2021 NFL Draft Thread

7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Right honestly I think this is the year to move back not up. If your staring one of the top tier guys scoop him. But honestly the idea of moving back and getting Jamin Davis and then hopefully taking a chance on Mond at whatever point and hopefully getting future picks seems like the best case for us. I mean I can see them moving up but I think back is the best thing since I think the depth is deeper moreso then higher end talent

Thank goodness Mond isn't beetlejuice or you would be in for it.  You can't stop saying Mond Mond Mond :)

If you (or a GM) believed this highly in Mond, then you use #19 on him.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I want a **** Butkus LBer. Mean muther = gonna hurt ya ! Old school. None of these namby pamby finesse dudes . Just me 🤓

Well that's funny- his name is **** ! OK, let's go this way- Richard Butkus !

This isn’t 1960

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Thank goodness Mond isn't beetlejuice or you would be in for it.  You can't stop saying Mond Mond Mond :)

If you (or a GM) believed this highly in Mond, then you use #19 on him.  

I think when we look back we will wish we had. Especially 5 years from now when we know what this class put out.

16 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think when we look back we will wish we had. Especially 5 years from now when we know what this class put out.

You could be completely right and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s our pick in the second round but anytime I’ve watched him play I see late round/undrafted type QB. He’s not an explosive passer or runner. He isn’t overly accurate and I just don’t see him developing beyond what he is. He’s started a ton of games so we have a really good idea of what he’s going to become at this point. If we do pick him I’ll back him and want him to succeed but at this point I just don’t see it. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You could be completely right and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s our pick in the second round but anytime I’ve watched him play I see late round/undrafted type QB. He’s not an explosive passer or runner. He isn’t overly accurate and I just don’t see him developing beyond what he is. He’s started a ton of games so we have a really good idea of what he’s going to become at this point. If we do pick him I’ll back him and want him to succeed but at this point I just don’t see it. 

I get that. He’s come a long way in college. I think I just see a guy who made the best of what he had to work with. They had a all SEC schedule and he competed and won games against better teams. I think when he gets on a roster with some weapons and more importantly a team that can protect him he will shine. And I think when he actually lets himself use his legs as a weapon and not just on the script he’s really going to take off. The reason I’m enamored with him is unlike most athletes who look to run this guy used his college career to evolve as a passer and this year you really saw 3 years of lapses and lesson’s come together.

Plus I’d really like to know how many tight window passes he’s made in his career compared to all these other players. His guys rarely get separation against good teams. He would give his guys chances and I just don’t agree with accuracy being his issue. I think he throws the ball where a defender that’s draped on his man can’t get it once he has to get rid of the pass. I’ve just seen him make NFL window throws because of the coverage on his guys that I think is going to put him ahead of these top guys when they start seeing the DB’s all over their guys because they are used to being able to throw to spots because the separation their pass catchers have. 

To be honest I think that’s what has really made the difference for me the last 5 years. It’s what I call my Josh Allen lesson. I knocked him because of a number. I used to have this if they can’t complete 60% in college they won’t progress that in a higher league. Then I went back and rewatched him after his rookie year I watched 5 games I recorded or saved to my Chanel. It’s not that the guy isn’t accurate. What I saw was a guy putting the ball in a place away from the defender. Maybe the ball wasn’t caught and in college for Mond and Allen a lot of the times they weren’t caught. But he instead of taking a sack or throwing it in the stands would trust his arm and rip it through a tight window and placed the ball where their guy had a chance. More often then not they wouldn’t make the play. 

Now how do you translate that? So you have a NFL WR who gets his hands on that ball more often then not those throws are catches. It’s a big reason why as Buffalo has gotten Allen weapons not only does he look elite. But they are hauling in the passes that were being dropped before. So the thing I’ve done with my evaluations is I take away every wide open TD from the QB’s in college.

And the numbers jump out and speak for themselves. If you take away Rec’s of 3 yds of separation or less you wouldn’t believe what the numbers are on these prospects this year. Not only would you believe it but if I gave you each of their numbers and didn’t give you the names I bet you that your top 3 picks and your rating of the top 9 guys in this class would shock you. In fact only one of the QB’s that we’re talking about in the top 4 guys would even still be in the top 4.

Then you also have to factor in the guys making the catches. So if I gave you the list Trask would be higher on the list then you think. But this is where the eyes come in. When he’s throwing his tight coverage throws he is rewarded by Pitts Toney and Grimes. 3 Uber talented pass catchers. Fields is the only guy in the top 4 that would still be on this list. Then you have to factor in Chris Alave is the recipient or his number one TE are the main guys he even trusted to throw these type of passes too. This isn’t a knock this is what you have to see and translate. If you can name a pass catcher on A&M that is anywhere close to any of these players afore mentioned I’d like to see where they line up because these guys aren’t close. 

