2021 NFL Draft Thread

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Just for discussions sake.......do you think we forgo QB in the draft this year, or do you think whoever we draft is going to sit the majority of next year?  I guess also include in that what round you think they take a QB?

I transferred your question from the GDT over here, seems like it probably fits better in the draft thread. 

Anyway, I should probably start by saying that I suppose it’s more that I think they should wait until 2022, rather than that I think they will. I can very easily see a team run by Ron Rivera (fresh off a big losing year following a year where he got fired) and Dan Snyder (becoming more involved as Rivera’s seat gets hotter after a terrible season) being impatient to bring in their newest savior. 

But I sure would wait. All of this is contingent on Lawrence being unavailable to us — I would take him under any circumstances. I cannot, however, envision many realistic scenarios where the Jets win more games from here on out than we do. 

Lance is not even a consideration for me. I think @Thaiphoon said it well, the kid may well have talent coming out of his ears, but this is not the place to develop a super raw prospect like that. They won’t sit him for long, they won’t have the talent to surround him with when he does get thrust in, they won’t have the necessary patience (YEARS) to let him grow and develop at a healthy rate. It’s a nightmare waiting to happen. Let that kid go somewhere that will take better care of him.

Which leaves us with Fields. And this is a very unscientific basis for being queasy about a prospect, but I get double deja vu with him as a Redskins prospect. The obvious one is taking the guy who succeeded our last (apparently failed) 1st round QB. Haskins had magnificent production there at OSU and couldn’t cut it here, how can I trust that this guy’s magnificent production is worthy of being pick 1.2? The other one is that it would be eerily reminiscent of 2012 if we missed on the consensus generational QB prospect everyone had been dreaming about for years and instead settled for the dynamic athlete with the sterling numbers and all the “tools” as a consolation prize. My goal is to move away from everything the Redskins have traditionally done, and taking Fields would feel a whole lot like something we’ve already done.

As for other QB prospects, I feel very strongly that if you’re not among the consensus top 10-15 picks, then the odds of you becoming a star QB in the NFL are extremely low. So I have very little interest in using other valuable resources on a lower-tier prospect. Late on Day 3, fine. But I need those other quality picks (rounds 2-4) to help build the foundation for the eventual blue-chipper we get our hands on.

So for me, I think I’ll likely end up wanting to pass on QB in this draft. I think my goal will be to use FA and the draft to revamp the OL and add at least one playmaker. We cannot keep doing this same old thing where we draft the QB before we build the offensive foundation. I think it’s absolutely critical that we have a lot of that already in place when we pull the trigger on a young QB. So I’d be fine with a placeholder for the next 1.5 seasons while we stock the cupboard. Ideally, that would be Haskins, as I think he’s the only one who could possibly surprise and develop into a franchise QB over the next two years. But I assume that ship has pretty much sailed, so I’m okay with standing pat and letting Allen keep the seat warm for Daniels or Howell or Slovis or whomever else is tugging at the heartstrings come April 2022.

• Like 2

I think if we end up picking second again they almost have to take Sewell. With that said, they’re going to pick one of the QBs. Rivera moved on from Haskins so fast that I wonder how much of a fight he put up to take Tua? The first pick is Lawrence and at this point with Rivera throwing in the towel on Haskins I hope that’s where we end up but I’m assuming we take Fields or Lance and ruin whichever one we get. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I think if we end up picking second again they almost have to take Sewell. With that said, they’re going to pick one of the QBs. Rivera moved on from Haskins so fast that I wonder how much of a fight he put up to take Tua? The first pick is Lawrence and at this point with Rivera throwing in the towel on Haskins I hope that’s where we end up but I’m assuming we take Fields or Lance and ruin whichever one we get. 

If he put up a fight for Tua with Chase there we need a new coach and scouting dept. but I don’t think we would ruin Fields or Lance or whoever if they prioritize adding compitition along the OL with higher draft picks and maybe a FA or two for decent money. It was nice seeing Brandon out there bulling guys. Man if he ever stays healthy he could be a cornerstone of this line going forward when on the field he is a good pass blocker but a excellent run blocker. We can draft a QB first and that be completely okay. But if they ignore a OL or two who are not just development prospects but legit ball players then we can justify getting our guy. I think if we pick a QB we have no reason but to be excited. But if they continue to ignore the OL then it will blow up. If we don’t get him a blue chip TE he will also fail.

2 minutes ago, Troublez said:

Next year we should have sufficient cap space to shore up our O-Line with FA as well as draft prospects. 

