Jump to content
naptownskinsfan

2021 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

It’s Lawrence first for me. 

Then it gets dicey. I love Sewell and Chase. I consider them both to be well above the typical “top guy” at each of their positions, especially Sewell. 

I’m not sold on Fields or Lance (or Trask) at this point. I haven’t watched any of them closely enough, especially not Lance. He’s such a project for me that I can’t see this being the right setting for him. I’ve pretty much ruled him out, based on how they’ve handled Haskins. Let him go to Indy or something to work with Reich and sit a year behind Rivers. 

I like Parsons a whole lot too, but I don’t see how you can go defense in the 1st round next year. You’re either taking the QB or you’re trying desperately to get the table set with some offensive talent for the QB so he’s not hung out to dry like Haskins was here. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Woz said:

I'd +1 on these votes but still waiting on my new footballs ...

 

I said it before, I'll say it again: they have 4 picks in the top 100 right now. Three of them need to be dedicated to the offensive line, including the 1st rounder (which should hopefully be a left tackle). The fourth should be a pass catcher (WR or TE)

Can pick early for the OL. But with the amount of cap space. Someone needs to be bought in as well. So Safety, LB, WR can find some players with those other picks. Cause while it seems a nice safety class. The LB and WR collection seem Olive Oil thin. Would have to grab one early for hopes they can pan out. Nothing there for later.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Can pick early for the OL. But with the amount of cap space. Someone needs to be bought in as well. So Safety, LB, WR can find some players with those other picks. Cause while it seems a nice safety class. The LB and WR collection seem Olive Oil thin. Would have to grab one early for hopes they can pan out. Nothing there for later.

It would be nice, but most free agent OL types fall into three categories:

  1. Coming off their rookie contract looking for a big payday (going to be costly and high risk)
  2. Long in the tooth or injured veterans (or both) that are looking for redemption (lower price but medium-to-high risk)
  3. Scrubs that are around (cheap but not worth the time)

So, while they should look in free agency, I'm not all that optimistic they can even with the cap space.

Safety, LB, WR, and TE might be more finessable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Woz said:

It would be nice, but most free agent OL types fall into three categories:

  1. Coming off their rookie contract looking for a big payday (going to be costly and high risk)
  2. Long in the tooth or injured veterans (or both) that are looking for redemption (lower price but medium-to-high risk)
  3. Scrubs that are around (cheap but not worth the time)

So, while they should look in free agency, I'm not all that optimistic they can even with the cap space.

Safety, LB, WR, and TE might be more finessable.

What did A Cooper go for? 20+ million a year? And nobody lets a quality TE slip away. Theyre signing extensions a year before contracts are up. Safetys can be found by the truckload. Mountain of them last year so Ill give you that. LBs are another that when good rarely slip away.

Id rather hunt a quality guard for 12-15 million than 16-20+ mil for the same caliber WR. Top 3 round WR is a position that needs be addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s Lawrence first for me. 

Then it gets dicey. I love Sewell and Chase. I consider them both to be well above the typical “top guy” at each of their positions, especially Sewell. 

I’m not sold on Fields or Lance (or Trask) at this point. I haven’t watched any of them closely enough, especially not Lance. He’s such a project for me that I can’t see this being the right setting for him. I’ve pretty much ruled him out, based on how they’ve handled Haskins. Let him go to Indy or something to work with Reich and sit a year behind Rivers. 

I like Parsons a whole lot too, but I don’t see how you can go defense in the 1st round next year. You’re either taking the QB or you’re trying desperately to get the table set with some offensive talent for the QB so he’s not hung out to dry like Haskins was here. 

This is one of the most pointless posts I’ve ever made 😂 I started off with a point, and then I just started rambling and musing and making very minimally insightful comments. I re-read it and was like “why did you hit send on that?”

Anyway, the point I was trying to make on that arduous journey of a post is that I feel as though they should take a QB if he’s a slam dunk prospect. If not, I think they have to go offense, trying to infuse some high-end talent alongside McLaurin to give the next QB a shot to actually step right in and at least hold his own.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Sadly what you highlighted is true. And that is the reason we continue on the current path. Lance is a huge risk!!’ One that probably does mean another 4-5 win year. But I do think we run the type of offense he will excel in. He and Gibson and Terry OMG!!!!! That is a big 3 for the next 10. But I’d say that for Lawrence too but he’s coming into the league primed for sucsess. How much growth are you going to actually get? That said Lawrence is a hot ticket. He is slightly slender if your looking for a knock. But he’s the prototype if your trying to build the modern elite QB prospect. I’ve heard character things but that’s something I don’t get to evaluate.

Without a doubt. If Lance proves he can step up and be an NFL QB and continue his production like he did at NDSU? He would be a great QB for anyone. And I think he would fit this system better than anyone on the roster. I just think this franchise isn't prepared for that and needs a more NFL ready QB to "right the ship" first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is one of the most pointless posts I’ve ever made 😂 I started off with a point, and then I just started rambling and musing and making very minimally insightful comments. I re-read it and was like “why did you hit send on that?”

