2021 NFL Draft Thread

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm a Georgia fan, so I saw him a lot last year.  Which is why I am saying that we need to see him play a legit defense before we start crowning him.  And this year, Florida didn't draw Alabama or Auburn, just Georgia, so we only have one chance to see him against a real defense.  That is going to make or break it for me. 

Look Trask is doing his thing for sure but anyone watching him and staking their rep on him better damn well hope their team picks Pitts too!!! Because while Trask is looking good if I had to take one I’m going with the TE because from what I’m seeing is if Pitts wasn’t on that offense their a two or even 3 loss team in a normal SEC year with Bama and Auburn on their schedule. 
Thatswhy it’s so hard to evaluate a QB because are they elevating the guys around them or are the guys elevating him. Last year Burrow just didnt make bad choices. And when he did he came back and got right back on rythm. If you blanket Pitts or if he misses snaps what is Trask? Yes his numbers are amazing. He’s killing it. But breaking down the TE position like I am I took away Pitts is what that passing game flows around. Just my opinion

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd prefer to stay away from Lance to be honest. I'm not all in buying that hype yet. 

As you shouldn’t be. I am because I’ve been on him since he came on the scene I watched him since his first game and just was like dang he moves well for how huge he is. Then he started making it rain and I haven’t been able to stop streaming him since.but if you get a chance check him out live. His decision making is what does it for me. Over everything he does great idc about not throwing a pick. It’s the throws you’ll see him not make that would have been or could have been he doesn’t make.hes a fun watch if nothing else

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup.

Sadly what you highlighted is true. And that is the reason we continue on the current path. Lance is a huge risk!!’ One that probably does mean another 4-5 win year. But I do think we run the type of offense he will excel in. He and Gibson and Terry OMG!!!!! That is a big 3 for the next 10. But I’d say that for Lawrence too but he’s coming into the league primed for sucsess. How much growth are you going to actually get? That said Lawrence is a hot ticket. He is slightly slender if your looking for a knock. But he’s the prototype if your trying to build the modern elite QB prospect. I’ve heard character things but that’s something I don’t get to evaluate.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

But if you don’t have a QB you literally have zippy. We might only have 1 chance to get a top QB. You can’t pass it up if you need one. We don’t need a hall of fame LT to have a good OL or to win, Steelers & Ravens have proven that the last 20 years, same with the Chiefs. Good not great LT can cut it.

You listed 3 teams with 2 HOF QB’s and possibly a 3rd.

I hate to go back especially with the Cowboys but Troy Aikman had one of the best O Lines ever to play and he was a very accurate QB but I wouldn’t say he was elite by no means. That line made Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman. 

10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You listed 3 teams with 2 HOF QB’s and possibly a 3rd.

I hate to go back especially with the Cowboys but Troy Aikman had one of the best O Lines ever to play and he was a very accurate QB but I wouldn’t say he was elite by no means. That line made Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman. 

Exactly, get the elite QB, he'll make an average OL look good. Heck, even our OL hasn't looked awful for the most part in pass pro this year bc Haskins mostly got the ball out quick, well see what happens w/ Scotty's drinking buddy Kyle Allen.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly, get the elite QB, he'll make an average OL look good. Heck, even our OL hasn't looked awful for the most part in pass pro this year bc Haskins mostly for the ball out quick, well see what happens w/ Scotty's drinking buddy Kyle Allen.

Which QB that we have a shot at is going to be elite? 

The only thing starting Kyle Allen does do for this team is it will allow them to completely evaluate who fits and who doesn’t for the scheme were clearly going to run. This scheme would thrive with a more mobile guy. Also you will see what you have in the OL when Kyle holds the ball to long so we will know who can and can’t sustain blocks.

Also we will probably see Gibson highlighted a lot more so maybe that lessens some of the bracket coverages Terry has been working through. Terry is leading the league in YAC because he always has a Saftey all game. Allen isn’t going to mask anyone because he’s basically one read and check down like Haskins has been to date.

But he is going to realize what our pass blocking really is so we may be sacked even more then we have been. But now I think we will actually see shots to Wright and AGG. Because these coaches are going to want to know what they have there as well. So for evaluation purposes I totally get it. I’m not against the move but I personally would have rode Haskins but I haven’t seen a lazy or whatever. So that’s the side that has me trusting Ron. But his interview just wasn’t well I will just stick with that.

Personally it sucks to be in the QB market but you are always in that market until you have that guy which is why I ive done a lot on Lance and Lawrence and personally I don’t like Fields at all as a QB. He’s RG at QB he can’t read it and he doesn’t feel it. But he’s an amazing athlete though!!! Game is exciting, heck of a arm.Can drop a ball in there nice. Too much football for final QB grades though or even takes heck Fields hasn’t played yet and I didn’t like Herbert before he took the field last year so I’ll give Fields his growth when he shows it. But come the end of last year I was loving Herbert once I really broke down what the coaches were doing with him and I just felt they didn’t utilize what he did best. He has a big grasp on the game and you could see him actually running that crazy offense and he did NFL things there.

Basically I just have to believe there’s a QB in this class and they want a honest look at what we have. I think they know Allen won’t win much but they feel like he will allow them to run every look they feel they need to see to evaluate what is here that can stay for the future. Because I have a feeling we’re going to make a ton of moves this offseason and I just believe they want to see this team in more situations and not playing catch up after two drives every game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd prefer to stay away from Lance to be honest. I'm not all in buying that hype yet. 

It’s always hard for me to buy the hype of the FCS players - sorry Thai & others - I didn’t buy that Wentz was going to be anything more than average, and I was wrong but hey, it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

The only thing starting Kyle Allen does do for this team is it will allow them to completely evaluate who fits and who doesn’t for the scheme were clearly going to run. This scheme would thrive with a more mobile guy. Also you will see what you have in the OL when Kyle holds the ball to long so we will know who can and can’t sustain blocks.

