2021 NFL Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I heard the same arguments about Kyler Murray being risky/unproven being talked about Trey Lance. Trey Lance won the Walter Payton Award and Jerry Rice award in the FCS. He couldn't compete this year because of coronavirus. You have to look at the circumstances. What else do you want him to do? Sometimes you have to take risks in the NFL draft.

I agree with you there, he’s definitely the most raw but his ceiling is high, if he can learn to go through his progressions I think he could be a solid pro

all in all I would take any of the top 5 QBs in this draft to be honest, not saying I would trade up but if one fell to 19 I would probably take them. I’m most worried about Fields as far as the top 5 goes but I would still take him.

outside the top 5 guys we all know who I like and that’s Mond. I don’t see any others that I could see taking a step and learning to eventually be a starter in the league. I’m passing on Trask

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I heard the same arguments about Kyler Murray being risky/unproven being talked about Trey Lance. Trey Lance won the Walter Payton Award and Jerry Rice award in the FCS. He couldn't compete this year because of coronavirus. You have to look at the circumstances. What else do you want him to do? Sometimes you have to take risks in the NFL draft.

True but at the same time that doesn’t mean I have to be proven about him as a prospect. I too can’t do anything about COVID. I can only go by what I see and I see the least NFL ready QB of the top 5 prospects in the draft and that scares me in terms of him developing into what we need.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I agree with you there, he’s definitely the most raw but his ceiling is high, if he can learn to go through his progressions I think he could be a solid pro

all in all I would take any of the top 5 QBs in this draft to be honest, not saying I would trade up but if one fell to 19 I would probably take them. I’m most worried about Fields as far as the top 5 goes but I would still take him.

outside the top 5 guys we all know who I like and that’s Mond. I don’t see any others that I could see taking a step and learning to eventually be a starter in the league. I’m passing on Trask

I have to be honest. I feel as if Fields is being graded on a different scale than Trey Lance which to me isn’t fair but it is what it is. Fields is being graded on a different scale bc he went to Ohio State, he played this year and OSU has a lot of talent. Where Lance has a lot of the same questions - even more questions than Fields IMO - but Lance is getting a pass by people - including talent evaluators - bc he didn’t play much last year. Yet, all Fields did was once again outplay Trevor Lawrence.

I mean what do people expect from Fields? Perfection? None of them are perfect. I think he’s being held to a higher standard.

If Fields falls to us or near us and we trade up for him I feel we are getting a steal and shouldn’t hesitate to take him. He’s a better prospect as a passer than Cam Newton was when Rivera & Hurney took Cam so, I think they’ll find away to use Fields in a way as OSU did to make him very effective even as a young QB as he develops and improves in the areas he needs to.

Fields is a humble guy, a hard worker and I expect him to work hard and improve on what he needs to improve on unlike Haskins which was very disappointing for me to see last year.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I have to be honest. I feel as if Fields is being graded on a different scale than Trey Lance which to me isn’t fair but it is what it is. Fields is being graded on a different scale bc he went to Ohio State, he played this year and OSU has a lot of talent. Where Lance has a lot of the same questions - even more questions than Fields IMO - but Lance is getting a pass by people - including talent evaluators - bc he didn’t play much last year. Yet, all Fields did was once again outplay Trevor Lawrence.

I mean what do people expect from Fields? Perfection? None of them are perfect. I think he’s being held to a higher standard.

If Fields falls to us or near us and we trade up for him I feel we are getting a steal and shouldn’t hesitate to take him. He’s a better prospect as a passer than Cam Newton was when Rivera & Hurney took Cam so, I think they’ll find away to use Fields in a way as OSU did to make him very effective even as a young QB as he develops and improves in the areas he needs to.

Fields is a humble guy, a hard worker and I expect him to work hard and improve on what he needs to improve on unlike Haskins which was very disappointing for me to see last year.

Like I said I would take him but I wouldn’t mortgage the farm to move up to top 10 to do so. I wouldn’t do that for any of these QBs as they are all honestly unknowns 

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it depends on what you’re looking for in a WR. If we are looking for the quick jitterbug slot WR type we should take Marshall, Moore or Toney. If we are looking for the physical presence with strong hands on the outside who is good at making tough catches in traffic and against tough coverage I’d take Bateman.

The way I look at it is that it’s easier to find a slot WR type in the mid rounds than a WR like Bateman. So, I’d rather take Bateman in round 1 - as he reminds me of a Michael Thomas type - I hate making that comparison but I have to be honest about it. 

Then, in the mid rounds we can come back and take a slot WR type. Or, we may even sign Curtis Samuel or another WR in FA which will make one or the types of WRs more of a need than the other.

