How Would You Punish the Titans?

AFlaccoSeagulls

I don’t think forfeiture is the way to go, and I’m a Bills fan. That takes away competitive balance, and isn’t fair to other teams seeing as the Bills could’ve lost that game.

If it is found to be true that they broke protocol after Oct 1st they need to be decimated. Vrabel suspended for a season, 1st round pick forfeited, massive fine, players found to be at said practices also get lengthy suspensions.

• Like 3

Everyone is accountable for someone...

Coaches should have watched the players...

Management should have watched the coaches...

Ownership should have watched the management...

NFL should have watched their owners...

So the NFL should fine the NFL 1 Trillion dollars.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I don’t think forfeiture is the way to go, and I’m a Bills fan. That takes away competitive balance, and isn’t fair to other teams seeing as the Bills could’ve lost that game.

If it is found to be true that they broke protocol after Oct 1st they need to be decimated. Vrabel suspended for a season, 1st round pick forfeited, massive fine, players found to be at said practices also get lengthy suspensions.

Forfeiture is probably the only way to go with as bad as the outbreak is.  Yeah, it'll screw up the competitive balance, but you can't just reschedule the game again and give them another bye week, or march them out missing like 15 players, possibly more infected, and no practice, or we'll both lose 10 more players to injury.

None of this will matter in a few weeks when several other teams get hit this hard anyway though.

And for the record, the Florio rumored punishment would be too extreme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’d target the organizers of said practices. Should allow the Titans to still field a team so as not to interrupt the season anymore from this. Otherwise I agree with everything else you said completely.

38 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Forfeiture is probably the only way to go with as bad as the outbreak is.  Yeah, it'll screw up the competitive balance, but you can't just reschedule the game again and give them another bye week, or march them out missing like 15 players, possibly more infected, and no practice, or we'll both lose 10 more players to injury.

None of this will matter in a few weeks when several other teams get hit this hard anyway though.

And for the record, the Florio rumored punishment would be too extreme.

Forfeiture isn’t the way to go unless they’re having them forfeit the Steelers game as well. What sense would it make for the Bills to gain such a key competitive advantage, yet everyone else is much more screwed. The Steelers players lost a bye week. The Bills would have GAINED a bye week.

If anything, reschedule the Bills game and give the Steelers back their bye week. Since they were still practicing that week, they saw less of a “bye week“ than the Bills would be allotted.

Would provide a complete competitive advantage to the Bills this season. So either forfeit both and keep it consistent or just add an extra week to the season. But forfeits open up too many can of worms that isn’t particularly smart.

TV contracts, competitive advantages, unequal enforcement (Bills vs Steelers), etc. It’s just not a smart plan at all.

Maybe another option is to force the Titans to play on Tuesday, but with masks on for all Titans players and ban helmetless contact post game (as with Mahomes and Gilmore for example) for this particular game... that way you eliminate the idea of respect/disrespect from players who may night feel snubbed from a guy that refuses to “show him love.” 

I agree with all the concern over competitive balance if you introduce a forfeit.  I just keep going back to the tweet (forget who said it) that this would be an "historic" punishment.  That's the only thing that makes sense in that context since a team has never been forced to forfeit a game before.  Draft picks?  Fines?  Suspensions?  All that could be a part of it but none of that would be considered historic.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah well if it happens during the SB and a team wins without playing I don't think people would be happy.

Nor any playoff game.

Nor any regular season game that could have playoff implications.

Which right now could be any.

So no, giving teams free wins is never the way to go. Especially when it has nothing to do with gaining a competitive advantage.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, 11sanchez11 said:

By adding another week to the schedule. So not really

They should have done this from the get-go.  I get the desire to keep things as normal as possible, but they should have had two built-in bye weeks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah well if it happens during the SB and a team wins without playing I don't think people would be happy.

Nor any playoff game.

Nor any regular season game that could have playoff implications.

Which right now could be any.

So no, giving teams free wins is never the way to go. Especially when it has nothing to do with gaining a competitive advantage.

What they did affects all 31 other teams in the thick of things, so I don't see why they couldn't/shouldn't give them the death penalty for this. Fines and loss of a draft pick sounds too lenient considering the risks they put all other teams through.

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They should have done this from the get-go.  I get the desire to keep things as normal as possible, but they should have had two built-in bye weeks.

No way. It made too much sense to do that. What a stupid idea CWood 😁