Anyway, the point I was trying to make on that arduous journey of a post is that I feel as though they should take a QB if he’s a slam dunk prospect. If not, I think they have to go offense, trying to infuse some high-end talent alongside McLaurin to give the next QB a shot to actually step right in and at least hold his own.

It's okay. I'm 51. I ramble too. I followed what you are saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Woz said:

It would be nice, but most free agent OL types fall into three categories:

  1. Coming off their rookie contract looking for a big payday (going to be costly and high risk)
  2. Long in the tooth or injured veterans (or both) that are looking for redemption (lower price but medium-to-high risk)
  3. Scrubs that are around (cheap but not worth the time)

So, while they should look in free agency, I'm not all that optimistic they can even with the cap space.

Safety, LB, WR, and TE might be more finessable.

An upgrade at FS is usually something you can’t get in FA... like we did last year then we made a head scratcher and cut the guy we signed all together and we don’t have a true back up at the position IMO unless you consider Everrett able to play there bc he’s a converted college corner - and I do - but he’s played more Strong than Free in the NFL. Curl was a college strong safety to my knowledge and they use him as a dime LB off of that ability he has.

TE too, we should sign Njoku.

WR, we should sign one and draft one TBH. Inman is ok but I’d want someone better as my #2 plus he’s getting old.
 

Sign Allen Robinson, David Njoku and Anthony Harris.

Draft a QB top 5, draft BPA the rest of the way:

1. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

2. Barron Browning, MLB, Ohio State

2. (from Atlanta for Haskins) Jackson Carman, LT, Clemson

3. Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State

3. Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU

4. Cole Van Lanen, OG/OT, Wisconsin 

5. Jacoby Stevens, SS/OLB, LSU

6. Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi St. 

7. BJ Foster, FS, Texas

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

An upgrade at FS is usually something you can’t get in FA... like we did last year then we made a head scratcher and cut the guy we signed all together and we don’t have a true back up at the position IMO unless you consider Everrett able to play there bc he’s a converted college corner - and I do - but he’s played more Strong than Free in the NFL. Curl was a college strong safety to my knowledge and they use him as a dime LB off of that ability he has.

TE too, we should sign Njoku.

WR, we should sign one and draft one TBH. Inman is ok but I’d want someone better as my #2 plus he’s getting old.
 

Sign Allen Robinson, David Njoku and Anthony Harris.

Draft a QB top 5, draft BPA the rest of the way:

1. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

2. Barron Browning, MLB, Ohio State

2. (from Atlanta for Haskins) Jackson Carman, LT, Clemson

3. Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State

3. Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU

4. Cole Van Lanen, OG/OT, Wisconsin 

5. Jacoby Stevens, SS/OLB, LSU

6. Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi St. 

7. BJ Foster, FS, Texas

Like Allen Robinson but would stay away from Fields.

Its Lawrence or we do like the Titans revive some one elses career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Like Allen Robinson but would stay away from Fields.

Its Lawrence or we do like the Titans revive some one elses career.

I’ve seen Fields almost outdual Lawrence in the CFBP game on basically one leg bc he had a sprained MCL. Lawrence was more RB than QB that game, Fields couldn’t run, had to be a pocket passer.

65%, 320 yds, 1 TD & 2 ints in CFBP vs Clemson last year - should’ve been 2 TDs instead of 2 ints, the WR Chris Olave quit his route on the last play of the game and that cost them the game as well as a bad targeting call & a fumble recovery - called on the field - that was overturned.

Lawrence vs Ohio State in CFBP:

56%, 259 yds, 2 TDs 

Lawrence vs. LSU in National Champ game:

49%, 234 yards 

Seems to me against tougher competition and tighter windows to throw into in the CFBP Justin Fields out performed Trevor Lawrence.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Seems to me against tougher competition and tighter windows to throw into in the CFBP Justin Fields out performed Trevor Lawrence.

So am I getting from this you'd prefer Fields over Lawrence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So am I getting from this you'd prefer Fields over Lawrence?

I don’t know man, I hadn’t really thought about it before, but when I think about that performance and anyone who watched that game - knowing Fields played on a sprained MCL - and watching Clemson run multiple QB draws, zone reads and pop passes or dump offs to their RB because they’re were afraid of Chase Young, then it does open your eyes a bit to the possibility.

It kind of puts me in the toss up category.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t know man, I hadn’t really thought about it before, but when I think about that performance and anyone who watched that game - knowing Fields played on a sprained MCL - and watching Clemson run multiple QB draws, zone reads and pop passes or dump offs to their RB then it does open your eyes a bit to the possibility.

It kind of puts me in the toss up category.

I honestly don't know if I can handle blowing 2 two first rounders in 3 years on QBs from Ohio State. It seems weird and dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I honestly don't know if I can handle blowing 2 two first rounders in 3 years on QBs from Ohio State. It seems weird and dirty.

You take the best prospect, doesn’t matter where they come from. If Lance ends up showing like Carson Wentz did at the combine, pro day and personal workouts/interviews you even take him over Lawrence. You have to keep yourself open to any possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...