2021 NFL Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Watching some Trey Lance Highlights.

Man, do I get the RG3 vibe with the way he plays.

Please....someone...

Tell me he's not RG3...

That he can read defenses & can become great.

And could he be there @19…?

and if he is, should we draft him?

thanks

He reminds me more of Cam with better speed. Reading defense’s well that is hard to say because he was very much one or two read and run but against the teams they played his wheels and size it was a huge weapon. I love the player. To me he and Mond are the guys for what we want to do Fields fits but I see no way we get Fields he’s going way too high to probably even get too. All 3 of these guys need work. I think Fields and Mond are alittle safer on experience development and big game experience. Mond and Fields have every throw on film at some point in college you can say okay he has to make that to succeed in the NFL. I love Lance but I’ve been home the last 3 weeks and I honestly keep watching Mond throw through windows this season throwing 15 yd outs on a line he needs some work on touch but can throw a beautiful fade to a spot I just say man you Get Mond the weapons man this guy can be special. Lance needs alittle more time as a passer that he isn’t going to get in college so I think your looking at a Josh Allen type learning curve where he will make mistakes and I think he is a heck of a option in this class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

He reminds me more of Cam with better speed. Reading defense’s well that is hard to say because he was very much one or two read and run but against the teams they played his wheels and size it was a huge weapon. I love the player. To me he and Mond are the guys for what we want to do Fields fits but I see no way we get Fields he’s going way too high to probably even get too. All 3 of these guys need work. I think Fields and Mond are alittle safer on experience development and big game experience. Mond and Fields have every throw on film at some point in college you can say okay he has to make that to succeed in the NFL. I love Lance but I’ve been home the last 3 weeks and I honestly keep watching Mond throw through windows this season throwing 15 yd outs on a line he needs some work on touch but can throw a beautiful fade to a spot I just say man you Get Mond the weapons man this guy can be special. Lance needs alittle more time as a passer that he isn’t going to get in college so I think your looking at a Josh Allen type learning curve where he will make mistakes and I think he is a heck of a option in this class.

Do you think he's there @19?

and would he be a good fit to sit behind Taylor Heinicke as his backup?

Or would you pass if he is there, for another position of need?

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Do you think he's there @19?

and would he be a good fit to sit behind Taylor Heinicke as his backup?

Or would you pass if he is there, for another position of need?

That’s the million dollar question. I’d have too see the players avalible but since QB tends to trump all others if they love him that is a very good scheme fit. I proposed taking Lance and Mond this year if Lance did fall. So yes I’d take him and double up at the position and make sure I got Mond as well. This position is a very tricky situation. But I’d roll with those two because both of those guys allow you to continue the complete gameplan incase of injury. I also think there is something to doubling up at a spot in the draft. It allows them to get into camp at the same time. It also gives you a chance too see who really handles the pressure of comp better. RG was always looking over his shoulder because he didn’t have it mentally upstairs. Some people shine in adversity and thrive on being pushed and others don’t. If they don’t they probably aren’t the guy you want leading your roster.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

A guy like Trey Lance benefits a lot more from Alex Smith staying around more than Taylor Heinicke... hell @Thaiphoon's option of Fitzmagic sits better.

You want to pay a guy 24 million dollars to be a mentor?  I think that is a bad use of resources.

Hire 10 qb coaches, it doesn't affect the cap.

12 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You want to pay a guy 24 million dollars to be a mentor?  I think that is a bad use of resources.

You can’t sit on the bench behind coaches. Also, it’s why @MikeT14 added “hell, Thai’s option of Fitzmagic sits better.”

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If it means my QBotF is much better off than learning under Taylor Heinicke? Yeah sure, why not? Another year healthier might mean Alex is our best QB anyway

• Like 2

Trey Lance is an enigma. I can’t fall in love with a prospect who has a lot questions surrounding him bc he just hasn’t done enough in college and he hasn’t done at the highest level either. 

I have no idea who to compare him too. I think he has the physical tools & potential but given that he’s years away from being developed he’s a huge bust candidate for this franchise especially given our history with taking guys like Heath Shuler.

I don’t think he’s capable of coming in in year one and having the impact that RG3 did and other running QBs. 

I could be totally wrong, but I just can’t jump on his bandwagon.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If it means my QBotF is much better off than learning under Taylor Heinicke? Yeah sure, why not? Another year healthier might mean Alex is our best QB anyway

Fair enough.  I just think that is what coaches are for, not cap space.

21 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Fair enough.  I just think that is what coaches are for, not cap space.

I don’t disagree but those QBs do share a room and a lot together. There is an advantage for being under the tutelage of Alex Smith vs Heinicke. You’d meet me halfway there I would think. And to your end, is it worth 22 million cap? Who knows. Maybe not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You can’t sit on the bench behind coaches. Also, it’s why @MikeT14 added “hell, Thai’s option of Fitzmagic sits better.”

Yeah, I think that’s right. It’s one thing to have a coach tell you what you need to do. It’s another thing to watch a guy like Alex — former #1 pick, 15 years in the NFL, 100 wins as a starter, world’s most inspirational football player — go about his everyday work. To see the amount of work and sacrifice and dedication it takes on a daily basis to get to that level.

You can tune out coaches as being unrealistic or nagging, but when you watch a guy do it himself, by choice — it has to send the message that if you want to get to the level he’s at, you need to match (or exceed) his effort, preparation, commitment, etc. He’s not doing it to try to shape you or develop you, he’s doing it for himself and the team, to win a job or to win ballgames. That speaks volumes I’d imagine. Much like we heard about Kerrigan rubbing off on Chase Young this year, I’d say. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Trey Lance is an enigma. I can’t fall in love with a prospect who has a lot questions surrounding him bc he just hasn’t done enough in college and he hasn’t done at the highest level either. 

I have no idea who to compare him too. I think he has the physical tools & potential but given that he’s years away from being developed he’s a huge bust candidate for this franchise especially given our history with taking guys like Heath Shuler.

I don’t think he’s capable of coming in in year one and having the impact that RG3 did and other running QBs. 

I could be totally wrong, but I just can’t jump on his bandwagon.

Please skip the "hasn't done it at the highest level". 

Haskins, Jamarcus Russell, et al did it "at the highest level" and that was no guarantor of success.

Meanwhile, guys like McNair, et al didn't "do it at the highest level" and seemed to do just fine, amirite?

The biggest issue I have with Lance right now is the paucity of his resume. I love his physical tools. I love his decision making. I love everything about him. He's mobile as hell and that is something that all QBs are gonna need to be able to do in the future. 

But, I do agree that one year of starting does not engender confidence in the pick. 

Which is why you mentor him for a year or two of his rookie deal. I'd much rather invest that time to develop a talent like him while keeping on vet QBs who can win games for us.