To sum up what I’m saying is that Mond has a willingness to make NFL plays with regularity. His numbers aren’t eye popping because of the level of talent around him not to the basis of what he’s putting on tape. Basically when I watch him make these throws I think about Terry, Samuel, Thomas, Gibson and McKissic and they make these catches and plays. That is what they do. Most college QB’s the biggest adjustment is the willingness to throw a ball into tight coverage throughout the game. This is why I Loved Burrow and Herbert. Arm talent will only take you so far ask Haskins. If you aren’t confident or can’t thread a pass over a LB and drop it just out of a CB’s reach you have nothing. 

Mond doesn’t have the best numbers no matter how I stack it and I’m okay with that. What I factor in is how many catchable balls did he throw. Then how many of those passes were the right or smart play. IE did he miss a player elsewhere? Then my biggest thing is how does the guy look when the OL doesn’t hold up. When I factor in all these things together this guys a beast. Most athletes want to bail at the first sign of pressure. That’s why most athletes take so long to develop their ability to read defenses through progression. What good is a 30 year old athlete when his body is breaking down and his ability as a passer is top 15 or lower in the league? You have nothing. My biggest knock on Mond is he needs to play loose.

When this guy does play loose and has time he’s up there. But his instincts as a passer are closer to Herbert and Burrow and Allen and Mahomes then the rest of these guys. I’m not saying he will be anywhere near these guys. But really watch Trevor Lawrence. Watch him any time there’s a defender coming at him. He lays back to avoid contact and if his guys aren’t wide open he makes very bad decisions with the ball. Watch Zach Wilson. When he’s doing his thing he’s like Mahomes Lite. He does flashy things but he will release passes and your just like Nooooooooo!!! The plays and the rate he makes these plays he could have 20 INT’s next season for the jets.

Fields man he took me awhile but he has NFL traits and gifts. But he wants to run but you can see he will go against that run first instinct and scan the field. I like Fields. Lance just doesn’t have enough tape. But you do see willingness to make tight throws. Basically when I just apply the things I’ve been burnt on and the lessons I learned on guys I missed something on I just see the safest player as the one we could move back and take instead of up.

This isn’t just about Mond. This is about maximizing the value of this draft class and to do that IMO for this team is OL, ILB, QB, S. Just like the last few classes we have literally needed the strength of the class. This is why we’re hitting at a higher rate.we needed a pass catcher, edge and LB the year we drafted Terry. We didn’t force it we got a hella steal moving back up for sweat a top 5 talent on my board Terry and Cole. The Payne year DL was abundant. And we lucked out on he and Settle. We sucked the perfect year to get a generational player we needed more then any one position a unschemeable mismatch. Chase was the perfect player and we got a stud RB and stole a hybrid saftey in the 7th in a class full of Winfield, Chinn’s and Simmons. This year we need QB, OL and LB and S. This class is very close to the Devin year at LB. this is the best saftey class in 6 years or more. OL is a good group in the top round and a half and QB we are seriously lucky. We have a legit chance to have a roster that in the last 5 years we’ve completely overhauled to have a legit 5 year window before the depth starts to deplete due to paying each of these 5 classes. So now if you don’t trade away all your picks you from next year on can start to draft guys over the next 3 years you need to take over for guys who are amazing but we will have to move on from due to Chase Sweat Terry and Payne and co because we can’t keep them all. This draft is handled correctly will be the difference in a real SB run for this team or just a Uber talented roster with nobody to win it with. Mond in college isn’t the best. But he’s one of 3 guys in this class I believe can be the best player at that position 5 years from now on this roster.

I'm pretty certain we go offense in the 1st Rd, this draft.

Whether we trade up or not.

I believe our targets are OT Sewell or Slater.

TE Kyle Pitts

WR'S Smith or Waddle

QB's Trey Lance or Mac Jones

I think that is the top 7 on our Board at the moment.

And it wouldn't surprise me, if we traded up to get any one of these guys.

I also don't think any one of these would or will be left on our board when we pick @19 with the exception of QB Mac Jones. And even he is risky to hoping he slips to 19, imo.

Which is why I'm almost certain we trade up, to get one of them.

I'll be shocked if we stand pat, for this specific 1st Rd.

I also don't think it's out of the question that OG Brandon Scherff is packaged in some trade up scenario's.

Which I would be totally good with.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm pretty certain we go offense in the 1st Rd, this draft.

Whether we trade up or not.

I believe our targets are OT Sewell or Slater.

TE Kyle Pitts

WR'S Smith or Waddle

QB's Trey Lance or Mac Jones

I think that is the top 7 on our Board at the moment.

