2021 NFL Draft Thread

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Incidentally, I’ve tried to make this post like 10 times, and I keep losing it — so I’m just going to keep it brief to make sure I get the thought out there. 

I keep watching Trey Lance...and the *love* light just keeps not coming on. There’s a lot of traits to like, and he obviously can really move and can make all the throws. But for me, I’m just not impressed enough with his throwing. The highlights are fantastic — some throws will blow your mind and he clearly has every club in the bag. But the consistency just isn’t there for a guy I’m considering making the future of my franchise at an extraordinary cost. There are bad misses, some pretty consistent accuracy issues, and just an overall mediocre touch that makes me feel like he’s got a long way to go as a passer (and wonder if some of that, like touch, is stuff you don’t exactly “develop” over time). 

To me, I’m seeing 3 tiers of QBs. Lawrence on the top tier, then Wilson/Fields on the second tier, and then Lance/Jones on the third. I would probably be fine taking Lance at 19 if he’s there, just on the hope that he could take the Josh Allen path. But the idea of trading up a ton to get him is concerning to me. Would do it for Fields, though.

Lance is boom or bust to a tee for me,I'm ok gambling for a QB but it would have to be  like 7 or 8th pick at the highest though I's prefer the teens.

I see some Deshaun Watson when watching his game in his running and competitiveness but I also din't like Watson Acc coming out of college.Though Josh Allen is prob a better example.

To me it all comes down to if you think it all click more for him the more reps he gets,He either going to make a Coach and GM look like geniuses like Mahomes and Allen did or get them Fired like Jake Locker and Johnny Manziel

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

JP Finlay thinks it means they’re actually really interested and they don’t want to make it seem that way. Said they sent everyone to his first pro day. 

Could be. I think it’s a double edge speak the truth and everyone thinks your lying or just lie lol. I think it’s going to be a wild two week I think we are one of the biggest wildcards in the first round

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Could be. I think it’s a double edge speak the truth and everyone thinks your lying or just lie lol. I think it’s going to be a wild two week I think we are one of the biggest wildcards in the first round

I think at the end of the day they just won’t be willing to give up the picks necessary to move up and we’ll end up with Darrisaw or JOK. Just as long as it’s not Teven Jenkins. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:10 PM, ripsean21 said:

I think when we look back we will wish we had. Especially 5 years from now when we know what this class put out.

I was ribbing you, but I meant my second comment genuinely.  If a team rates an outlier qb as a potential franchise qb, you take him as soon as you can even if you believe you have a cushion of a couple rounds before he goes.  

But the only scenario I see us taking a guy like mond is if we can trade down a handful of spots and pick up another 2nd to rationalize the move.  Otherwise we got to use 19.  With 5 qbs being over-drafted likely in the top 7 picks, I expect the next couple qbs being pushed up into the top 40 picks minimum and that is likely Trask and Mond.  Honestly it would not shock me if we see 7 qbs in the first round which is complete madness and you can bet 4 will fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Incidentally, I’ve tried to make this post like 10 times, and I keep losing it — so I’m just going to keep it brief to make sure I get the thought out there. 

I keep watching Trey Lance...and the *love* light just keeps not coming on. There’s a lot of traits to like, and he obviously can really move and can make all the throws. But for me, I’m just not impressed enough with his throwing. The highlights are fantastic — some throws will blow your mind and he clearly has every club in the bag. But the consistency just isn’t there for a guy I’m considering making the future of my franchise at an extraordinary cost. There are bad misses, some pretty consistent accuracy issues, and just an overall mediocre touch that makes me feel like he’s got a long way to go as a passer (and wonder if some of that, like touch, is stuff you don’t exactly “develop” over time). 

To me, I’m seeing 3 tiers of QBs. Lawrence on the top tier, then Wilson/Fields on the second tier, and then Lance/Jones on the third. I would probably be fine taking Lance at 19 if he’s there, just on the hope that he could take the Josh Allen path. But the idea of trading up a ton to get him is concerning to me. Would do it for Fields, though.

I tend to agree with your assessment.  But red flags start after Lawrence for me.  

