2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

It sure worked out for the Cowboys. If I'm building a team I find my secondary WR's later in the draft. We found Terry in the late 3rd round. I'm not spending premium draft capital on them. That's just my draft philosophy.

lol they lost a Top 10 QB. That had some effect... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean look what our other WRs "accomplished" this year. Imagine taking some heat off Terry.

I'm all for adding a Free Agent WR and there's quite a few on the market this year. I do think it'd be wise to give Terry some help but I'd prefer not to do with it our first rounder on one of the more riskier positions to draft.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

lol they lost a Top 10 QB. That had some effect... 

It did, but teams lose QBs all the time... they were 1-3 with Dak with starting. Was it really worth it for the Cowboys this year to draft CeeDee? It's still obviously way early. But their defense was bad bad, they couldn't run the ball but they had 3 WR's almost get 1000 yards.

26 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I'm all for adding a Free Agent WR and there's quite a few on the market this year. I do think it'd be wise to give Terry some help but I'd prefer not to do with it our first rounder on one of the more riskier positions to draft.

I’m big for the FA acquisition too but we have to get one

• Like 2

I don’t see how anyone can suggest that the Cowboys drafting CeeDee Lmb wasn’t a great pick for them, he looks like a total steal. He played better then Jeudy & Ruggs. The Cowboys also traded a 1st for Amari Cooper something many people scoffed at at the time but it worked out gear for them. So that’s two 1st round picks for their WRs & when Dak plays you can’t stop them along with Gallup who was a 3rd round pick. 

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t see how anyone can suggest that the Cowboys drafting CeeDee Lmb wasn’t a great pick for them, he looks like a total steal. He played better then Jeudy & Ruggs. The Cowboys also traded a 1st for Amari Cooper something many people scoffed at at the time but it worked out gear for them. So that’s two 1st round picks for their WRs & when Dak plays you can’t stop them along with Gallup who was a 3rd round pick. 

Dude that was a heck of a pick!!! Yes they had holes but I think they got the player they would have selected there in the second after getting gifted Lamb. Dude they got excellent value he’s just getting started for Dallas

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It did, but teams lose QBs all the time... they were 1-3 with Dak with starting. Was it really worth it for the Cowboys this year to draft CeeDee? It's still obviously way early. But their defense was bad bad, they couldn't run the ball but they had 3 WR's almost get 1000 yards.

Their defense was bad bc their coordinator sucked, they switched to a 3-4 signed a ROLB who had been out of the league for year to play bc he finally got off drugs & he and history with Nolan and McCarthy. Also don’t forget that Gerald McCoy blew out his knee before the season started.

I don’t see a player a available to the Cowboys in the draft that was a better option than Cee Dee Lamb. You take the BPA. They had young LBs, had young CBs - couldn’t predict the OL injuries, Dak’s injury, Gerald McCoy’s injury or their injury to their #1 CB.I

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ceedee is looking like a good player, but that's not the point I am trying to make, the actual value of drafting a WR (A third WR at that). They already had two 1,000 yard receivers. You can't stop them yet the team was 1-3 with Dak starting. You can't predict injuries to the OL but almost every year a team has injuries to the OL. Their 29 y/o left tackle Tyron Smith hadn't played more than 13 games since 2015. Why not take a LT of the future like Austin Jackson. Their center just retired. Why not take a Cesar Ruiz there? If you don't value OL depth you will end up like how the Cowboys did last year. They had smarter options there but instead they went with the "BPA"

Now this team drafts in a similar situation and I'm hoping they make a better decision.

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Ceedee is looking like a good player, but that's not the point I am trying to make, the actual value of drafting a WR (A third WR at that). They already had two 1,000 yard receivers. You can't stop them yet the team was 1-3 with Dak starting. You can't predict injuries to the OL but almost every year a team has injuries to the OL. Their 29 y/o left tackle Tyron Smith hadn't played more than 13 games since 2015. Why not take a LT of the future like Austin Jackson. Their center just retired. Why not take a Cesar Ruiz there? If you don't value OL depth you will end up like how the Cowboys did last year. They had smarter options there but instead they went with the "BPA"

Now this team drafts in a similar situation and I'm hoping they make a better decision.

BPA is almost always the best choice especially at a position like WR or DB where you have 6 or more of them and sometimes 4 of them on the field at once & on D at times you can have 6 DBs on the field at once.

@ripsean21 Here’s a question for you, do you think Zaven Collins is a comp to Anthony Barr? Maybe a lesser version but still like that.

Perhaps what we can do at LB is draft him at 19 or trade back 5-10 spots and then take him, Bolton or Dylan Moses.

