2021 NFL Draft Thread

On 11/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, Skinscavalier said:

This is the sad thing about the team. I know it's not happening, but say we ended up with the 1st overall pick in the draft. The QB from Clemson would turn us down and stay another year just so he wouldn't be on our team!

Possibly.

However, should Trevor Lawrence get through a COVID-wracked college season injury free, does it make sense for him to risk millions of dollars not just from his contract but also for endorsements and commercials just to dodge one team?

Yes, he could pull an Eli and force a trade, but given that has happened only twice in the draft's history (that I know of ... other time was Elway in 1983), is that likely?

I mean, if Lawrence was going to stay in school, wouldn't he be more likely to do it to avoid the Jets?

How long have the Jets, Jaxs and WFT been considered loser teams?

Well, the Jets and WFT have been bad for a long while, but the Jags were in the AFC Championship Game 4-5 years ago? The AFC South, while better than it was, is still a somewhat weak division.

The problem isn't with the coaching or players selected. It's with a owner who can't seem to keep his hands off the team.

This, unfortunately. This this this.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, turtle28 said:

if we weren’t going to give the job to Gregg we should’ve hired Jim Fassell but the fans backlashed and Dan/Vinny didn’t sign him. 

Fassell probably would’ve kept us at a Gibbs type level of winning until our guys got old and retired or were forced to like Samuels but if we had won 6 or 7 games in 2009 then we wouldn’t have gotten TWill  Okung or Berry in the 2010 draft.

I am not going to spend a second arguing that hiring Zorn was anything other than an unmitigated disaster. However, Jim Fassel would have only been two steps better.

The only coaching job Fassel got after being canned by the Ravens was with the Las Vegas Locomotive in the UFL. No one wanted him. Hiring him would have been a mistake as well. Maybe not the same degree as Zorn, but it would not have gone as well as you propose.

Made the mistake of watching some Rondale Moore this afternoon. 

In a world where I didn’t know life could exist anymore after missing out on all the WRs I loved last year (Jeudy, Jefferson, Pittman, Shenault, in addition to the others that everyone loved), DeVonta Smith and Rondale Moore have shown me that I can in fact love again.

Seriously, he’s everything I love in a modern WR. Clever releases, loose quick hips, sharp COD, enough pure speed to scare you, and a nightmare after the catch. He had the injury last season, and something weird is going on with his status this year — but if he’s there in the 2nd, I’m squealing wheels on my way to the podium to take him. He and McLaurin and Gibson would be silly on the same field. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

i saw a report that quoted rivera saying "if chase would of gone one we would have picked burrow at 2" to me that signifies that we will indeed be getting a QB in the draft. 

saw an interesting mock on fansided that had us taking J'Marr Chase at 7 and trading our 2nd, 4th and next years 4th to Buffalo to take Zack Wilson at 28.

I would be pumped for that! as long as we could get a LT and TE in FA like a stop gap LT like villanueva and TE like Everette

however i think wilson goes before 28

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

i saw a report that quoted rivera saying "if chase would of gone one we would have picked burrow at 2" to me that signifies that we will indeed be getting a QB in the draft. 

saw an interesting mock on fansided that had us taking J'Marr Chase at 7 and trading our 2nd, 4th and next years 4th to Buffalo to take Zack Wilson at 28.

I would be pumped for that! as long as we could get a LT and TE in FA like a stop gap LT like villanueva and TE like Everette

however i think wilson goes before 28

Came here to post this. We’re taking a QB. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 11:23 PM, Woz said:

Possibly.

However, should Trevor Lawrence get through a COVID-wracked college season injury free, does it make sense for him to risk millions of dollars not just from his contract but also for endorsements and commercials just to dodge one team?

Yes, he could pull an Eli and force a trade, but given that has happened only twice in the draft's history (that I know of ... other time was Elway in 1983), is that likely?

I mean, if Lawrence was going to stay in school, wouldn't he be more likely to do it to avoid the Jets?

Well, the Jets and WFT have been bad for a long while, but the Jags were in the AFC Championship Game 4-5 years ago? The AFC South, while better than it was, is still a somewhat weak division.

This, unfortunately. This this this.

The Jets were either in the AFC Championship game or just missed going to it I think in 2009 when they had Rex Ryan & Sanchize was their QB.

We almost made the NFC Championship game in 1999, just a bad snap away and we did win a playoff game in 2005-06 too.

The Jags were good under Coughlin & DelRio and like you said they nearly made the Super Bowl 5 years ago bc their D was elite and Fournette had a great rookie year.

The Jags have actually had a lot of success as a franchise - same with the Panthers - since they both joined the league in the 90s.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Came here to post this. We’re taking a QB. 

Yeah, I’m almost 💯 we’ll take a QB, whether that’s Fields if we end up at 2 or whether it’s someone else as we trade down. I wouldn’t take any of the other QBs in the top 5.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

In a world where I didn’t know life could exist anymore after missing out on all the WRs I loved last year (Jeudy, Jefferson, Pittman, Shenault, in addition to the others that everyone loved), DeVonta Smith and Rondale Moore have shown me that I can in fact love again.

Seriously, he’s everything I love in a modern WR. Clever releases, loose quick hips, sharp COD, enough pure speed to scare you, and a nightmare after the catch. He had the injury last season, and something weird is going on with his status this year — but if he’s there in the 2nd, I’m squealing wheels on my way to the podium to take him. He and McLaurin and Gibson would be silly on the same field. 