Also we will probably see Gibson highlighted a lot more so maybe that lessens some of the bracket coverages Terry has been working through. Terry is leading the league in YAC because he always has a Saftey all game. Allen isn’t going to mask anyone because he’s basically one read and check down like Haskins has been to date.

But he is going to realize what our pass blocking really is so we may be sacked even more then we have been. But now I think we will actually see shots to Wright and AGG. Because these coaches are going to want to know what they have there as well. So for evaluation purposes I totally get it. I’m not against the move but I personally would have rode Haskins but I haven’t seen a lazy or whatever. So that’s the side that has me trusting Ron. But his interview just wasn’t well I will just stick with that.

Personally it sucks to be in the QB market but you are always in that market until you have that guy which is why I ive done a lot on Lance and Lawrence and personally I don’t like Fields at all as a QB. He’s RG at QB he can’t read it and he doesn’t feel it. But he’s an amazing athlete though!!! Game is exciting, heck of a arm.Can drop a ball in there nice. Too much football for final QB grades though or even takes heck Fields hasn’t played yet and I didn’t like Herbert before he took the field last year so I’ll give Fields his growth when he shows it. But come the end of last year I was loving Herbert once I really broke down what the coaches were doing with him and I just felt they didn’t utilize what he did best. He has a big grasp on the game and you could see him actually running that crazy offense and he did NFL things there.

Basically I just have to believe there’s a QB in this class and they want a honest look at what we have. I think they know Allen won’t win much but they feel like he will allow them to run every look they feel they need to see to evaluate what is here that can stay for the future. Because I have a feeling we’re going to make a ton of moves this offseason and I just believe they want to see this team in more situations and not playing catch up after two drives every game.

Maybe, I think Kyle is limited physically compared to Haskins especially in arm talent, I don’t even think it’s close.

So we have two ways to look at it:

1. Start Scott Turner’s version of Colt McCoy bc he knows the offense or;

2. Start the QB who’s still learning the offense but has a lot of arm talent and will hopefully continue to grow into it with the other young players in the offense throughout the year.

I’d chose option 2, Rivera & Scotty chose Colt McCoy. In that way I feel like we fired Gruden the OC to hire a Gruden like OC who isn’t running the ball enough to make the offense balanced and is playing his buddy over a guy who could develop into a good starter after a year more in this offense.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s always hard for me to buy the hype of the FCS players - sorry Thai & others - I didn’t buy that Wentz was going to be anything more than average, and I was wrong but hey, it happens.

I missed on Wentz as well. and I broke him down hard they just ran the ball so much I was younger less patient like I just felt when he did throw it was against stacked boxes he even ran which I did like and I bought into the leap being to high. But these small school programs aren’t what they once were. Kids can’t always make grades or bloom late and theres hella coaches doing that good, work work programs at these smaller schools these days. 

Edited by ripsean21

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, I think Kyle is limited physically compared to Haskins especially in arm talent, I don’t even think it’s close.

So we have to ways to look at it:

1. Start Scott Turner’s version of Colt McCoy bc he knows the offense or;

2. Start the QB who’s still learning the offense but will hopefully continue to grow into it with the other young players in the offense throughout the year.

I’d chose option 2, Rivera & Scotty chose Colt McCoy. In that way I feel like we fired Gruden the OC to hire a Gruden like OC who isn’t running the ball enough to make the offense balanced and is playing his buddy over a guy who could develop into a good starter after a year more in this offense.

I get that my choice would be 2 as well due to trying to maximize investment. Maybe by year end he gets hot and he still isn’t your guy but now he’s a traceable asset. No I would choose that too but I get why their choosing one if their assume that is about the greater whole then the sum of one asset they were prepared to part with and essentially did a favor too. I completely get both sides. Hopefully he works his tail off and takes it back!!! Crazier things have happened

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I get that my choice would be 2 as well due to trying to maximize investment. Maybe by year end he gets hot and he still isn’t your guy but now he’s a traceable asset. No I would choose that too but I get why their choosing one if their assume that is about the greater whole then the sum of one asset they were prepared to part with and essentially did a favor too. I completely get both sides. Hopefully he works his tail off and takes it back!!! Crazier things have happened

Despite what Rivera has said publicly, I think they’re already out on the Haskins experiment as was Gruden last year. Sadly, this pet of this reminds me of the end of RG3 in DC but RG3 was given 2 years after his great rookie season. 

You had RG3 who wouldn’t listen to the Shanahan’s after his rookie year as he needed to develop into a better passing QB and he didn’t want to run the zone read as much anymore bc he had gotten hurt doing it.

Then, Gruden knee RG3 wasn’t the answer for his offense almost immediately but was forced to play him by Dan/Bruce in 2014. I think if Gruden had control/final say of that that Kirk would’ve started the season in 2014.

Then, Gruden didn’t want Haskins for similar reasons that he didn’t want RG3. Poor footwork, not developing in that area which is causing high and off target throws not seeing the whole field not knowing the entire offense etc.

Now Scotty & Ron are saying the same thing w/ Haskins that Gruden saw and why Gruden didn’t want to draft him. If it were up to Gruden, I think he wouldn’t taken Drew LocK at 15 but Snyder selected Haskins and the rest is history.

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Suck for Sewell.  

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I agree! Doesn’t matter who is taking snaps if you can’t keep him upright!

I'd +1 on these votes but still waiting on my new footballs ...

I said it before, I'll say it again: they have 4 picks in the top 100 right now. Three of them need to be dedicated to the offensive line, including the 1st rounder (which should hopefully be a left tackle). The fourth should be a pass catcher (WR or TE)