2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

One thing is for sure, this is a great OT class although it has a lack of sure things which fits perfect for the late 1st through second round option. 

After the prize in Sewell you got so many potential starters with various small question marks.  I don't personally think Sewell is without a question mark himself.  Some of these guys aren't strong enough or tough enough to run block but are technical wizards and some are road graders who need to work on technique or some have the short arm or undersized complex and fit in the guard category.  

I agree with you, although I do think late 1st/early 2nd can be a dangerous place for OTs.

It’s not nearly as treacherous as trying to navigate that area while mining for hidden QB talent. But conceptually it’s kinda similar: most guys who (1) unquestionably have the physical capability of playing LT in the NFL and (2) have a proven track record of success at the position end up getting taken quite early. So you end up with guys like James Hudson (Cincinnati), who are all projection without a ton of production, or guys like Alex Leatherwood (Alabama), who have been successful players at a high level but may well lack the physical ability to translate to the NFL game. 

That said, like you, I definitely do like some of the options for us in that range this year. I like Sam Cosmi from Texas, who I consider a mix of those two categories — good projectable tools, pretty good player in the Big 12, still needs some work technically, especially in the run game. Kind of like a young Cornelius Lucas, when I think about it. I’d want to trade back a bit, ideally, before grabbing him. If we’re talking pick 51, I’d be happy with the aforementioned James Hudson or Dillon Radunz from NDSU. 

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not sure where though. Maybe Dallas at 10. Sewell still goes before him. 

I’ll say Sewell goes to the Jets with Darrisaw going to the Bengals. Also, Slater is probably going to the Giants or the 49ers. There’s going to be surprises in the top 10 this year. There isn’t a real consensus at the top. I think mocks are going to be more wrong than usual and it’s why I’ve said consistently one of Fields, Jones or Lance will be available when we pick. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll say Sewell goes to the Jets with Darrisaw going to the Bengals. Also, Slater is probably going to the Giants or the 49ers. There’s going to be surprises in the top 10 this year. There isn’t a real consensus at the top. I think mocks are going to be more wrong than usual and it’s why I’ve said consistently one of Fields, Jones or Lance will be available when we pick. 

Yeah my gut is saying the draft goes nothing like predicted now just to many things that never happen happening in these mocks, It'd be interesting to see what falls to the 11th 12th pick area where trade ups are more plausable for us.Rather its QB,OT,WR,or Parsons

On 2/22/2021 at 10:50 PM, Woz said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

b8062b091e49cc7df9d62d7f0a694738.gif

(in all seriousness, it depends on what the "issues" are)

ebb0dec7becda19162d9ab4e81ea3be538935c1d

(it's not Parsons, but I'm not going complain about taking offensive linemen)

Absolutely concur. He is the #1 player on my board. That's right forget a QB!!!!! LOL. Now I know some will disagree. But the addition of Parson playmaking skills is very much needed on our D. But when all said and done we can stop dreaming about him falling to us. He will be long gone. Now if a scenario occurs were he falls a bit I wouldn't be oppose to moving up to draft him either. I am in the OL WR camp at our #1 pick.  But realistically speaking let's wait and see how the FA period pans out. Not sure of the exact date but it occurs in March, way ahead of the draft. With that behind us teams can KINDA narrow down their options as to what positions to really target in the draft if you know what I mean. 

Edited by 4209

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

Absolutely concur. He is the #1 player on my board. That's right forget a QB!!!!! LOL. Now I know some will disagree. But the addition of Parson playmaking skills is very much needed on our D. But when all said and done we can stop dreaming about him falling to us. He will be long gone. Now if a scenario occurs were he falls a bit I wouldn't be oppose to moving up to draft him either. I am in the OL WR camp at our #1 pick.  But realistically speaking let's wait and see how the FA period pans out. Not sure of the exact date but it occurs in March, way ahead of the draft. With that behind us teams can KINDA narrow down their options as to what positions to really target in the draft if you know what I mean. 

He was my number two player for us on my board before the season started behind Trey Lance. Sadly neither got to play so while players have moved up some have fallen I still think Parsons and Lance would be amazing here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Micah Parsons will be long gone by 19. He’s probably going to Atlanta. No way they pick a QB. 