That’s the guy from Purdue right? He’s awesome! Totally killed Ohio States secondary two years ago when Haskins had his worse and most inaccurate game in college and lose at Purdue in 2018 which derailed their chances of making the 2018 CFBP.

19 hours ago, Woz said:

I am not going to spend a second arguing that hiring Zorn was anything other than an unmitigated disaster. However, Jim Fassel would have only been two steps better.

The only coaching job Fassel got after being canned by the Ravens was with the Las Vegas Locomotive in the UFL. No one wanted him. Hiring him would have been a mistake as well. Maybe not the same degree as Zorn, but it would not have gone as well as you propose.

Fassel was an avg HC, I think he would’ve been in the Gruden range - which was essentially what Gibbs 2.0 was. And, at least Fassel got to the Super Bowl in 2000. They went 12-4 that year, yeah who wants that?

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I really like David Bell who plays with Rondale Moore at Purdue. Too bad Bell is only a sophomore, he would be getting some attention. Watching him against Minnesota and looking really good. Reminds me of Allen Robinson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I really like David Bell who plays with Rondale Moore at Purdue. Too bad Bell is only a sophomore, he would be getting some attention. Watching him against Minnesota and looking really good. Reminds me of Allen Robinson. 

He’s put up huge numbers with Moore out with the hamstring deal or whatever’s going on there. I haven’t really watched him play much yet, but the numbers are extremely impressive, dating back to the middle of last season. Size looks reminiscent of Robinson, I’ll have to check him out. 

Can’t imagine how scary they’d be if/when they got both of those guys on the field at once. This hammy thing is definitely a little concerning with Moore, just insofar as it continues to linger on and on and on...

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s the guy from Purdue right? He’s awesome! Totally killed Ohio States secondary two years ago when Haskins had his worse and most inaccurate game in college and lose at Purdue in 2018 which derailed their chances of making the 2018 CFBP.

That’s the one. That was actually one of the games I watched this afternoon. They talk about being electric, that dude is a live wire! 

As I said to Art above, the hamstring issue is starting to become a concern. But it also might be a positive, because it gives him a shot to drop to us. I don’t think Jaylen Waddle will make it to the 2nd regardless of his injury, but he’s another one of those guys that might have a chance to slip because of size/injury concerns. 

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

That’s the one. That was actually one of the games I watched this afternoon. They talk about being electric, that dude is a live wire! 

As I said to Art above, the hamstring issue is starting to become a concern. But it also might be a positive, because it gives him a shot to drop to us. I don’t think Jaylen Waddle will make it to the 2nd regardless of his injury, but he’s another one of those guys that might have a chance to slip because of size/injury concerns. 

I’d love to get Olave if we don’t go WR in round 1.  Not sure if Olave will fall that far but he’s an elite route runner and has great hands. He’s not the top speedster/athlete guys like Chase, DeVonta Smith and Waddle are but everything Olave does on the field is precise. He’d be the perfect WR to go opposite Terry.

Edited by turtle28

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

If he’s there in the second I’m with you!!! We need firepower and as you said those 3 give you the weapons. I’m a huge fan of his game I’m high on Smith as well. I was more of a Waddle guy between them but Smith has it all

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I know this logic is so painfully circular, and I really apologize for that, but I also really believe it’s true: If he falls to 28, I don’t really want him. 

I know, it’s such an obnoxiously annoying thing to say, because it’s completely lacking any actual analysis of the player and is basing the opinion entirely on the circumstances. I should be watching and evaluating for myself and making my own determination of his future value  — and in truth, on that basis, I like the kid a lot. 

But the reality is, nothing is more important than having a young QB. Nothing else is even close, in all of American sports for that matter, let alone in just the NFL. Some teams aren’t in the market for one, but I’d say probably at least a third to half of the league’s teams are somewhere between “desperately need” and “could probably use” a young potential franchise QB — whether they don’t have any QB at all, have a mediocre QB, or need a long-term heir to the throne of an aging hero. 

And if he makes it to 28, that means that not one of those teams loved him enough to consider him their Guy™️. They had the chance to take him and make him their future — and instead they opted for another guy at a vastly less important position. It doesn’t mean he can’t end up being a star, but it’s a pretty concerning piece of data that all these teams who so badly need a future QB looked at him and said “ehhh...thanks but no thanks, we’ll pass and wait for someone we like better.” That’s a lot of smart people who apparently see marginal talent or some sort of fatal flaw.

Like I said, it’s not impossible that the whole league will overlook a star QB. Russell Wilson is a bona fide superstar. Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson look like stars (don’t @ me, you can’t have watched Lamar this season and declare him a superstar), and guys like Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, and maybe Teddy Bridgewater and Nick Foles have been good starters in the league. But for the most part, in this day and age, guys just aren’t falling past the top half of the 1st round and becoming excellent starters. 

So if Zach Wilson falls that far, I’m concerned. Because apparently everyone else is concerned. Now in a practical/real sense, I’m with you, I don’t think he falls to 28. I think someone will grab him in the top 20ish. But if this situation did play out like that, I’d be real hesitant to trade up for the QB no one else apparently wants. 

Edited by e16bball