2021 NFL Draft Thread

12 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Of the top 4 qbs, I think Trey Lance is the most realistic one to fall outside the top 10. If we were able to trade up and only have to give up our first and 3rd and maybe one other late pick to get him, would you all be okay with that? Looks great as a runner but probably has a lot to learn as a passer. 

I really like Trey Lance but if Alex Smith doesn’t come back then I wouldn’t want him. He has such a long way to go and I think putting him in a QB completion with Heinecke and Allen would only hurt his development as opposed to having Smith around who could nurture it. So yes, I’d love for Lance to be the pick but the circumstances certainly do matter with him. 

• Like 2

I have come around liking Fields after the Championship Game but from what I have read is that he is dropping down Draft boards for his inability to go through his progressions. DH had the same issues. I know he has a different skill set by being able to use his legs but if he has problems only being able to throw to his first option that’s problematic. 
Also from what I read that Trey Lance is better than Fields going through his progressions. He played 1 game this past year. There’s no combine. 
There’s a lot more misses than hits on QB’s in the 1st rd. 
Scouting department is going to have to come through again minus Kyle. 

On 2/20/2021 at 9:46 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I have come around liking Fields after the Championship Game but from what I have read is that he is dropping down Draft boards for his inability to go through his progressions. DH had the same issues. I know he has a different skill set by being able to use his legs but if he has problems only being able to throw to his first option that’s problematic. 
Also from what I read that Trey Lance is better than Fields going through his progressions. He played 1 game this past year. There’s no combine. 
There’s a lot more misses than hits on QB’s in the 1st rd. 
Scouting department is going to have to come through again minus Kyle. 

I would say that Fields is slow at going through his progressions and late pressure/delayed blitzing as he’s going to his 2nd or 3rd progression makes him panic in the pocket at this point in his development. We saw that vs Indiana, Northwestern & Alabama three of the best defenses in the nation.

Most people were waiting like a kitten and pounced on him when he played average and not elite just to be happy to prove themselves right about Fields during and after those games.

Wilson & Lance didn’t face those types of D’s which are as close as you get in college to NFL level along with Georgia.

I mean I know people don’t like hearing this bc it’s an extreme thought but Fields outplayed Trevor Lawrence in the 2019 & 2020 CFBP and in 2020 he got rocked in the 1st half & finished the game playing with at worst bruise ribs.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

He's no Treat Williams. Seems to be lumbering a bit to me . Guess we see it differently .

Oops-had the wrong guy, I was watching the guard. Darrisaw did really get downfield nicely !

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He's no Treat Williams. Seems to be lumbering a bit to me . Guess we see it differently .

Oops-had the wrong guy, I was watching the guard. Darrisaw did really get downfield nicely !

I just hope he hits the weight room and gets stronger. Christian is a very athletic LT but his issue has always been strength, it’s why Christian isn’t bad in pass pro but when we tried to run to the left side with him in there last year we struggled mightily.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:37 PM, ripsean21 said:

God what Michah parsons would do for this defense!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

On 2/10/2021 at 4:52 PM, noptov52 said:

It seems like Parsons is trending down in many mock drafts (for however little that means) and I would be all about trading up to catch him if he falls.  A playmaker at LB would put WFT's defense into elite territory

giphy.gif

On 2/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

From what I read Parsons has some off field issues are the reason he’s fallen down teams draft boards. I guess you have to weigh if he’s worth that risk. 

b8062b091e49cc7df9d62d7f0a694738.gif

(in all seriousness, it depends on what the "issues" are)

On 2/19/2021 at 11:10 AM, RSkinGM said:

Some mocks have Christian Darrisaw falling us . Would you guys be happy with that pick ? 

ebb0dec7becda19162d9ab4e81ea3be538935c1d

(it's not Parsons, but I'm not going complain about taking offensive linemen)

• Like 3

Most seem to have Slater going ahead of Darrisaw as well (and as I’ve mentioned, some have him going ahead of Sewell). 

Slater is definitely the most polished and technical of them, and I say that despite how much I love Sewell. His pass sets are fantastic, almost no wasted movement, and he can really move. He just has the same sort of physical limitations as Saahdiq Charles, with the smaller frame and shorter arms, where you find yourself wondering if he’s going to have to kick inside. 

I’d happily take any of the 3. Like @lavar703, I’m skeptical that any of them will make it to us. It’s hard to come up with a team that couldn’t use one of these guys — even if you already have a LT, you could pop any of them in at RT for a jolt in talent, and Slater may actually be best suited for C with his technique, football IQ, and movement skills. OTs always end up coming off the board higher than expected, so if I had to pick, I’d put my money on “none making it to 19.” But if one did, I’d say it would probably be Darrisaw. I still think Sewell goes first, teams can’t possibly overthink him that much. And then between Slater and Darrisaw, I think the polish and technique will be the difference. Plus, Darrisaw wasn’t really on the 1st round radar until this season, and I think at least some teams are going to be hesitant to buy in big on 2020 performances given how weird a year it was.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not sure where though. Maybe Dallas at 10. Sewell still goes before him. 

I think a possibility is the Dolphins take Sewell @ #3, the 49ers take Slater at 12 & the Chargers take Darisaw at #13.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Most seem to have Slater going ahead of Darrisaw as well (and as I’ve mentioned, some have him going ahead of Sewell). 

Slater is definitely the most polished and technical of them, and I say that despite how much I love Sewell. His pass sets are fantastic, almost no wasted movement, and he can really move. He just has the same sort of physical limitations as Saahdiq Charles, with the smaller frame and shorter arms, where you find yourself wondering if he’s going to have to kick inside. 

I’d happily take any of the 3. Like @lavar703, I’m skeptical that any of them will make it to us. It’s hard to come up with a team that couldn’t use one of these guys — even if you already have a LT, you could pop any of them in at RT for a jolt in talent, and Slater may actually be best suited for C with his technique, football IQ, and movement skills. OTs always end up coming off the board higher than expected, so if I had to pick, I’d put my money on “none making it to 19. But if one did, I’d say it would probably be Darrisaw. I still think Sewell goes first, teams can’t possibly overthink him that much. And then between Slater and Darrisaw, I think the polish and technique will be the difference. Plus, Darrisaw wasn’t really on the 1st round radar until this season, and I think at least some teams are going to be hesitant to buy in big on 2021 performances given how weird a year it was.

One thing is for sure, this is a great OT class although it has a lack of sure things which fits perfect for the late 1st through second round option. 

After the prize in Sewell you got so many potential starters with various small question marks.  I don't personally think Sewell is without a question mark himself.  Some of these guys aren't strong enough or tough enough to run block but are technical wizards and some are road graders who need to work on technique or some have the short arm or undersized complex and fit in the guard category.  

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

One thing is for sure, this is a great OT class although it has a lack of sure things which fits perfect for the late 1st through second round option. 

After the prize in Sewell you got so many potential starters with various small question marks.  I don't personally think Sewell is without a question mark himself.  Some of these guys aren't strong enough or tough enough to run block but are technical wizards and some are road graders who need to work on technique or some have the short arm or undersized complex and fit in the guard category.  

Reminds me of last years group except last years group didn’t have a LT on the level of Sewell.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Reminds me of last years group except last years group didn’t have a LT on the level of Sewell.

True but I think this class is even deeper.  Last year there was only one tackle worth a second round pick, but this year I think the second round should still have a handful of similar options as the end of the first.