Sign in to follow this  
AZ_Eaglesfan

Week 5 GDT: Eagles at Steelers - FIRST PLACE SZN

I actually think we'll win this game. It'll be another super sloppy game, offense will look pretty bad, but Steelers O will come out flat as well and we'll make a big ST play. Eagles 19-17

Then next week we go and get absolutely trounced by the Ravens 34-7.

Further proof that Doug's gotta go.

The Eagles are 24th in the league only scoring 21.0 points per game. Additionally we are 31st in "Offensive DVOA" as much as I don't really understand the nuances of the stat, it carries a lot of weight amongst nerds. Defensively we are 14th in DVOA, which... is adequate.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Danger said:

The Eagles are 24th in the league only scoring 21.0 points per game. Additionally we are 31st in "Offensive DVOA" as much as I don't really understand the nuances of the stat, it carries a lot of weight amongst nerds. Defensively we are 14th in DVOA, which... is adequate.

You do realize the Eagles are missing their top 4 WR's, #2 TE and 3 sometimes 4 (Lane) Starting OL , right? I'm sure non of these players being healthy would help...

Brooks, Dillard, Peters, Lane, Alshon, DeSean, Reagor, Goedert.

Edited by Nabbs4u

This team is so riddled with injuries, I don't even know what to do with them. Who is the problem? Who needs to go? Who is good? f- if I know, everyone is hurt. Can't there just be 1 season that isn't the worst with injuries.....Jesus. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

In case you are wondering, there are now 13 players on IR

1. TE Dallas Goedart

2. T Jason Peters

3. G Issac Seumalo

4. G Brandon Brooks

5. DE Vinny Curry

6. LB TJ Edwards

7. CB Craig James

8. S Will Parks

9. S Rudy Ford

10. WR Jalen Reagor

11. WR Quez Watkins

12. CB Trevor Williams

13. T Andre Dillard 

That is an addition to the injuries to WR Alshon Jeffery, WR DeSean Jackson, CB Avonte Maddox who are not on IR.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Need it to be competitive, my FIL and coworkers are Steelers fans...I don’t want to deal with a blowout. Your use of a chart has made this a 30+ blowout AZ...I hope you are happy.

Well I was rooting to tank so take that how you wanna...

Good morning Eagles Nation. I did the GDT for the Steelers versus the Eagles on the Steelers Forum.  I wanted to invite your group to feel free to weigh in and offer some input on our page as well regarding this weekend's match-up. Because we don't play a real game except once every four years (I'm not counting pre-season) we don't have a lot in terms of consistent game history/rivalry, but the last game in 2016 didn't end well for Steelers Nation with a 34-3 thrashing by the Eagles.  Despite our limited playing, I think most of us still consider each other rivals for PA bragging rights.

Despite this, I am a Carson Wentz fan. I root for Wentz every game that he is not playing the Steelers. He certainly helped put that drubbing on us in 2016. Here's an opinion to mull over from one Steelers fan perspective.

When the Steelers are on offense:

1. The Steelers have to slow down Fletcher Cox. This guy has beat up on the Steelers like someone stole from his momma. Steelers pro bowl OG David DeCastro has admitted in past interviews the no other defender has given him fits like Fletcher Cox. Te Steelers offense has been inconsistent at best.  They will need balance to beat the Eagles and that starts up front.

2. Balanced football will be the key for the Steelers offense. Part of the reason that the Steelers offense has struggled has been staying in sync. They get pass happy at times which is a recipe for disaster typically. Big Ben has thrown for 500 yards multiple times. However, he has never thrown for 260 (257 to be exact) yards against the Eagles. Being able to mix it up will greatly help the Steelers offense. They know and have practiced against Javon Hargrave. He is a great penetrator and can collapse a pocket from inside, especially with Fletcher Cox. But he has never been strong in run support. Keep an eye on his match-up against OG Matt Feiler. I think the Steelers attack there.

3. I watched the Eagles game against the 49'ers and the turnovers did San Fran in. Pittsburgh has turned the ball over in 25 straight games before ending that streak against the Texans. The have to start a no turnover streak against the Eagles. This has helped the Giants and Denver score points and let those games get close as well. Dionte Johnson and Benny Snell have both put the ball on the ground in two of three games they played in.  The Steelers cannot give the Eagles extra opportunities and hope by giving the ball away and taking the Steelers offense off the field.

When the Steelers are on defense:

1. No secret here, but take advantage of your injuries on the OL. The Steelers defense stops the run pretty well and they sack and pressure QB's well.  i am doing my best to exploit the Eagles here. Wentz was untouched in the 2016 meeting and picked the Steelers secondary apart. I know the Eagles have key injuries at WR and TE as well, so I try to harass Wentz early and often. Pittsburgh has done a great job of getting pressure from their front four without blitzing. If this continues, it could be a rough day for Wentz and company on offense.

