2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I still see enough talent on this TEAM to get a little win streak, 2, 3 games before the end of the season and just totally mess up draft position -for you guys that think that's important . 

So you are saying the problem is coaching?  :)

This is the sad thing about the team. I know it's not happening, but say we ended up with the 1st overall pick in the draft. The QB from Clemson would turn us down and stay another year just so he wouldn't be on our team! How long have the Jets, Jaxs and WFT been considered loser teams? Who in their right frame of mind would want to play for them? Free Agents only sign cause of the money. Players drafted can't wait to leave these teams. When we have had a descent QB, Kirk Cousins wanted to run like hell out of here cause the way he was treated. Brad Johnson left after our owner pushed for George and he ended up winning a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. The problem isn't with the coaching or players selected. It's with a owner who can't seem to keep his hands off the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinscavalier said:

This is the sad thing about the team. I know it's not happening, but say we ended up with the 1st overall pick in the draft. The QB from Clemson would turn us down and stay another year just so he wouldn't be on our team! How long have the Jets, Jaxs and WFT been considered loser teams? Who in their right frame of mind would want to play for them? Free Agents only sign cause of the money. Players drafted can't wait to leave these teams. When we have had a descent QB, Kirk Cousins wanted to run like hell out of here cause the way he was treated. Brad Johnson left after our owner pushed for George and he ended up winning a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. The problem isn't with the coaching or players selected. It's with a owner who can't seem to keep his hands off the team.

This isn’t true. Rarely does a player ever say they won’t play somewhere and the last one being Eli. Rivera is very well respected and the coaching staff here is sorta solid. I think Kyle Smith is what’s going to turn things around if it happens but I do think it’s funny Rivera won’t name him GM. That’s why I’ve guessed this will be Smiths last year and we end up with the Panthers GM. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This isn’t true. Rarely does a player ever say they won’t play somewhere and the last one being Eli. Rivera is very well respected and the coaching staff here is sorta solid. I think Kyle Smith is what’s going to turn things around if it happens but I do think it’s funny Rivera won’t name him GM. That’s why I’ve guessed this will be Smiths last year and we end up with the Panthers GM. 

Yeah, it's happened twice in recent history? And who's to say Eli would have truly sat out?

Zach Wilson will throw a ball against his feet and body it’s pretty crazy how well his ball placement is from the angles of his feet I mean he constantly pulls his back foot up like a baseball player. This guys arm is pretty impressive. Man if you coach this guy up he has all the tools. But he needs coaching because while he gets away with certain things against their comp they will feast on some things in the NFL. He can get careless putting a ball up sometimes so really it’s how well you believe he can pick up a offense and they put him in a place to use his gifts because he can sling it with anyone.

Mega tough for a smaller frame guy but we’d have to address OL we couldn’t send him too the wolves without a line. So far it’s hard to put Wilson above Lance because what Lance can do with his size and legs. But Wilson places the ball better even with his crazy throwing angles his body and feet are in from either his motion or him resetting and firing it’s pretty impressive. I think if this guys mental makeup says he’s a professional to his craft this guys the stay after type like his toughness says then I think this guy can really boost a roster.

It’s so hard because he’s going to have to hold up and I see him run into defenders in college because he’s a gamer but in the NFL that’s for him might end him quick. So I do worry about him in that reguard similar to my RG not protecting himself issues. I’m not comparing him to RG he’s not close to that type of athlete. But he can move around well and he has legs for option plays. Overall I’d say someone will fall in love with this guy and take him. 

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, Skinscavalier said:

We actually have been average most of the last 3 decades since we last won the Super Bowl in 1991-92, we just haven’t had many above average seasons and only 2 good ones since 1991-92 (1999 & 2005).

The issue is we haven’t had enough good to great players to make us a great team ever. 

Dan Snyder was a problem from 2000-2003 and again after. A lot of people blamed Bruce Allen for stuff but as I was told by someone who didn’t like one of my bosses the same way I didn’t, don’t think for one second that his boss doesn’t approve of what’s he’s doing or having you do, so just imagine it’s coming from the big boss and just do it even if you don’t agree with it.

