2021 NFL Draft Thread

7 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

This may put him in contention to be the 3rd WR over Waddle.

i like some wanted to pass on Bateman at 19 but that is huge for him. Makes me think he could be an option.

especially if our free agent acquisition is a slot guy like Samuel, or crowded if he’s released

Idc what he ran he doesn’t seperate well. He had plenty of time to train for a .10th of a second and I’m pretty sure that’s a track school so I’d assume they have a fast surface. He’s very good after the catch QB play was bad but I’m not sold on him for the range he goes. I have terrace Marshall above this guy and Toney as well.  Bateman in the 3rd would be a steal he’s a 2nd round guy for me and he could go round one. I wouldn’t want to be that team

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Idc what he ran he doesn’t seperate well. He had plenty of time to train for a .10th of a second and I’m pretty sure that’s a track school so I’d assume they have a fast surface. He’s very good after the catch QB play was bad but I’m not sold on him for the range he goes. I have terrace Marshall above this guy and Toney as well.  Bateman in the 3rd would be a steal he’s a 2nd round guy for me and he could go round one. I wouldn’t want to be that team

I’m with you on Bateman, we definitely could be wrong, but when I was watching him play in 2019 with Tyler Johnson, I like Johnson better. Bateman reminds me a lot of Nkeal Harry, a lot of catches in traffic and not good separation, but does well after the catch and catches over people. But that doesn’t translate to NFL, look at Doctson and Harry. Again I could be wrong but I also would prefer both of the Moore guys, Toney, Marshall over him. Also depends on what we do in FA. If we sign a #2 or slot receiver. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I’m with you on Bateman, we definitely could be wrong, but when I was watching him play in 2019 with Tyler Johnson, I like Johnson better. Bateman reminds me a lot of Nkeal Harry, a lot of catches in traffic and not good separation, but does well after the catch and catches over people. But that doesn’t translate to NFL, look at Doctson and Harry. Again I could be wrong but I also would prefer both of the Moore guys, Toney, Marshall over him. Also depends on what we do in FA. If we sign a #2 or slot receiver. 

That’s exactly where I was and he never jumped out this year as well. Johnson is a dog and Bateman yes is a talented guy and we could be wrong but I just don’t want to burn a high selection on his tape.

8 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I also really like Marshall, however I’m not big in Toney like most

14 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I also really like Marshall, however I’m not big in Toney like most

I think Marshall or Smith would be the best players for this team. Smith and Terry would be insane two fast quick twitch guys with amazing hands feet and routes would be crazy. Marshall I love too because he’s big fast seperates huge hands while also soft and the guy has pretty tight route breakdowns for a guy his size. I think he’s actually going to be a special player. Toney man honestly he and Pitts are special. Toney is just the type of guy your going to have to make sure gets his touches because he does so many things very well. Need a 9 Toney. Jet sweep Toney. Screen Toney. Good routes he’s just not overly tall but he’s def a game changer.

The more I think about it, we should not overpay for Curtis Samuel. I like the guy, but Rondale Moore, Elijah Moore and Kadarius Toney could be our version of Samuel and they’d be younger and cheaper and potentially better. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

The more I think about it, we should not overpay for Curtis Samuel. I like the guy, but Rondale Moore, Elijah Moore and Kadarius Toney could be our version of Samuel and they’d be younger and cheaper and potentially better. 

*high five* 

34 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

there are a lot of interesting fast slot type guys in the draft,one guy I like round 3 or later is Tutu Atwell from Louisville undersized for sure at 5'9 160ish but watching film the speed looks effortless,Also still learning the WR spot as he played QB in high school learning to turn the ffortless looking speed into some routes from a guy like Terry would make him a top tier slot guy

On 3/2/2021 at 3:29 PM, Umbaugh21 said:

With that said, you’re still forcing yourself to spend your first on a position you didn’t have too. I’d sign Samuel or Smith-Schuster and give McLaurin a running mate. Then with the 19th pick I’m taking Collins or JOK unless Lance or Fields falls like I suspect one of them will. 

• Like 1

I think Mac Jones is going to go in the top 10. I think he goes before Fields and Lance. It’s hard to teach the things he’s good at already. Ball placement, ball fakes, pocket presence etc. He doesn’t have the greatest arm ever but he’s got the juice to get it where it needs to go. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him picked by Carolina. He reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan. Smart, cerebral and won’t put your team in a bad spot with stupid mistakes. I think Fields is going to be the one who falls.

Also, I’ve been watching a bit more of Lance and he scares me some. Every time he takes the snap he immediately looks to his left. I’m assuming that’s where his top receiving target is but a lot of the time he doesn’t move off of this. He just turns left and stares it down the whole way. He has a world of talent and he’s basically Josh Allen 2.0 but he’ll need to go somewhere that he can develop. Whatever team takes him the fanbase is going to have to be very patient. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

With that said, you’re still forcing yourself to spend your first on a position you didn’t have too. I’d sign Samuel or Smith-Schuster and give McLaurin a running mate. Then with the 19th pick I’m taking Collins or JOK unless Lance or Fields falls like I suspect one of them will. 

I’m not necessarily saying they have to spend there first round at receiver if not signing Samuel. I’m fine with signing Juju or Golladay or Godwin. A true receiver. And then drafting BPA at 19. I’m saying that Samuel is more of an athlete than a receiver, he gets hand offs and runs out of the slot, and that we can find a guy in the draft that can be that kind of playmaker. I think it’s much easier to find those little gimmick weapons like Samuel in a draft, compared to a polished receiver. One of the receivers I mentioned could fall to us in round 2. Or later in the draft you have Tutu Atwell, Amari Rodgers, Shi Smith. All guys that I think can do what we would sign Samuel to do. 

My preference would be to sign one of the receivers I mentioned and then later rounds draft one of the slot hybrid guys and have a solid core of 3 receivers. 

Edited by Umbaugh21

I heard the same arguments about Kyler Murray being risky/unproven being talked about Trey Lance. Trey Lance won the Walter Payton Award and Jerry Rice award in the FCS. He couldn't compete this year because of coronavirus. You have to look at the circumstances. What else do you want him to do? Sometimes you have to take risks in the NFL draft.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:27 AM, ripsean21 said:

I think it depends on what you’re looking for in a WR. If we are looking for the quick jitterbug slot WR type we should take Marshall, Moore or Toney. If we are looking for the physical presence with strong hands on the outside who is good at making tough catches in traffic and against tough coverage I’d take Bateman.

The way I look at it is that it’s easier to find a slot WR type in the mid rounds than a WR like Bateman. So, I’d rather take Bateman in round 1 - as he reminds me of a Michael Thomas type - I hate making that comparison but I have to be honest about it. 

Then, in the mid rounds we can come back and take a slot WR type. Or, we may even sign Curtis Samuel or another WR in FA which will make one or the types of WRs more of a need than the other.