And it wouldn't surprise me, if we traded up to get any one of these guys.

I also don't think any one of these would or will be left on our board when we pick @19 with the exception of QB Mac Jones. And even he is risky to hoping he slips to 19, imo.

Which is why I'm almost certain we trade up, to get one of them.

I'll be shocked if we stand pat, for this specific 1st Rd.

I also don't think it's out of the question that OG Brandon Scherff is packaged in some trade up scenario's.

Which I would be totally good with.

While your right I really hope we have more then just those 7 guys as our top round options. There are players like Jamin Davis, Terrace Marshall who is a top 3 WR in this class for me. Derrisaw is a monster. The ND LB is a real defensive weapon who I’m not as high on as I am Davis with Curl and Collins but he is a option knowing Collins isn’t simply willing to play the role this guy excels and is clearly willing to play. There are simply more then just these 7 and realistically they are all stretches to reach our range.

And we simply can’t maximize this draft trading assets or future picks to secure one player when you look at the board and see how we could maximize our top 4 picks throughout or roster. Yes hitting on your top pick is very important but even more then that maximizing the draft haul to your roster is the recipe for your future team success. People get so caught up in 7 players that they don’t realize that trading away picks that can very much become Kam Curls or Cole Holecomb’s or Terry’s are the main reason teams have holes throughout after their top players. I’d almost argue that having an abundance of selections is better then just making your top 3 picks. Of course their all valuable if used properly but I think the best thing is to make a pick in each round based on how the board falls. 

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

While your right I really hope we have more then just those 7 guys as our top round options. There are players like Jamin Davis, Terrace Marshall who is a top 3 WR in this class for me. Derrisaw is a monster. The ND LB is a real defensive weapon who I’m not as high on as I am Davis with Curl and Collins but he is a option knowing Collins isn’t simply willing to play the role this guy excels and is clearly willing to play. There are simply more then just these 7 and realistically they are all stretches to reach our range.

And we simply can’t maximize this draft trading assets or future picks to secure one player when you look at the board and see how we could maximize our top 4 picks throughout or roster. Yes hitting on your top pick is very important but even more then that maximizing the draft haul to your roster is the recipe for your future team success. People get so caught up in 7 players that they don’t realize that trading away picks that can very much become Kam Curls or Cole Holecomb’s or Terry’s are the main reason teams have holes throughout after their top players. I’d almost argue that having an abundance of selections is better then just making your top 3 picks. Of course their all valuable if used properly but I think the best thing is to make a pick in each round based on how the board falls. 

This draft is such a Wildcard with lack of a full season and Kids opting out,don't think it helps us changing the front office for it.

Do think it could lead to teams being willing to trade for future picks more which if you want to go in you can by trading future picks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

This draft is such a Wildcard with lack of a full season and Kids opting out,don't think it helps us changing the front office for it.

Do think it could lead to teams being willing to trade for future picks more which if you want to go in you can by trading future picks

I think teams are going to be moving around a lot. I think teams are going to move up for their guys and other teams are going to want futures for more normal scouting circumstances. I think this is a huge class for teams. Some teams are going to value guys they saw play. Others are going to feel more secure maybe sacrificing this year to get into next years class with more information meetings during the year and just better all around feels for guys in next years class. I think the top 15 picks will be very interesting.

I think teams either move up a lot in the top 15 or if teams stand pay in the top 15 for the more sure top end talent teams in the bottom 17 picks in the first will be trying to move back due to the drop off after the top guys feeling they can get future assets along with a very similar player in the second round as they’d get with their first rounder once the top guys are gone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

He won’t be there. He’s going at pick 3. Chris Cooley, who as far as I know is pretty good friends with Kyle, says it has to be Jones with the third pick. Not only because he’s everything Mike and Kyle looked for in a QB but simply because he’s the third best QB in the draft. Chris Simms has been spot-on with his QB rankings has Jones third as well. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He won’t be there. He’s going at pick 3. Chris Cooley, who as far as I know is pretty good friends with Kyle, says it has to be Jones with the third pick. Not only because he’s everything Mike and Kyle looked for in a QB but simply because he’s the third best QB in the draft. Chris Simms has been spot-on with his QB rankings has Jones third as well. 

He has Mond 4th 🤣🤣🤣 sorry I couldn’t resist lol. Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan are best friends so I’d assume he may know. Cooley I’m sure has some behind the scenes info too. We don’t need to get into Mond please that was a joke bud lol. I like Jones. Not for us so much as we’re not running our preferred system we’re then tayloring the system. Jones is a heck of a thrower. I think he can do great things with Kyle. Personally for Jones I was hoping it’s San Fran and Carolina. But my Darnold Prediction happened and I think that’s what gets Joe Brady a HC job in two years.

• Like 2