2021 NFL Draft Thread

The best highlight video I’ve seen of Fields. It has some of the plays he made to the wide open WRs but also shows the tight windows he threw into at times to WRs & even one rocket to Dobbins when Dobbins was bracketed by two Northwestern LBs in the middle of the field.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The best highlight video I’ve seen of Fields. It has some of the plays he made to the wide open WRs but also shows the tight windows he threw into at times to WRs & even one rocket to Dobbins when Dobbins was bracketed by two Northwestern LBs in the middle of the field.

He has so much time.  

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

have we not learned our lesson about Ohio State QB's yet? they always suck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mar29020 said:

I think people need to understand that there is a different between a pro-ready athlete (Ryan Kerrigan, Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, etc.) and an athlete being propped up by an elite system. (Tim Tebow, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell)

There are some that benefit from being both (Jon Allen, Daron Payne, Terry McLaurin, Chase Young, etc.) and there are some that are strictly a product of the system and won't amount to anything. Unfortunately there is always the possibility of getting fooled by system guys. 

This is one of the reason teams should ALWAYS steer clear of one year wonder QBs in the draft. 

14 hours ago, mar29020 said:

You scout the player NOT the school. I used to have this same thought process and it’s why I didn’t want Mike Thomas drafted by Washington in round 1 of the 2016 draft, how did that work out?

McCloughan should’ve listened to Gruden in 2016 and taken Michael Thomas over Doctson.

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think people need to understand that there is a different between a pro-ready athlete (Ryan Kerrigan, Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, etc.) and an athlete being propped up by an elite system. (Tim Tebow, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell)

There are some that benefit from being both (Jon Allen, Daron Payne, Terry McLaurin, Chase Young, etc.) and there are some that are strictly a product of the system and won't amount to anything. Unfortunately there is always the possibility of getting fooled by system guys. 

This is one of the reason teams should ALWAYS steer clear of one year wonder QBs in the draft. 

Good thing is we’ll have 8 games, maybe as much as 11, to evaluate Fields this year too.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:54 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Our TE in 2022! 😀 

I want the Penn State TE, Pat F. 

Pat is a good blocker - which we need if this running game is going to become more consistent - and has great hands as a receiver. I think he should be available in round 2 when we pick. If he is, we should take him. I want a solid reliable TE who can do it all. I’m growing tired of the Jordan Reed/Logan Thomas types who are athletic receivers but can’t block.

Edited by turtle28

17 hours ago, mar29020 said:

So had he stayed at Georgia and most likely done the same exact thing would drafting him be okay? I mean, it’s kinda silly. Wasn’t he the top recruit in the nation when he signed with GA? Do we exclude Joe Burrow from being an OSU QB? I get it if you’re a June Jones or Mike Leach product Justin Fields is a long ways from Craig Krenzel. Programs evolve. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

I think it's a negative that Fields did play at Ohio State because they and the Big Ten don't have the best track record for developing NFL talent. But that doesn't mean I would cross Justin Fields off your draft list. Like Lavar said above he was a top-2 recruit out of high school and he tested as an elite athlete. He's recorded as running a 4.51 forty and posted a top SPARQ number.That helps your chances for NFL success. A lot of those plays in the above highlight video, Fields created himself with his feet. It's true there are some plays, where he has a lot of time to throw and that is concerning after drafting Haskins. His play has been compared to that of a mini-Cam Newton  by some dratniks and you have to think Rivera and Turner will be intrigued.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think it's a negative that Fields did play at Ohio State because they and the Big Ten don't have the best track record for developing NFL talent. But that doesn't mean I would cross Justin Fields off your draft list. Like Lavar said above he was a top-2 recruit out of high school and he tested as an elite athlete. He's recorded as running a 4.51 forty and posted a top SPARQ number.That helps your chances for NFL success. A lot of those plays in the above highlight video, Fields created himself with his feet. It's true there are some plays, where he has a lot of time to throw and that is concerning after drafting Haskins. His play has been compared to that of a mini-Cam Newton  by some dratniks and you have to think Rivera and Turner will be intrigued.

The Big10 and Ohio State doesn’t have a good track record of developing talent?

Might want to look around the league, heck, might want to look at Washington’s roster.

Our top 3 players on our team are from Big10 schools:

Chase Young

Terry McLaurin 

Brandon Scherff

Two of the best QBs of all time came from the Big10 and are still playing:

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson - Wisconsin, Big10 school 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The Big10 and Ohio State doesn’t have a good track record of developing talent?

Yes,  according to my research. You can name a few people that succeeded and were great players but that doesn't mean there were a ton of busts/below average players drafted in the first round from there that drags down there overall score. I haven't done much research outside the first round, so let me clarify that.

9 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Yes,  according to my research. You can name a few people that succeeded and were great players but that doesn't mean there were a ton of busts/below average players drafted in the first round from there that drags down there overall score. I haven't done much research outside the first round, so let me clarify that.

Yeah, might want to look up Michael Thomas. I think he’s pretty good. Eddie George, I think he did alright for himself. Orlando Pace, Shawn Springs, Joey Galloway, the Big10 has had a bunch of defensive players over the years that have been good to great pros, same with offensive linemen. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdayblitz.com/2016/08/06/what-colleges-have-the-most-hall-of-famers-in-the-nfl/amp/

Ohio State, Syracuse and Alabama are among the schools with the most players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and added to their totals with Orlando Pace, Marvin Harrison and Ken Stabler inducted.

They’re all looking up to USC who has the most former players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame with 12.

3. Ohio State (9) - Cris Carter, Sid Gillman, Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli, **** LeBeau, Orlando Pace, Jim Parker, Paul Warfield, Bill Willis

*Ed Sabol

Edited by turtle28