2. Use that very good run defense to make the Eagles one dimensional.  Third and long is an advantage to the Steelers defense and their pass rush. Don't let Miles Sanders get running and the Steelers have to keep containment or Wentz will hurt them with his legs. This is easier said than done, but keep Carson in the pocket, but on his back. 

3. Get off the field on third down. The Steelers have struggled mightily here this season. Some has been good execution by their opponents, but most has been self inflicted with untimely penalties or lapses in coverage/responsibility. Sometimes it has been both. While the Steelers haven't played an offense like the Packers or Chiefs, all three games could have and should have been blow-outs if not for these two items. That is undisciplined football. The Steelers can be beat when they play this way.

Intangibles:

1. I read a comment that this Steelers team isn't as good "the juggernaut" as many people make them out to be. I think there is some truth to that and some fable as well. While the Steelers have not played an elite team and have struggled at times; they seem to be more in need of an oil change and tune-up than an engine overhaul to get rolling. The games against the Giants, Broncos and Texans were not really as close as the score indicated. The Steelers gave each team opportunities with penalties, turnovers, an breakdowns is assignment responsibility. Those were cases of the Steelers beating themselves more-so than the Giants, Broncos or Texans. The Eagles are a good enough team to take advantage of that. We give Wentz multiple chances, he will make the Steelers pay. I still see Carson as a top NFL QB.  He has taken heat, but he is playing with a banged up bunch of weapons in the trenches and skill positions. 

A. I think the Steelers offense is better than people give it credit. While this is not the so called juggernaut of 2016 when they had Lev Bell, AB, Big Ben and company. The Steelers marched down the field on the opening drive of the 2016 game, Markus Wheaton dropped a TD pass in the endzone and Shaun Suisham missed a chip shot FG. It was ll downhill from there. However, this offense may actually prove to be better and more consistent. Ben is throwing well and the run game is actually better than advertised. The play-calling and scheme has been wrong at times. I.E. constantly trying to throw against the Texans when they struggle stopping the run. If they are in sync, they can really hurt an opposing team. It hasn't all come together like some other teams yet. I am actually good with that because it means the Steelers are winning and still not playing their best football.

B. Despite getting some defensive respect and praise for run stuffing and sacks, the Steelers defensive secondary has been under-achieving. They have had pass interference penalties, defensive holding penalties, blown coverage's in zone and man and gotten beat deep and other outright.  Even Minkah Fitzpatrick has been in the wrong place and has not gotten a pick or splash play in 2020. The Eagles and Wentz despite not having Alshon and Desean can still put up some numbers. Jeff Driskell came off the bench and threw for 256 yards and 2 TD's and 1 INT. If I am game-planning to beat the Steelers, I am throwing short and quick to loosen them up and then I will try to get a few balls deep. The Eagles can definitely steal one this way if the Steelers shoot themselves in the foot and give them opportunity after opportunity through turnover, penalties or three and outs on offense.

That said, I wish you a good game (not too good though). 😀  We owe you one from the 2016 beat-down, so excuse me if I am not sympathetic to all of your injuries. usually the home team wins these. Coming from the left coast and getting your first win, I predict the Steelers shoot down a few Wentz passes and pull away in a revenge game. It will be a battle of attrition nonetheless. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Good morning Eagles Nation. I did the GDT for the Steelers versus the Eagles on the Steelers Forum.  I wanted to invite your group to feel free to weigh in and offer some input on our page as well regarding this weekend's match-up. Because we don't play a real game except once every four years (I'm not counting pre-season) we don't have a lot in terms of consistent game history/rivalry, but the last game in 2016 didn't end well for Steelers Nation with a 34-3 thrashing by the Eagles.  Despite our limited playing, I think most of us still consider each other rivals for PA bragging rights.

Despite this, I am a Carson Wentz fan. I root for Wentz every game that he is not playing the Steelers. He certainly helped put that drubbing on us in 2016. Here's an opinion to mull over from one Steelers fan perspective.

When the Steelers are on offense:

1. The Steelers have to slow down Fletcher Cox. This guy has beat up on the Steelers like someone stole from his momma. Steelers pro bowl OG David DeCastro has admitted in past interviews the no other defender has given him fits like Fletcher Cox. Te Steelers offense has been inconsistent at best.  They will need balance to beat the Eagles and that starts up front.

2. Balanced football will be the key for the Steelers offense. Part of the reason that the Steelers offense has struggled has been staying in sync. They get pass happy at times which is a recipe for disaster typically. Big Ben has thrown for 500 yards multiple times. However, he has never thrown for 260 (257 to be exact) yards against the Eagles. Being able to mix it up will greatly help the Steelers offense. They know and have practiced against Javon Hargrave. He is a great penetrator and can collapse a pocket from inside, especially with Fletcher Cox. But he has never been strong in run support. Keep an eye on his match-up against OG Matt Feiler. I think the Steelers attack there.