We can have Zaven Collins play SLB and move Holcomb to MLB. If we take Bolton or Moses they’d take over in the middle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@ripsean21 Here’s a question for you, do you think Zaven Collins is a comp to Anthony Barr? Maybe a lesser version but still like that.

Perhaps what we can do at LB is draft him at 19 or trade back 5-10 spots and then take him, Bolton or Dylan Moses.

We can have Zaven Collins play SLB and move Holcomb to MLB. If we take Bolton or Moses they’d take over in the middle.

That’s pretty good comp he’s just a lanky athlete that can rush around the edge and is just super instinctual. He’s also good on stunts through the gut and he just has a high motor. I’m not the biggest Bolton fan and Moses has tore his ACL and seems a step slower but maybe he regains his form another year removed he just seems a tick slower. I think I’m more in the if you can’t get Collins I’d really then look to get value with Chaz Surratt from UNC if we could get lucky again in the third. I think Surratts a really good talent I think he just needs to get with a coaching staff that could really work with his raw tools. But as far as positions your on it that’s what those guys are Surratt would be SLB as well as Collins

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s pretty good comp he’s just a lanky athlete that can rush around the edge and is just super instinctual. He’s also good on stunts through the gut and he just has a high motor. I’m not the biggest Bolton fan and Moses has tore his ACL and seems a step slower but maybe he regains his form another year removed he just seems a tick slower. I think I’m more in the if you can’t get Collins I’d really then look to get value with Chaz Surratt from UNC if we could get lucky again in the third. I think Surratts a really good talent I think he just needs to get with a coaching staff that could really work with his raw tools. But as far as positions your on it that’s what those guys are Surratt would be SLB as well as Collins

Yeah, I forgot about Surratt, I meant to mention him. Do you think that Surratt has the size/strength to play SLB?

He’s only 225 lbs and seems more like a WLB to me and we have several guys competing for that spot especially if we bring back KPL. I think we need to get a bigger LB like Zaven Collins, Bolton, Moses or wait till round 2 or 3 and take someone like browning from Ohio state who can play MLB or SLB and then have Holcomb play the other position.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I forgot about Surratt, I meant to mention him. Do you think that Surratt has the size/strength to play SLB?

He’s only 225 lbs and seems more like a WLB to me and we have several guys competing for that spot especially if we bring back KPL. I think we need to get a bigger LB like Zaven Collins, Bolton, Moses or wait till round 2 or 3 and take someone like browning from Ohio state who can play MLB or SLB and then have Holcomb play the other position.

Me and my bud did a test run for a mock on this podcast just to see how we flowed and he did odds and gave us Jaycee Horn. It was a interesting mock I gave Collins to Tenn I really broke that pick down but I mentioned Collins for us while discussing our needs and how I liked the Horn pick he was the third CB off the board but how Tampa we really could have used a physical guy and I tend to think Farley but he snatched him for the chargers and his squad lol

14 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Me and my bud did a test run for a mock on this podcast just to see how we flowed and he did odds and gave us Jaycee Horn. It was a interesting mock I gave Collins to Tenn I really broke that pick down but I mentioned Collins for us while discussing our needs and how I liked the Horn pick he was the third CB off the board but how Tampa we really could have used a physical guy and I tend to think Farley but he snatched him for the chargers and his squad lol

Taking a corner could be the pick but that’s predicated on if we lose Darby or not. My guess is we pay him to stay bc both sides want to continue dating & actually sound like they want to put a ring on it.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, turtle28 said:

Trade back 5-10 spots and then take him, Bolton or Dylan Moses.

This is the move I’m looking at if they are still on the board at 19 (i.e., haven’t traded the pick or moved up the board) and Lance/Waddle/Darrisaw are all gone. I’d be looking to move back and take Nick Bolton, who I think probably profiles as a pretty good young MLB.

I don’t love him the way I loved guys like Roquan Smith and Devin White, both of whom I would have killed to get here. He doesn’t have quite that same package — not the same size, not the same speed, not the same forceful flow to the ball. He has some trouble taking on blocks and tends to loop around to avoid guys. But he’s still pretty fast, twitchy, aggressive shooting gaps when they’re there, etc. He’s a little tight in man coverage, but at least we’ve seen him do it, unlike a guy in Collins who I’ve never seen play a snap in man. 

To me, he doesn’t seem a likely star. But a I think high-effort, high-character, reasonably explosive, good athlete with a good shot to become a very solid starter in the middle. And playing behind this DL might unlock more of his talent, because they’ll keep him cleaner than Mizzou did most of the time.

• Like 1