2021 NFL Draft Thread

10 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

We clearly were in the Matt Stafford Sweepstakes...

I've stated several times I believe Ryan Fitzpatrick is the perfect bridge QB. I would trade for Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Sam Darnold or Jimmy Garoppolo. Those are just off the top of my head...

Here’s my gripe. If you trade for the guys you’ve listed, with the exception of Fitz, we would be making heavy financial commitments and we would just be putting ourselves in the same situation we’re in with Alex. We’ll win just enough to be out of reach of the top QBs but not good enough to win anything of substance.

With our defense, we won’t be picking in the top 5 anytime soon so now we’re forced to trade up. It’s why I’ve advocated for it and I’m totally okay with it. If they want Fields and he falls out of the top 5 then go get him. If they think he’s a franchise QB and someone they want to build this program around then you spend the draft capitol and you make it happen. If you don’t have a franchise QB you aren’t going anywhere and I have no interest wasting cap space or time on old QBs who’ve proven they can’t get it done. 

• Like 1

If last night taught us anything it’s that o line depth is extremely important. Mahomes having to run for his life against a 4 man rush every play was devastating for that offense. This is why I’m never mad when we draft o lineman. It seems as if that position is most prone to injuries at some point in the season and having solid depth goes a long way. I do still understand the desperate need for a true MLB, QB, and WR/TE. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Here’s my gripe. If you trade for the guys you’ve listed, with the exception of Fitz, we would be making heavy financial commitments and we would just be putting ourselves in the same situation we’re in with Alex. We’ll win just enough to be out of reach of the top QBs but not good enough to win anything of substance.

With our defense, we won’t be picking in the top 5 anytime soon so now we’re forced to trade up. It’s why I’ve advocated for it and I’m totally okay with it. If they want Fields and he falls out of the top 5 then go get him. If they think he’s a franchise QB and someone they want to build this program around then you spend the draft capitol and you make it happen. If you don’t have a franchise QB you aren’t going anywhere and I have no interest wasting cap space or time on old QBs who’ve proven they can’t get it done. 

Except by the time we traded for Alex Smith he was already on the down side of his career.  

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

While I understand the notion that the franchise QB is someone that you build around, I don't think our definition or "Franchise QBs" are the same. 

I think Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB. Even with his age. Even with the fact he has never won a championship. The idea that a player "cannot win the big game because they have never done it in the past" is kinda crazy to me. 

Let's not forget QBs like, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have won the big game. None of them were ever considered "elite" or Franchise QBs. (I kid with ShEli) The #1 thing each of them had was a defense behind them that played phenomenally well. 

What I am trying to say is, our defense is not several years away from being championship caliber. Our offense simply cannot keep up with anyone and yes a veteran like Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Derek Carr helps close the gap. Let's also not act like any of the mentioned QBs are a year or less away from retiring. You are going to get at least 2-3 years from any of these "aging" vet QBs. As Tom Brady continues to prove, age is only a number. 

This brings me to the last point. Can anyone honestly say they didnt see a single thing from either Kyle Allen or Taylor Heinicke that warrants them being in Burgandy and Gold next year? I think they would both be good back-up with potential to maybe take "a leap" in the coming years. 

We’ve been talking so much about QBs and WRs, but I keep seeing mocks recently where people have Penei Sewell dropping down the board (beyond Rashawn Slater) and into the 8-10 range. Which I find absurd. I like Rashawn Slater — I might have been the first here to sing his praises, back when it was being claimed that Chase Young didn’t face any good tackles — but I find that absurd. They’re probably pretty close in terms of pass protection, but Sewell makes much more impact in the run game and he’s much more of an NFL athlete. 

Anyway, probably a crazy idea, but...would anyone make a move up the board for a premier LT prospect who is dropping for god knows what reason? How high would you be willing to go?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Which is why I said, if we're getting rid of Alex, we sign Fitz to mentor the QB we draft.

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We’ve been talking so much about QBs and WRs, but I keep seeing mocks recently where people have Penei Sewell dropping down the board (beyond Rashawn Slater) and into the 8-10 range. Which I find absurd. I like Rashawn Slater — I might have been the first here to sing his praises, back when it was being claimed that Chase Young didn’t face any good tackles — but I find that absurd. They’re probably pretty close in terms of pass protection, but Sewell makes much more impact in the run game and he’s much more of an NFL athlete. 

Anyway, probably a crazy idea, but...would anyone make a move up the board for a premier LT prospect who is dropping for god knows what reason? How high would you be willing to go?

I wouldn't move up for a LT.  I can't even think of a comparison when someone did that?  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I'm not up on the LT prospects. But if we truly view this guy as a franchise LT (a la Trent Williams without the drama)? I'd move up 5 spots to grab him. Going all the way up to 8-10 would be too much draft capital to give up. 

Of course...<you know what I'm going to say>

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not up on the LT prospects. But if we truly view this guy as a franchise LT (a la Trent Williams without the drama)? I'd move up 5 spots to grab him. Going all the way up to 8-10 would be too much draft capital to give up. 

Of course...<you know what I'm going to say>

If you move up 5 spots you should just take a QB.  

On 2/7/2021 at 3:48 PM, lavar703 said:

But this is silly. Wilson, Lance, Fields and Jones all have an opportunity to be very good. Burrow was seen as can’t-miss and then there was Tank for Tua before that and Herbert is better than both. Andrew Luck was the only really cant miss in his class and Russell Wilson ended up being better. Mahomes and Watson both fell outside of the top 10. With the way things have been there’s a good chance one of these guys ends up being better than Lawrence. Not taking a chance at all is worse. 

There is a difference between prospect and what they actually come together as.  You both are right in this situation.  Andrew Luck was a better prospect than Russell Wilson.  But Russell Wilson turned out to be the better guy under center.  

24 players were picked before Mike Trout.  He turned out to be better than all of them.  But Stephen Strasburg was by far the best prospect in that draft.  

22 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

We clearly were in the Matt Stafford Sweepstakes...

I've stated several times I believe Ryan Fitzpatrick is the perfect bridge QB. I would trade for Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Sam Darnold or Jimmy Garoppolo. Those are just off the top of my head...

Eh, I would trade for Matt Ryan, but none of those other guys excite me.......and I don't think the new Falcons coach, as an offensive-minded guy, is going to trade Ryan.  He's got a ready-built offense, and the hope is that Dean Pees can do something, anything, with their defense.