It would be one thing to take Lance at bottom of 1st or early in 2nd round knowing he is boom or bust and you would need to develop him.  It is quite another to trade up for a high risk guy like that with the lack of games he has played.  I am not sure how scouts could feel confident what he is with that little tape.

• Like 2

Already made my points about trading up for any of these QB’s (Fields, Lance, Jones). I am against trading a lot of draft capital for players that are very RISKY. Most of the QB’s drafted in the 1st rd are bust anyway. Not 3 or 2 # ones for me including some sweeteners. I will decline on the notion of getting desperate/impatient to get QB. Ok you might get lucky but the risk is to immense for me.  Although I believe in getting one at the right time. Only players worth trading up to ME and that’s if they fall into the teens is Parson or Pitts and that’s remote. So stay the course, see who falls or trade back. Besides this is a deep draft. If we do trade for any of the QB’s can we just wait please and see who falls that way we can give much less and my stomach won’t hurt as much LOL

32 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I was ribbing you, but I meant my second comment genuinely.  If a team rates an outlier qb as a potential franchise qb, you take him as soon as you can even if you believe you have a cushion of a couple rounds before he goes.  

But the only scenario I see us taking a guy like mond is if we can trade down a handful of spots and pick up another 2nd to rationalize the move.  Otherwise we got to use 19.  With 5 qbs being over-drafted likely in the top 7 picks, I expect the next couple qbs being pushed up into the top 40 picks minimum and that is likely Trask and Mond.  Honestly it would not shock me if we see 7 qbs in the first round which is complete madness and you can bet 4 will fail.

That’s basically where I was was moving back from 19 and hopefully picking up as many picks as possible to move to a range they feel comfortable. And I agree completely I think 4 or 5 of these guys no doubt don’t pan out. Atleast 2 or 3 of the top will have their issues. But it’s a interesting year. We shall see what happens.

btw I agree with what your saying and I’m cool I take things lightly. I am a friendly debater I like to be checked honestly if there’s something someone points out that I maybe missed or think I should fallow up it only makes my takes better if I catch it. Hopefully for all of us here we just make a bunch of great picks and really field a dangerous team to contend with for the next 5 with the youth and talent all around this roster finally

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I think at the end of the day they just won’t be willing to give up the picks necessary to move up and we’ll end up with Darrisaw or JOK. Just as long as it’s not Teven Jenkins. 

Yeah I’m with you. I just don’t think that the 2 that are likely to not be the top 3 picked will be worth whatever your giving up to move up. But I’m not the one making the deal. But we’re less then two weeks away I’m trying to really pay attention to all of y’all so when our pick is in I can know to ease around and who I can discuss my thoughts of the pick with happily 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I tend to agree with your assessment.  But red flags start after Lawrence for me.  

It would be one thing to take Lance at bottom of 1st or early in 2nd round knowing he is boom or bust and you would need to develop him.  It is quite another to trade up for a high risk guy like that with the lack of games he has played.  I am not sure how scouts could feel confident what he is with that little tape.

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

What do you guys think about R B ? Do we take one somewhere or bring in a UDFA ? 

If there's guys that we like in the draft, I'm good with that. i think we definitely need another outside of Barber or Miller. 

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

What do you guys think about R B ? Do we take one somewhere or bring in a UDFA ? 

I think we will in the mid rounds. Hopefully whoever we take is also a good special teams player and they can replace Peyton Barber’s role on the roster.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If there's guys that we like in the draft, I'm good with that. i think we definitely need another outside of Barber or Miller. 

I forgot we even signed Miller. I can’t remember what kind of special teams player he was earlier in his career, if he’s going to make the team he’s going to have to be a good special teams player IMO. Barber is, as well as being a good short yardage back and that’s the entire reason he made the team last year. If Miller can’t excel on special teams I can’t envision him making the team. Also, any RB we draft is going to have a be a good special teams player as well I think. Like Barber, our 3rd or 4th RBs are going to have to be good special teams players as that will be their major roles.

19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

What if --- Najee Harris is there at 19 ? 

I’d have to imagine that others will be available at that selection that more line up with our needs.

The way I look at it is that we don’t need a starting RB bc we have Gibson, we need a complementary back who could be a starter too but I would much rather see us address a bigger need than RB in round 1.