3. I watched the Eagles game against the 49'ers and the turnovers did San Fran in. Pittsburgh has turned the ball over in 25 straight games before ending that streak against the Texans. The have to start a no turnover streak against the Eagles. This has helped the Giants and Denver score points and let those games get close as well. Dionte Johnson and Benny Snell have both put the ball on the ground in two of three games they played in.  The Steelers cannot give the Eagles extra opportunities and hope by giving the ball away and taking the Steelers offense off the field.

When the Steelers are on defense:

1. No secret here, but take advantage of your injuries on the OL. The Steelers defense stops the run pretty well and they sack and pressure QB's well.  i am doing my best to exploit the Eagles here. Wentz was untouched in the 2016 meeting and picked the Steelers secondary apart. I know the Eagles have key injuries at WR and TE as well, so I try to harass Wentz early and often. Pittsburgh has done a great job of getting pressure from their front four without blitzing. If this continues, it could be a rough day for Wentz and company on offense.

2. Use that very good run defense to make the Eagles one dimensional.  Third and long is an advantage to the Steelers defense and their pass rush. Don't let Miles Sanders get running and the Steelers have to keep containment or Wentz will hurt them with his legs. This is easier said than done, but keep Carson in the pocket, but on his back. 

3. Get off the field on third down. The Steelers have struggled mightily here this season. Some has been good execution by their opponents, but most has been self inflicted with untimely penalties or lapses in coverage/responsibility. Sometimes it has been both. While the Steelers haven't played an offense like the Packers or Chiefs, all three games could have and should have been blow-outs if not for these two items. That is undisciplined football. The Steelers can be beat when they play this way.

Intangibles:

1. I read a comment that this Steelers team isn't as good "the juggernaut" as many people make them out to be. I think there is some truth to that and some fable as well. While the Steelers have not played an elite team and have struggled at times; they seem to be more in need of an oil change and tune-up than an engine overhaul to get rolling. The games against the Giants, Broncos and Texans were not really as close as the score indicated. The Steelers gave each team opportunities with penalties, turnovers, an breakdowns is assignment responsibility. Those were cases of the Steelers beating themselves more-so than the Giants, Broncos or Texans. The Eagles are a good enough team to take advantage of that. We give Wentz multiple chances, he will make the Steelers pay. I still see Carson as a top NFL QB.  He has taken heat, but he is playing with a banged up bunch of weapons in the trenches and skill positions. 

A. I think the Steelers offense is better than people give it credit. While this is not the so called juggernaut of 2016 when they had Lev Bell, AB, Big Ben and company. The Steelers marched down the field on the opening drive of the 2016 game, Markus Wheaton dropped a TD pass in the endzone and Shaun Suisham missed a chip shot FG. It was ll downhill from there. However, this offense may actually prove to be better and more consistent. Ben is throwing well and the run game is actually better than advertised. The play-calling and scheme has been wrong at times. I.E. constantly trying to throw against the Texans when they struggle stopping the run. If they are in sync, they can really hurt an opposing team. It hasn't all come together like some other teams yet. I am actually good with that because it means the Steelers are winning and still not playing their best football.

B. Despite getting some defensive respect and praise for run stuffing and sacks, the Steelers defensive secondary has been under-achieving. They have had pass interference penalties, defensive holding penalties, blown coverage's in zone and man and gotten beat deep and other outright.  Even Minkah Fitzpatrick has been in the wrong place and has not gotten a pick or splash play in 2020. The Eagles and Wentz despite not having Alshon and Desean can still put up some numbers. Jeff Driskell came off the bench and threw for 256 yards and 2 TD's and 1 INT. If I am game-planning to beat the Steelers, I am throwing short and quick to loosen them up and then I will try to get a few balls deep. The Eagles can definitely steal one this way if the Steelers shoot themselves in the foot and give them opportunity after opportunity through turnover, penalties or three and outs on offense.

That said, I wish you a good game (not too good though). 😀  We owe you one from the 2016 beat-down, so excuse me if I am not sympathetic to all of your injuries. usually the home team wins these. Coming from the left coast and getting your first win, I predict the Steelers shoot down a few Wentz passes and pull away in a revenge game. It will be a battle of attrition nonetheless. 

I wish I cared as much as this guy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm in coming over here and writing this lengthy post. But c'mon now. Do you think us Philly fans honestly have that kind of attention span? 

comedy central GIF by Drunk History

Not so bold prediction.

Mailata gets destroyed in this game and we start asking for Peters back.

6 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Not so bold prediction.

Less bold prediction: Mailata gets destroyed and we just accept LT is going to be a problem all year.

18 hours ago, Danger said:

He really needs to bring in someone to call plays / revolutionize the offense.

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

Not so bold prediction.

First half yes, second half lol no

If Mailata doesn't get destroyed in this game he is likely going to end up as an outstanding OT. Him getting completely handled should be the expectation.

• Like 1