I ageee. I for sure think ATL will take the best defensive player on the board and right now that’s Parsons. I guess these rumors could knock him down but there has to be a lot proven for that to happen IMO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Micah Parsons will be long gone by 19. He’s probably going to Atlanta. No way they pick a QB. 

Parsons dropping is becoming pretty common around the ole mockosphere at this point. I don’t know if they all independently came to that conclusion or if someone influential said it and then lots of others jumped on board — but it’s not just one or two people saying this. 

I don’t know what they know about him off the field, but I’d have to assume it has to do with the issue he had at PSU. Which, if true, was pretty concerning stuff, undoubtedly. But is the information they have on it really solid enough to drop the guy from consensus top 5 prospect (and top 10 pick) to the late teens? Bears monitoring. 

As a player, there’s not much to dislike about the physical profile and playmaking ability, at the very least. I don’t think he’s naturally your classic MLB, and thus would rate him behind guys like Roquan Smith and Devin White from recent drafts — but I’d love to see him at 19. Hell, I’d love to see him at 13 with the ability to move up for him.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, taylor made said:

The Falcons have Deion Jones..

Jones could be moved to weak side LB, he’s certainly athletic enough or Parsons can play weak side or strong side. Parsons is athletic enough to play weak side and big/strong enough to hold up on the strong side.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Could be a steal in the late rounds for the slot. I’ll have to watch more videos on him and read more but getting separation on 90% of his targets is impressive. I’d say Steven Sims does that but S.Sims has questionable hands which has held him back. 

29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Define "late rounds". If he's there past the 3rd, color me shocked. 

Agree. To me, he’s deeply in the mix with all these guys like Rondale Moore, Amon-Ra St. Brown, D’Wayne Eskridge in the 2nd-early 3rd round mix of slot types (I’m assuming at this point that Ka’darius Toney goes higher than that or he’d be in the mix too). Those guys all pop off the film.

Which is why I’m so down on the idea of signing Curtis Samuel. Because even behind those 5, you also have a bunch of other guys like Amari Rodgers, Shi Smith, Dazz Newsome, Demetric Felton, Tutu Atwell, etc. who will be in the late 3rd-5th round mix. That’s a lot of slot/gadget talent to choose from. 

None of those guys except Felton (and maybe Rondale) will probably spend any time lining up as a RB like Samuel does — but we already have McKissic, who sort of obviates the need for a WR who can flex into the backfield, as he basically already is one. I think we can find a Samuel in the draft...not nearly as sure we could find a Robinson or a Davis. 

The Athletic posted their staff mock draft today. It’s a format I like (each team reporter making the pick for their respective team) because each pick is only about the team making the best pick for them. When you have one individual putting together a mock, I think it inevitably ends up becoming a little bit more about making the the whole mock fit together — some degree of working backward, like “I love Parsons to NYG and I think that happens, so I guess I’ll have DEN pass on him and take Farley instead.” The “staff” mock is a closer re-creation of the actual process where every team only cares about itself. 

Anyway, some of the highlights:

▪️ Three QBs and two WRs in the top 5

▪️ Eagles go Sewell at 6, Cowboys go Surtain at 10, Giants go Pitts at 11

▪️ Of other WFT need position targets, Waddle goes to DET at 7, Lance goes to CAR at 8, Slater goes to SF at 12, Vera-Tucker goes to LAC at 13, Parsons goes to NE at 15, Horn (if CB is a need) goes to ARI at 16

▪️ For my board, anyway, that leaves us on the clock at 19 choosing between Darrisaw, Owusu-Koromoah, Bateman, Toney, and Mac Jones. I probably would have gone Darrisaw there.

▪️ Ben Standig (our rep) went with Owusu-Koromoah, citing his speed and versatility, as well as the major need.

▪️ Jones went 20 to CHI and Darrisaw went 21 to IND. After that, it was a lot of DL and OT picks, with a couple CBs and Zaven Collins (28 to NO) sprinkled in. No WRs taken after our pick, meaning Toney and Bateman both fell to the top of Round 2.

Edited by e16bball