So, essentially what I’m saying is that it’s true Dan didn’t want Gregg Williams so, we didn’t hire him in 08 and Dan allowed Cerrato to hire Zorn which was an awful mistake, if we weren’t going to give the job to Gregg we should’ve hired Jim Fassell but the fans backlashed and Dan/Vinny didn’t sign him. 

Fassell probably would’ve kept us at a Gibbs type level of winning until our guys got old and retired or were forced to like Samuels but if we had won 6 or 7 games in 2009 then we wouldn’t have gotten TWill  Okung or Berry in the 2010 draft.

My guess is Shanahan probably would’ve drafted Anthony Davis in the 2nd half of the top 10 who the 49ers needed of drafting at 11. We also could’ve taken Joe Haden or Earl Thomas in that area too.

Then of course Shanahan screwed up w/ RG3 and that soured Dan & Mike’s  relationship and he was gone after the 2013 season. So, I think most of this past decade while Dan wasn’t “demanding things like he was in the 2000s” Bruce wasn’t doing anything that Dan didn’t approve of. The only times that things were a little different was when Mike Shanahan was here and McCloughan in 2015 & 16.

It remains to be seen if Ron is going to be allowed to have the autonomy that Gibbs had. I think he will, but it remains to be seen.

As far as Trent Green, Brad Johnson and Kirk Cousins go, it’s not that they wouldn’t have stayed here, it’s that Dan didn’t want to keep them. In every case, that was the issue. Trent was a FA when the team was up for sale after Jack Kent Cooke died in 1998 so, Charley Casserly has said he didn’t have the approval to match the Rams offer for Trent Green or to franchise him bc of the owner situation w/ money. So instead he traded 3 draft picks for Brad Johnson. Snyder didn’t like that Brad Johnson didn’t have a big arm and didn’t throw it deep enough so he and Turner were at odds over BJ. That’s why Snyder had Vinny sign Jeff George bc of his bug arm but that’s all George had, he was an awful teammate and leader for the team. So, Dan told Vinny not to re-sign Brad Johnson. I think if BJ had been with Marty in 2001 w/ that D and running game that we may have made the playoffs, we Def wouldn’t have started off 0-5. And if we finished 8-3 like we did anyway and we’re 2-3 or 3-2 the first 5 then, we win 10 or 11 games in Marty’s first year and maybe Dan doesn’t fire him after one year.

Dan loved RG3, he never wanted Kirk. Kirk knew that but if Kirk had gotten the Minny deal from Washington in 2016, 17 or 18, I bet he re-signs with us and wouldn’t have left but again, Dan didn’t want Kirk more than the other way around. Heck, even McCloughan was talking about not being sold on Kirk after the 2015 season and considering trading him for a high draft pick rather than paying him a $20 million a year contract.

Edited by turtle28

On 11/17/2020 at 4:59 AM, turtle28 said:

The point is, you’re already doing it. You write the blog in here basically. Just cut and paste, add a few pictures, maybe a video and post it. I’d read it. Most of us in here would and we’d share it on social media. It doesn’t have to be super involved.

I am barely on around here anymore. Posting something because it interests me is one thing. Sticking to a schedule to get new content out regularly when I have a full time job and don't see the wife and kids enough as it is is a whole another thing.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not sure I'd trust Allen over Smith right now.

I certainly wouldn't. 

Smith may be a has been QB, but Allen is looking like a never was.

Problem is that Allen has the coach's favor so I think that Smith, Allen, plus mid-round rookie feels like the safer bet. Even if Allen is out for awhile due to the ankle.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, e16bball said:

Damn, that really could turn Thanksgiving into the Sewell Bowl for us. 

...everyone else will be calling it the Sewer Bowl, but we know the real name. 

If Jacksonville actually completes one of the upsets, it could be for a whole lot more.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, RSkinGM said:

I still see enough talent on this TEAM to get a little win streak, 2, 3 games before the end of the season and just totally mess up draft position -for you guys that think that's important . 

And I agree that they might go on a little run, but that says more about the quality of their opponents down the stretch than the talent on the team.