2021 NFL Draft Thread

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I don't doubt any of that. I'm just saying that if we go winless the rest of the season and they win at least 2-3 games each. we have a real shot at #1.

And the other teams have a better QB situation and don’t have QB controversy which could be dividing the team and hurting team chemistry.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We’ll get one of the big three at QB and I’m cool with that. I like all three of them even though Lawrence would be ideal. I like Trey Lance more than Fields because I think his skill set is insane. NDSU is the Alabama of the FCS so it’s not like he’s playing for scrubs. Ultimately I think he’s the pick anyway. I’d love to have Sewell but unless we get the second pick I think he’s going to the Bengals. 

I like him too. I've seen him quite a lot. The ONLY thing that gives me pause on Lance is the limited amount of time starting. As a JMU fan, I'm VERY happy to see him declare for the draft. I was worried we'd have to face him the next two years. But as a fan of this team, I'd have loved to see another full season this year to more fully evaluate him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I like him too. I've seen him quite a lot. The ONLY thing that gives me pause on Lance is the limited amount of time starting. As a JMU fan, I'm VERY happy to see him declare for the draft. I was worried we'd have to face him the next two years. But as a fan of this team, I'd have loved to see another full season this year to more fully evaluate him.

My concern is more like @e16bball’s our fanbase and organization has no patience for a 4-5 year rebuild or for a QB like lance to sit most if not all of his rookie year as he learns. We just saw that happen w/ Haskins. Lance is a better prospect but I don’t expect him to be Carson Wentz and start day 1, but I could be wrong.

@lavar703 brings up a great point about NDSU being the Alabama of FCS. I hadn’t thought of that  before, they know how to take guys from junior college or that FBS doesn’t jump on right away and develop them over 3 or 4 years into good production prospects.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My concern is more like @e16bball’s our fanbase and organization has no patience for a 4-5 year rebuild or for a QB like lance to sit most if not all of his rookie year as he learns. We just saw that happen w/ Haskins. Lance is a better prospect but I don’t experiment to be Carson Wentz and start day 1, but I could be tight.

@lavar703 brings up a great point about NDSU being the Alabama of FCS. I hadn’t thought of that  before, they know how to take guys from junior college or that FBS doesn’t jump on right away and develop them over 3 or 4 years into good production prospects.

Yeah. I'm not disagreeing with any of you. We don't have the patience. Which is why we need a pro-ready QB now.

NDSU's whole thing is that they get the guys that are overlooked (usually not more than 3-stars) and the promise is that "if you stay, you will be champions." Their players don't usually see the field as freshmen unless they are getting game experience in a blowout. They see more of the field as sophomores to prepare them for their first starting year as Juniors. So guys at NDSU typically don't start for more than 2 years. Lance was one of the outliers for that. I was afraid I'd have to see him for 3 years. Turns out that 1 was enough and he's declaring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm of the opinion that unless we are in position to draft T. Lawrence without trading up?

To draft a different position all together in the 1st Rd or trade down.

Haskins will probably be gone. (Hopefully by trade)

Alex Smith SHOULD be gone with his contract.

That leaves Kyle Allen who we should keep, with his familiarity with the playbook & he's young.

I would sign a veteran (healthy) QB in FA

Draft a QB from Rd 2 or beyond.

I’m totally fine with Allen staying as a backup but the problem we’re going to run into is he’s Rivera’s Colt McCoy. He started him in Carolina and even while playing horribly still wouldn’t play Grier and then got himself fired. Then what does he do when he comes here, immediately trades for his Colt McCoy and then what happens, OH MY WORD Haskins sucks so we have to start Kyle Allen...

If you don’t see what’s going to happen here as long as Rivera is coach and Allen is on this roster then you’re crazy. If he didn’t feel comfortable with him starting then he wouldn’t have traded a draft choice for him. If I were Dan Snyder I would force Allen off the roster and make Rivera go with someone else like we should’ve done with Colt McCoy to save Jay Gruden from himself. I don’t want this crap going on with Lawrence, Fields or Lance when Rivera decides after two games he’s seen enough and wants Allen back in there. And this is the major crux when you give a headcoach full control of a roster. There is no GM to step in and save the team from the headcoaches silly decisions. 

Rivera knows what Kyle Allen is. There is nothing more to see of Kyle Allen that they don’t know already. He’s started nearly an entire season and he was dreadful. He cannot be on this roster next year having the coach itching to pull the trigger on making him the starter again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’m totally fine with Allen staying as a backup but the problem we’re going to run into is he’s Rivera’s Colt McCoy. He started him in Carolina and even while playing horribly still wouldn’t play Grier and then got himself fired. Then what does he do when he comes here, immediately trades for his Colt McCoy and then what happens, OH MY WORD Haskins sucks so we have to start Kyle Allen...

If you don’t see what’s going to happen here as long as Rivera is coach and Allen is on this roster then you’re crazy. If he didn’t feel comfortable with him starting then he wouldn’t have traded a draft choice for him. If I were Dan Snyder I would force Allen off the roster and make Rivera go with someone else like we should’ve done with Colt McCoy to save Jay Gruden from himself. I don’t want this crap going on with Lawrence, Fields or Lance when Rivera decides after two games he’s seen enough and wants Allen back in there. And this is the major crux when you give a headcoach full control of a roster. There is no GM to step in and save the team from the headcoaches silly decisions. 

Rivera knows what Kyle Allen is. There is nothing more to see of Kyle Allen that they don’t know already. He’s started nearly an entire season and he was dreadful. He cannot be on this roster next year having the coach itching to pull the trigger on making him the starter again. 

I can’t give this enough likes! Bravo 👏 

That being said, Dan is NOT going to do that. He’s not going to force Rivera to cut a player who has done nothing to deserve to be cut at this point.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Watching T Lawrence, not that I never noticed it before but he has some arm talent! Wow!

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It would be nice if we could get Lawrence. 

Looks like a decent prospect. Maybe we should keep an eye on him.

We won't be bad enough to get Lawrence.

The Jets &/or Giants might not win a game. Atlanta could tank it...

Jags are pretty bad as well

Even if we go 3-13 again? I'm not sure that puts us in the top 3 this season.

Which isn't going to happen...Will at worst, split with Giants. Possibly sweep...

Might steal one from Dallas, with Dalton at the helm.

We still got Detroit & Carolina. Both winnable games.

Got the Eagles again...

Don't forget the Bengals...

I think we're looking at a 5-11 or 6-10 season, most likely. 

That probably puts us around #10-to-#12.

Ain't getting Lawrence or Fields...

Trey Lance, is the guy you should be keeping your eyes on,or OT Pewell.

14 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Which isn't going to happen...Will at worst, split with Giants. Possibly sweep...

Got the Eagles again...

If by chance we’re picking between 10-12, you can take your eyes off of P. Sewell because he won’t be there. 

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Got the Eagles again...

WE CANT SCORE! Hell, we can barely get the ball past the 50 yard line. How you think we’re going to beat all these teams is beyond me? The Giants just dropped 30 on Dallas. We’ve given up 30 in almost every single game and we should’ve lost to the Eagles as well. I don’t think people understand just how little talent there is on this roster...we’re genuinely bottom 3 in talent. Kyle Allen is our starting QB and our back up has one good leg and won’t throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. This team is horrendous. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Got the Eagles again...

You're crazy.  Our offense can't move the football.  At all.  Which means they can't score.  Which means the defense is hung out to dry.  Almost all of the teams you mention have better offensive talent than we do.  

• Like 1