GDT 10/11/20 Week 5: 3-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-2-1 Cincinnati Bengals

DreamKid

54 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Think we need to slow the Patty Queen hype train down just a bit. He was just benched two games ago because he was absolute garbage in coverage. Yes, he has a lot of potential and is making some nice plays but lets relax a bit. Also CJ Mosely has become quite underrated here.

He wasn't garbage in coverage in the traditional way - he was trying to make splash plays and was disregarding his man and not sticking to his assignments.

This isn't the same as, say, CJ Mosley, who literally couldn't cover people in space in his latter years here because he was too slow. PQ was flying around, just flying around and abandoning his job, which got him benched.

18 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Think we need to slow the Patty Queen hype train down just a bit. He was just benched two games ago because he was absolute garbage in coverage. Yes, he has a lot of potential and is making some nice plays but lets relax a bit. Also CJ Mosely has become quite underrated here.

How? Since I’m the only one talking about Mosley here, I have to assume this is in reference to my posts.

When comparing Queen vs Mosley, Queen has just as much an advantage over Mosley in run support as Mosley in pass coverage. However Queen closes the gap in pass defense by being a superior blitzer. He overtakes Mosley by being a superior playmaker... but again, all of this assumes (like I said in my post) that Queen continues at this same level he’s had over the past couple weeks.

He had an above average 1st game, a below average 2nd game, a terrible 3rd game, and two elite games the past two weeks. He just won DROTW for that performance against Cincy.

Mosley was good as a rookie, but I’ve never seen him have a better two game stretch than what Queen put up against Cincy and WFT... heck in no game was rookie Mosley better than what I just saw from Queen in either game. If so, point out the game and what made it superior.

Mosley will be a (likely) ring of honor member for this squad. He was a good to great LB that was a legit pro bowl level player every season here. But he was never operating at a true All Pro level. Even when he got All Pro 2nd team after his rookie season, there was a huge gap between Wagner/Kuechly and Mosley. That was a season where Mosley benefited from the fact that Patrick Willis broke down that season and would eventually go on to retire, Bowman would go down with an injury to be lost the entire season, and LaVonte David was (as usual) largely under the radar and also not having quite one of his best seasons, though still I’d argue better than Mosley’s.

Theres nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Mosley was a LB on a similar level as a Keith Brooking or Keith Bullock (to use guys from a previous generation). There’s nothing wrong with that level of LB play. Those guys don’t grow on trees.

That being said those guys absolutely can be upgraded with say the Lance Briggs and Jeremiah Trotter’s of the world (let alone the Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher level).

57 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He wasn't garbage in coverage in the traditional way - he was trying to make splash plays and was disregarding his man and not sticking to his assignments.

This isn't the same as, say, CJ Mosley, who literally couldn't cover people in space in his latter years here because he was too slow. PQ was flying around, just flying around and abandoning his job, which got him benched.

He was terrible in coverage any way you put it. Just because you're running faster doesn't mean it's a better kind of suck

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just want to clarify - he won AFC Defensive Player of The Week. He might also have won Rookie of the Week as well, though.

Yup. I didn’t even realize that.

And tbqh if Queen could’ve wrapped up that game against the WFT with a splash play like a sack, int, or FF... with that goal line stand play, I’m sure he would’ve had a strong shot at a DPOW there as well.

Myles Garrett won it with 2 sacks and 1 FF, if Queen could’ve just added a splash play like 1 sack (which he had and was ruled back by penalty), I’d stack his 12 Tkls, 9 solos, 3 TFL, 1 sack against Garrett’s numbers any day.

He literally could be sitting at 2 AFC DPOW awards if not for a penalty. I think the hype he’s receiving is definitely warranted after these last two games.

He’ll need to display better coverage before I put him on a Wagner/Kuechly level though... that said, he’s certainly got the ability to get there, which I never saw in Mosley... he was just too athletically limited to ever reach such a level.

Edited by diamondbull424

On review... man... this was a dominant game. Our fanbase is way out of wack with all the angst coming from this game. The offense isn't 2019 level. If you didn't see that coming this year then I don't know what to tell you. Lamar had a few throws that came out of his hand way off. But they started the game with three scoring drives and the rest of the game was effectively garbage time. Maybe there could have been a TD drive in place of a turnover if Hollywood could have hauled in a deep pass that a defender knocked away from him. The score could have been 40-0 instead of 27-3 if the offense was better, but that makes SOOO little difference big picture. The defense was amazing and the offense was far from bad. Really feel good about where this team is at. Hope we stay healthy and can actually have a playoffs this year. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Is this COVID dooming or a shot at our current one and done playoff streak we're riding? 😂

COVID. If/when playoff start, with this 7 teams make the playoffs nonsense there will be some real trash in the first round of the playoffs. 

I understand the playoff streak (which is really one upset) is the reason so much of the fanbase is so antsy and they are not satisfied by regular season wins, but stepping back this team is playing really well so far. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m predicting the minimum will be 11 wins in the AFC personally. But who knows, I‘m sure I’m underestimating the NFCE some considering it’s got to be near impossible for things to end up the way I’m predicting.

Have there ever been seven teams in a conference with 11+ wins? Even in 2008 when the patriots missed the playoffs with an 11-5 Record, only six AFC teams had 11 wins or more. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m predicting the minimum will be 11 wins in the AFC personally. But who knows, I‘m sure I’m underestimating the NFCE some considering it’s got to be near impossible for things to end up the way I’m predicting.

The AFC looks great now because all the big bombs of attrition has hit the NFC (see: Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers), just wait we are only 5 weeks in.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1