2021 NFL Draft Thread

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Welp we won and still lost no ground in draft position. Pretty nice day. 

Except they lost draft position? Cincinnati now picks before Washington. And because Atlanta lost, Dallas moved ahead of Washington due to SOS (it was a neutral day SOS-wise for Washington since the two SOS teams played each other and Carolina defeated Detroit). Due to that, they fell from 3rd to 5th.

Edited by Woz

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

Except they lost draft position? Cincinnati now picks before Washington. And because Atlanta lost, Dallas moved ahead of Washington due to SOS (it was a neutral day SOS-wise for Washington since the two SOS teams played each other and Carolina defeated Detroit). Due to that, they fell from 3rd to 5th.

We were never picking 3rd. Dallas was ahead of us last week as well. We went from 4th to 5th and we’ll drop back to 4 when we lose Thursday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m gonna say that I’ve really done a lot of notes and I am hopping of the Penn ST TE wagon. I think he’s not explosive enough to not warrant a high round selection I think he struggles to get open. I think he’s essentially what we currently have. Can block alittle but I don’t think he will be a guy getting more then 3 to 5 TD’s. I just don’t see anything in his game that says he’s getting open in the NFL. He balls against the lesser defenses in my past notes but when I watched their biggest games last year he was invisible. This year he didn’t convince me otherwise. 

I think that’s more than what we have unless you’re combining Logan Thomas & Sprinkle as one person. Thomas can’t block and Sprinkle can’t catch.

I don’t think Pat F is a first round prospect anymore, more around where Cole Kemet got picked but if he falls to the 3rd we’d be foolish to pass on him there if we hadn’t already drafted a TE earlier.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If we suck this whole season and the ultimate outcome is we get a TE in the first round I’ll be extremely disappointed. 

Even if he ends up being All-Pro? He looks like a huge red zone threat that’ll get 10 plus TDs every year. That will immensely help our passing game and scoring. He’s like Darren Waller!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Even if he ends up being All-Pro?

No. Picking a TE in the first rarely ever works out. Look at all the best TEs in the league and tell me which one was picked in the first 20 picks of the draft? You can find good to great TEs all throughout the draft. If we can’t get Wilson, Sewell or Lance (Lawrence and Fields are out of the equation) then I want Parsons or Chase but realistically at that point I’d like to trade down if possible and pick up an extra second. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No. Picking a TE in the first rarely ever works out. Look at all the best TEs in the league and tell me which one was picked in the first 20 picks of the draft? You can find good to great TEs all throughout the draft. If we can’t get Wilson, Sewell or Lance (Lawrence and Fields are out of the equation) then I want Parsons or Chase but realistically at that point I’d like to trade down if possible and pick up an extra second. 

That seems like a weird reason to not take the best TE prospect in the draft if for some reason those other guys are all gone when we pick, that’s all I’m saying. You take the best player you can and continue to build. I’m not saying take Pitts over

Sewell

Wilson

Chase

Devonta Smith

or Parsons

I'm just saying he’s right there with them as far as talent, if they’re gone I’d consider him.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That seems like a weird reason to not take the best TE prospect in the draft if for some reason those other guys are all gone when we pick, that’s all I’m saying. You take the best player you can and continue to build. I’m not saying take Pitts over

Sewell

Wilson

Chase

Devonta Smith

or Parsons

I'm just saying he’s right there with them as far as talent, if they’re gone I’d consider him.

It’s not weird. It’s just how I feel about the TE position. I would be extremely disappointed if this bad season resulted in a TE picked in the first. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I am not on the 1st round TE bandwagon

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If we suck this whole season and the ultimate outcome is we get a TE in the first round I’ll be extremely disappointed. 

I mean...almost literally the only common ground between the two teams that played in the Super Bowl last season was that they have the two best TEs in football, head and shoulders above all the rest. 

New England did all its winning this decade with the best TE in recent memory. Philly won their only ring with Ertz as their top receiver. Carolina rode a dominant season from Olsen to 15-1, the #1 scoring offense, and a Super Bowl appearance.

An elite receiving TE unlocks so much for a QB. No defense has guys who can really match up with a big TE with speed and savvy, and a guy who can stretch the seams opens up so much on the outside for everyone else by keeping the safeties at home. It’s a position where the value is kinda top heavy — the elite guys are tremendously valuable, but the rest are kind of easily interchangeable.

The one big concern I have about taking a TE in the first is that the most highly touted guys coming out of college have generally not turned out to be particularly successful in the league. And it’s typically a pretty slow developing position, because it requires a little more cerebral play than many positions — and it depends on developing a rapport with the QB. But for me, when we’re talking about how best to complement McLaurin, Pitts is third on my list behind Chase and Smith. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think that’s more than what we have unless you’re combining Logan Thomas & Sprinkle as one person. Thomas can’t block and Sprinkle can’t catch.

I don’t think Pat F is a first round prospect anymore, more around where Cole Kemet got picked but if he falls to the 3rd we’d be foolish to pass on him there if we hadn’t already drafted a TE earlier.

Exactly I’m not on him I don’t like his fit here. I think we need a weapon. I’m really on the Brevin Jordan train. No he’s not a inline blocker but I think he’s the guy who’s going to make noise in the league.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Even if he ends up being All-Pro? He looks like a huge red zone threat that’ll get 10 plus TDs every year. That will immensely help our passing game and scoring. He’s like Darren Waller!

I was about to say this guy is a rare TE prospect that if you have a chance at especially with this roster you can run that selection in. That guy could really really make grooming a young QB down the road along with Terry’s odds of peaking going way up. You run that selection in if your top OL or QB aren’t avalible and a trancendent LB or CB isn’t avalible

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I mean...almost literally the only common ground between the two teams that played in the Super Bowl last season was that they have the two best TEs in football, head and shoulders above all the rest. 

New England did all its winning this decade with the best TE in recent memory. Philly won their only ring with Ertz as their top receiver. Carolina rode a dominant season from Olsen to 15-1, the #1 scoring offense, and a Super Bowl appearance.

An elite receiving TE unlocks so much for a QB. No defense has guys who can really match up with a big TE with speed and savvy, and a guy who can stretch the seams opens up so much on the outside for everyone else by keeping the safeties at home. It’s a position where the value is kinda top heavy — the elite guys are tremendously valuable, but the rest are kind of easily interchangeable.

The one big concern I have about taking a TE in the first is that the most highly touted guys coming out of college have generally not turned out to be particularly successful in the league. And it’s typically a pretty slow developing position, because it requires a little more cerebral play than many positions — and it depends on developing a rapport with the QB. But for me, when we’re talking about how best to complement McLaurin, Pitts is third on my list behind Chase and Smith. 

Been preaching the importance of this position for a long time because typically they also impact the teams run game especially the screen game because teams are focused on the TE on those downs and we have pass catching backs I think the TE position for this scene especially is important!!!

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yes... but also one had an incredible defense and the other had the best player in the NFL. There is that part of it.

Yes... but you're leaving out a lot again. I get your point, and it does add to your reasoning, but it's truly not even the top factor for any of these teams imo. Just a big component.

Agreed.

You made my point for me, so thank you :).

E, I get where you are coming from. I would love to take a TE early and get a good one. We desperately need one. Just not a Top 10 pick one.