best punishment is a fine for each individual player, and complete forfeiting of the profits generated by the Titans and their TV contracts for at least two weeks.  Forfeiting the games seems to be the only way to handle the Bills game.  Otherwise, you risk spreading the disease further and injuries to both sides.  Plus, I imagine the NFLPA would (rightly) go ape**** if the NFL tried to make teams play without practice.

As Rags said, it'll be a problem for TV contracts, but they almost certainly have payout provisions.  That's what they can use the Titans' fine for.

A draft pick ought to be taken too.  Not a first, I think that's a bit much, considering the NFL's ****ty policies are also to blame.  But a second, sure.

6 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

I think forfeit Bills game, HEAVY FINES to everyone, owner, GM, coach, and all players involved. Also loss of one draft pick, although I think anything above a 3rd would be excessive.

Meh, I don't think forfeiting a draft pick is a fair thing to do. Make them lose games. Make the Titans pay the salaries of the Bills players that weren't gonna be paid for not playing the game.

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Meh, I don't think forfeiting a draft pick is a fair thing to do. Make them lose games. Make the Titans pay the salaries of the Bills players that weren't gonna be paid for not playing the game.

That's fair, but knowing the NFL they will probably keep all that fine money for themselves 🙄

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Why isn't it fair to be punished with a draft pick loss?