Only guy who is a projected slot guy I would take round one is Waddle and that’s if he made it to 19 but outside of round 1 Toney, Eskridge, both Moore’s, dazz Newsome, Dyami Brown, Tutu Atwell, could all be guys outside of round 1 I look at for the slot WR

I think Terrence Marshall will have one of the better careers out of all of the WRs in the draft. He did drop like 7 passes but it’s something about LSU WRs. I think whoever gets him in the 2nd will be happy

my sleeper in the draft at WR is Damontae Coxie from Memphis. 6’3” 200, he’s gonna be a late round guy but depending on his 40 time he could rise. He opted out after the 2nd or 3rd game but is right behind Anthony Miller as far as some records, he had to sit behind Miller his first year but year 2 and 3 he balled!!! He’s really physical as well. If he was there in the 5th-7th and we are looking to add an outsid guy I would take him.

he had offers from Alabama and committed to LSU twice before he messed his knee up and ended up in Memphis, guys gonna be a steal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Like I said I would take him but I wouldn’t mortgage the farm to move up to top 10 to do so. I wouldn’t do that for any of these QBs as they are all honestly unknowns 

I actually think we know a lot about Fields which I see is a reason why he’s falling some. People seem to be over analyzing him and for some reason thinking that he doesn’t still have a lot of potential he hasn’t reached meanwhile others seem to be getting a pass in that area bc they didn’t play against good competition or didn’t play much at all. It’s just a weird dynamic to me.

In all honesty, the over analyzing of Fields reminds me a lot of what happened to Dak 6 years ago and look At what Dak turned into?

Now, if you want a comp for Dak, I think it’s Justin Fields even more so than Mond.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I actually think we know a lot about Fields which I see is a reason why he’s falling some. People seem to be over analyzing him and for some reason thinking that he doesn’t still have a lot of potential he hasn’t reached meanwhile others seem to be getting a pass in that area bc they didn’t play against good competition or didn’t play much at all. It’s just a weird dynamic to me.

In all honesty, the over analyzing of Fields reminds me a lot of what happened to Dak 6 years ago and look At what Dak turned into?

Now, if you want a comp for Dak, I think it’s Justin Fields even more so than Mond.

Dak was a running QB in college who could pass the rock as well. I think fields is more of a field general in that aspect and I’ll be honest with you, yes the Ohio St. thing does throw me off a bit, I would be lying if I said it didn’t, but I would still take him but once again I’m not trading to much to go get him.

i wish we could of seen what he would of been at Georgia 

15 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Dak was a running QB in college who could pass the rock as well. I think fields is more of a field general in that aspect and I’ll be honest with you, yes the Ohio St. thing does throw me off a bit, I would be lying if I said it didn’t, but I would still take him but once again I’m not trading to much to go get him.

i wish we could of seen what he would of been at Georgia 

Fields was a running QB who developed into more of a passing/pocket QB last year at OSU and it’s really weird bc he seems to be being downgraded for it. 

Why does it matter where Fields developed and what school he played for? It’s so aggravating, he outplayed Trevor Lawrence in both CFP games they played in, that means so much to me, I don’t know why so many people overlook it. I mean BYU hasn’t produced a great starting QB since the 80s & NDSU has only one ever and that QB took a step back last year but no one even mentions that. 😂 

Why would anyone believe that Kirby Smart was going to develop Fields any better than Ryan Day?

Take the schools out of it and just look at the progress Fields made from his first year starting to his second year.

Fields in his first year at OSU as a sophomore at was definitely a one read and run QB, his 2nd year at OSU as a junior he was a QB who went through his reads but was too slow in going through them, and I think he held onto the ball too long and didn’t run when he should of but mostly bc he wanted to prove to everyone he could be a pocket QB. 

Heck, Fields made that progress in college while Dak didn’t make it until his 2nd year as a starter in the NFL. In that way, I’d say Fields is ahead of Dak as a prospect but their size and athletic ability really makes me think it’s a good comp for Fields.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

You can look at my past posts. I’m a big fan of Trey Lance. I’d love for him to be the pick or to trade up for him but if he struggles this fanbase is going to eat him up. I personally don’t care what the fanbase thinks but the owner is dumb and impulsive. I just want Lance to succeed because I think he has the ability to be incredible but I’m not sure this is the environment to foster that? 

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can look at my past posts. I’m a big fan of Trey Lance. I’d love for him to be the pick or to trade up for him but if he struggles this fanbase is going to eat him up. I personally don’t care what the fanbase thinks but the owner is dumb and impulsive. I just want Lance to succeed because I think he has the ability to be incredible but I’m not sure this is the environment to foster that? 

While I’m not 100% with you on Trey Lance developing into a great starting QB, I 100% agree with the bolded.

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

There’s something weird going on with that list (from Walter Football), because it has certain prospects that have supposedly had all these meetings with basically every team. Check that link — Zaven Collins, Asante Samuel, Teven Jenkins, Rondale Moore, Tommy Tremble, Anthony Schwartz, Trill Williams among others are listed with a half dozen or more visits with every single team. It’s like it’s the same list for every team. 

Edited by e16bball

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

There’s something weird going on with that list (from Walter Football), because it has certain prospects that have supposedly had all these meetings with basically every team. Check that link — Zaven Collins, Asante Samuel, Teven Jenkins, Rondale Moore, Tommy Tremble, Anthony Schwartz, Trill Williams among others are listed with a half dozen or more visits with every single team. It’s like it’s the same list for every team. 

I wasn’t aware of that.