What players have had hof seasons but not hof careers?

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Cliff branch one of the greatest playoff wide receiver ever never made it.

Had better number then Lynn swann.

He had a HOF career though. Branch. He just hasn't been voted in yet. He probably will at some point. 

I'm guessing OP means guys that stacked a few dominant seasons together, but due to a shooting star effect for production or a short career, they won't get in probably ever. And I don't think that's the same as just a Pro Bowl guy. For instance I wouldn't list Donald Driver as putting up HOF numbers, but definitely Pro Bowl numbers...if that makes sense. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Devin Hester (2007) - 651 punt return yards, 4 TDs (led the league), 934 kick return yards, 2 TDs  (this might be a stretch)

The OP is asking for players who have not had a HoF career.  Hester is for a sure-fire hall of famer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The OP is asking for players who have not had a HoF career.  Hester is for a sure-fire hall of famer.

It’s possible.  There isn’t much of a precedent I don’t think though.  I don’t see him making it personally, but I get his argument

I think an obvious one would be Sterling Sharpe, who would be in the Hall if not for a career shortened by injuries. But I understand that's not necessarily the intended target of discussion here.

This one might be a little controversial, but I think Matt Ryan might fit into this category, unless something changes. 2016 Ryan is one of the best single season performances for any QB, historically. But for him it's a total outlier, and the rest of his career isn't close (except 2018).

2016 is a HOF type season, but he never puts together strings of seasons with consistently high performances like that. So I don't see Ryan making the Hall at his current rate.

Sterling Sharpe is a good one.  

Bob Sanders, Carl Pickens, Christian Okoye, Barry Foster, Tony Boselli, Jimmy Smith, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson.  Le'Veon Bell looks like he will be falling into the category.  Jamal Anderson and Michael Tuner both put up some big years in ATL.  Dana Stubblefield was Haynesworth before Haynesworth.  De'Marco Murray.  Bryce Paup.   Adrian Wilson had some big years.  Antonio Cromartie.  Merton Hanks had a HoF-esque window in the mid 90's.  Gregg Lloyd.  Chad Johnson.  Eddie George.  Jevon Kearse.  Andre Johnson (if he never gets in).   Same with Dwight Freeney, but I think he will get in.  Darren Sharper, but he will be locked out for other reasons.  Clay Mathews?  Charles Tillman.  Robert Porcher and John Abraham (he's a possibility).  Same for Jared Allen, if he gets shut out.  Neil Smith.  Rodney Harrison?    

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He had a HOF career though. Branch. He just hasn't been voted in yet. He probably will at some point. 

I'm guessing OP means guys that stacked a few dominant seasons together, but due to a shooting star effect for production or a short career, they won't get in probably ever. And I don't think that's the same as just a Pro Bowl guy. For instance I wouldn't list Donald Driver as putting up HOF numbers, but definitely Pro Bowl numbers...if that makes sense. 

Thank you looks like it is going to be a interesting draft year

The Ravens seasons that come to mind:

Jamal Lewis (2003): 2066 rush yards

Adalius Thomas (2006): First team All-Pro, played snaps at OLB/ILB/DE/DT/S/CB (yes, even CB) that year, had 86 tackles, 11 sacks, 14 TFL, 7 PDs, 1 Int/FR, 1 TD

Lardarius Webb (2011): 55 Passer rating against, 20 PDs, 67 Tackles, 5 INT (Added 3 more INTs in 2 playoff games), 1 Sack, FF, 2 FR, Defensive TD, Punt Return TD

Edited by Ray Reed

11 hours ago, Chargers said:

Speaking of Merriman, Priest Holmes found out the hard way of why he was nick-named Lights Out!

I always hated this take. It wasn't like some devastating hit laid on Priest that made him not wanna pick up a football again, it was a helmet to helmet shot that injured Priest's neck and ultimately ended his career. Dunno why people wanna puff their chest on that one.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Adalius Thomas (2006): First team All-Pro, played snaps at OLB/ILB/DE/DT/S/CB (yes, even CB) that year, had 86 tackles, 11 sacks, 14 TFL, 7 PDs, 1 Int/FR, 1 TD

I watched him at Southern Miss and he was so amazing, and seeing him be such an insanely good defender for the Ravens had me thinking he was definitely heading for the HOF one day. Insane talent.

But then that didn't happen, and he didn't gel well with Belichick. Him and Jamie Collins are two crazy talented So. Miss linebackers who seemingly couldn't get along with Belichick, but both could have really thrived if they did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

I watched him at Southern Miss and he was so amazing, and seeing him be such an insanely good defender for the Ravens had me thinking he was definitely heading for the HOF one day. Insane talent.

But then that didn't happen, and he didn't gel well with Belichick. Him and Jamie Collins are two crazy talented So. Miss linebackers who seemingly couldn't get along with Belichick, but both could have really thrived if they did.

There are a lot of people that will tell you Adalius Thomas was the best player on a 2006 Ravens defense with:

Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister, Trevor Pryce, Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata.

He was an absolute revelation.

Edited by Ray Reed