IMO,Nothing from this team tells me that we will sign nothing more than average free agents. I don’t think we’ll need much cap space for that shopping spree!

4 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

IMO,Nothing from this team tells me that we will sign nothing more than average free agents. I don’t think we’ll need much cap space for that shopping spree!

I think we will sign the right type of FA. Pretty sure that Baltimore won't be able to keep all three of their O-Lineman that are FAs. Those are the type of Football Players  Ron might like?

43 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I think we will sign the right type of FA. Pretty sure that Baltimore won't be able to keep all three of their O-Lineman that are FAs. Those are the type of Football Players  Ron might like?

We had the money to do that this past off-season and instead we signed scrubs. This has been going on for 10 years now. It’s not going to stop simply because we’ll have like $100M in cap space. 

58 minutes ago, Troublez said:

As best I can tell, the type of OLs Ron might like are Wes Schweitzer and Cornelius Lucas. 

I’m not just saying that to be glib. I totally agree with you that FA should be an option for targeted high-level upgrades to the OL. My heart is already set on giving big money to Corey Linsley from the Packers, for example. But I don’t see any evidence that suggests Rivera will be leading any pricey forays into FA. The needs were obvious this offseason, the cap coffers were overflowing this offseason, and they did almost nothing with it.

I hope you’re right. I’m still going to dream up my ideal offseason where we aggressively strike for a couple young(ish) proven FA targets at positions we’ll struggle to immediately address in the draft. But until shown otherwise, I’m skeptical that Rivera will be willing to play ball at market prices. 

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If we have number 2 overall again. This might be the year to trade down for a haul of picks . Some team will want a QB there .

Well- Maybe us ! 

I’m completely with this. We could rebuild this team with the assets. We’d have to have someone willing to give fair value but there’s Sewell which would be the hardest to pass on. But he Parsons and Gregory from the U!!! Sewell and Parsons would be amazing here and I’d love the selections!!! But trading back maybe we come away with Pitts and a LT like Walker Little or whoever they could go CB in Wade but I think they would want to go OL. Pitts can actually block even though he should be running routes but it’s def there for him. I think this year we can go so many ways to infuse this roster. We can make the selection and get a blue chip or trade and take a lot of chances.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Which leaves us with Fields. And this is a very unscientific basis for being queasy about a prospect, but I get double deja vu with him as a Redskins prospect. The obvious one is taking the guy who succeeded our last (apparently failed) 1st round QB. Haskins had magnificent production there at OSU and couldn’t cut it here, how can I trust that this guy’s magnificent production is worthy of being pick 1.2? The other one is that it would be eerily reminiscent of 2012 if we missed on the consensus generational QB prospect everyone had been dreaming about for years and instead settled for the dynamic athlete with the sterling numbers and all the “tools” as a consolation prize. My goal is to move away from everything the Redskins have traditionally done, and taking Fields would feel a whole lot like something we’ve already done.

HOT DAMN THIS TAKE RIGHT HERE.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This is where I’m at too. I also agree with @e16bball, that’s what I’d like to see happen but I don’t see it happening. As Lavar said, I see Rivera taking his most favorite QB prospect this year. He’s going to want to develop his own guy and put his stamp on the team like he did with Cam Newton.

I think there’s an outside chance that Ron signs Cam Newton next March but, I would think he would’ve done that this past spring if he was going to do it. I hope we don’t sign Cam, Bc I want a future QB starting and developing with this young team but I can’t tell what Rivera is going to do anymore.

I guess we’ll see on that.

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

We have to draft and sign OL that fit the ZBS scheme. I don’t think Baltimore’s OL do outside of Ronnie Stanley and I think he’ll be the one Baltimore re-signs.

I honestly think Ismael will be our starting center next year and we’ll draft his back up in the 4th to 6th round. Ismael was drafted for Scotty’s ZBS scheme. 

Edited by turtle28

Have any of you watched any of Zach Wilson at BYU? Haven’t watched him much but his numbers are impressive! I could see a 2nd or 3rd on him depending where he is pegged to go in the draft. 

could be a good pick along with a vet QB to start off the season

Sewell, Wilson, WR, TE would be nice for picks in the first three rounds

24 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Have any of you watched any of Zach Wilson at BYU? Haven’t watched him much but his numbers are impressive! I could see a 2nd or 3rd on him depending where he is pegged to go in the draft. 

could be a good pick along with a vet QB to start off the season

Sewell, Wilson, WR, TE would be nice for picks in the first three rounds

I know Zach Wilson has great stats but I haven’t seen him play much. I will definitely try to check him out more.