2021 NFL Draft Thread

8 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

2021 1st, 2022 1st, and Scherrf that’s as far as I’m going

I’m actually okay with that. You can sign Turner and use your second on a guard. Essentially you get something for a guy your losing next year anyways because your swapping a pick and giving up a 1 next year in a class that just doesn’t have the arms legs or intangible’s on film to this point any of these guys have. Howell threw about 5 int’s last year on defensive offsides. I like him a lot but he’s the best going into next year and he just lost some dog’s. We will see but I think this year would be the year to pull a deal.

Because sitting Lance is a good idea and if he was coming out next year he’d be in line for the top pick especially playing another year at NDST. So if you can get him for that type of cost I’d pull the trigger he’s a beast talent. His arm can only get better. He has the mid range game you need to succeed and can throw with anticipation. As long as he learns to read through progression and puts in the film study this guy is a going to be a menace.

Having a 230 pound tank at QB and a 230 pound RB who is a Swiss Army knife the idea of that offense with Terry and Samuel that’s serious speed and serious size coming out the backfield. With our defense we’d have something pretty dynamic for both sides of the field. 

11 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

2021 1st, 2022 1st, and Scherrf that’s as far as I’m going

Have to make sure the team can take on Scherff’s salary. If Scherff & ATL agreed to the contract extension and we traded him with that contract extension in place already it will work but, I don’t know enough about it to say that it definitely will.

We need a @Thaiphoon an @Woz or an @e16bball ruling on bc I’m not sure.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Have to make sure the team can take on Scherff’s salary. If Scherff & ATL agreed to the contract extension and we traded him with that contract extension in place already it will work but, I don’t know enough about it to say that it definitely will.

We need a @Thaiphoon an @Woz or an @e16bball ruling on bc I’m not sure.

That team could negotiate and agree in principle with Scherff (with our permission obviously) and then we could do the trade. They would then submit the new contract details as part and parcel with the trade, I assume, which would allow their cap number to stay low. I’m not 100% certain on this, but presumably all the parties have an incentive to make it work, so I don’t think there would be any push to cry foul about the fact that technically for a few moments they were over the cap. 

I don’t think it works like the NBA, where the trade is illegal and will be disallowed on its face if the numbers don’t work out up front.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

So your saying the best player in the draft was made by a QB who couldn’t continue to push the ball down the field without said player in the lineup. Please go back and watch the 3 games this season without Pitts on the field. It’s very concerning tape bud. And two of those games he still had Toney and Grimes. Most college football roster’s are lucky if they field a roster with a talent like either of those guys. Much less both then you add Pitts.

If you watch Florida and see how he does when he can’t step into a throw it’s even more concerning then how he preforms without Pitts. That’s why Florida would move him and gimmick him to get as far away from the rush and use play action a ton. This guy would have been exposed in the senior bowl just like Newsome and Frank’s were. Teams in the NFL are going to bring the house on this guy to make him throw under duress because he’s shown time and time again not only will he make bad decisions but he doesn’t have the arm to throw off balance and drive the ball to bail him out. If that’s a skill set your willing to take before the 6th round your asking for trouble. Poise under pressure is a very important trait.

All I am saying is that we have never seen either player independent of the other and so acting like one was a success only because of the other is pure speculation and could be reversed.  All I know is Trask was still the one distributing the ball and his team was good but it wasn't like Alabama good.

I think you make a good point about being concerned about how he handles pressure, but pressure is one thing, not having your players is another.  I don't know or watch enough to understand how that offense changes without pitts.  College football schemes sometimes aren't very good at adjusting.

I think Trask has some real strong qualities that are hard to teach.  Your boy Mond does too.  But I don't know how you teach the accuracy issue.  You also can't teach the size.  Mond might have more upside, but Trask has more nfl ready tools.  I think Mond needs real development and as @lavar703 would say, he likely needs to sit.  Unfortunately, he is looking to be over drafted which make that development a challenge.

This statement that Pitts is the best player in the draft is pretty bold.  He looks like a true elite TE.  But #1 in the draft?  I think that is a big stretch.  He is an average at best blocker.  So he isn't a completely player yet.  If he was as dominant as a pass catcher without any other threats on the roster I might be more apt to buy this but he wasn't even the #1 pass catcher on the team.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Kind of tells you where the Broncos are. They weren’t willing to trade Lock & picks for Stafford.

One of these QBs is going to fall in a comfortable trade up range. Hell, one might fall all the way. 

• Like 1

I believe we have to draft our QB in this years draft. Next years 2022 draft the quality of QBs go down a lot. It looks like the talent level gets better in 2023 but we can’t wait that long. Like other people have said our defense with some quality LB/S can be on another level. I can’t wait to see what happens on 4/29, hopefully we get the QB who can turn this franchise around even if they have to sit for a year. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 3:11 PM, lavar703 said:

Im not sure what you want me to say? You can keep harping on what I said about draft picks but it’s true. We can draft LBs and LTs and TEs and WRs and we still aren’t going anywhere because we don’t have a QB. There’s already a solid foundation here and the salary cap does not allow you to build complete teams. Once you have close to an elite defense it’s time to go for it. 

I mean, what’s the alternative? This idea that we can continue building and building is just silly. The only thing that keeps a team competitive during the super bowl era is an elite defense or a franchise QB. You can keep a franchise QB for close to 20 years but an elite defense comes and goes very fast. So we can sit around twirling our thumbs hoping for a Russell Wilson to drop in our laps or you can make the move up to get the guy your coach wants. Not doing it now is just delaying the inevitable because they’ll have to do something about this problem eventually and the longer you wait the older and more expensive the rest of the team gets. 

@Lavor703 We just disagree on Trey (drafting a QB early in rg1  ) it just that simple. No big deal!!!!!!!!!!! but I will tell you this. If you are right and Trey turns out to be a franchise QB (a leader, mature, intelligent, consistent, accurate etc) and it would help greatly if we start winning some PO games and winning some SB's then I will gladly eat my crow. No problem. Now understand this and here me out clear. When all say and done I could care less about who is right or wrong on this issue. I just want our WFT to take it to the next level and WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by 4209