2021 NFL Draft Thread

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh please! Lamar Jackson? Come on dude! Fields is way ahead of Lamar as a passer.  Lamar has a strong arm yes, but w/o the zone read he does nothing as a passer. That is shown time and time again when teams shut down the Ravens run game Lamar can’t complete enough balls to win a game for them.

RGIII - same game.

16 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

RGIII - same game.

Yeah, similar. RG3 had better passing form than Lamar and RG3 was more a straight line runner where Lamar is like Vick but as far as both of them needing the zone read to be successful passers, that’s 100% true and that hasn’t been true of Justin Fields in his first two years as a starter.

He made a few mistakes and his OL/RBs were awful in blitz pick up in one game and to me it seems like people are more looking forward to pouncing on him then realizing that so far in his time as a starter those two quarters - particularly the 2nd quarter - are outliers.

I can’t remember but I think one of his interceptions was on a pass that went off the receivers hands that he should’ve caught. So, can’t really put that one on Fields.

One thing I would say of Fields and I said it on Saturday is that he should be recognizing the blitz sooner and either getting rid of it, extending the play to throw downfield or taking off sooner to pick up yards which he started to do in the 3rd quarter. I wish he had done that earlier in the game.

Edited by turtle28

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What trajectory? One game where Fields made a few mistakes while being under a lot of pressure from the first drive on in the game bc of how poorly Ohio State’s OL & RBs recognized and picked up blitzes vs a very good Indiana defense that’s better than any defense Zach Wilson has ever faced?

Things need to be put in perspective.

Now, if those issues Fields had in the Indian game become a problem the rest of the year then I could possibly see Wilson going higher than him but not off of a just 2 bad quarters in a season where up until last Saturday Fields had more TDs than incompletions.

It's more about how unbelievable Zach Wilson has played. So yes, if that trajectory continues. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I guess Trevor Lawrence isn’t worthy of going #1 either bc he played like trash last CFBP as a passer and that was 2 games, not just 2 bad quarters.

No I think Trevor has what it takes. I don’t think Fields does and I know me saying that isn’t a popular opinion it’s just how I feel going off what I’ve seen from guys who I actually feel have a better skill set arm wise with similar ability. I knew you’d quote me on this I hate hes your boy because I know you like him. I’m a mobile QB guy and I’ve just been burnt one too many times watching teams build around this guy. And in this breadown you could say everything I’m saying about Fields about Lance who I love. Trust me I get it’s just a feeling and a preference. I will always respect your opinion and I promise one way or the other I’ll eat my words and give you the props if I’m wrong bud because I hope for the game he balls out in the NFL. 

Edited by ripsean21

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

No I think Trevor has what it takes. I don’t think Fields does and I know me saying that isn’t a popular opinion it’s just how I feel going off what I’ve seen from guys who I actually feel have a better skill set arm wise with similar ability. I knew you’d quote me on this I hate hes your boy because I know you like him

What about their head to head match up last year when Fields clearly played better?

Lawrence played like dog ish as a passer in the CFBP game vs OSU & in the National Championship game vs LSU.

No one really even mentions that at all. He’s had bad games. Way worse games than Fields has ever had in those two.

Fields didn’t even have an entire bad game, it was more like two bad quarters.

Most people would love for Fields’s worst game of his career, still threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs, he just had a few bad ints. His mistakes can be improved upon.

Ohio St. has a LONG HISTORY for not producing good QBs!  This does not give me hope if we have a chance to pick Fields, should we? What makes Fields anything different than what history has shown. They do well in College but it doesn’t translate well to the NFL. 
If the Front Office is going to pick a QB this next draft, put me down for Zach Wilson! After that Getting the best LT, and then LB and S. WR with speed would help McLaurin out a lot. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

56 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What about their head to head match up last year when Fields clearly played better?

Lawrence played like dog ish as a passer in the CFBP game vs OSU & in the National Championship game vs LSU.

No one really even mentions that at all. He’s had bad games. Way worse games than Fields has ever had in those two.

Fields didn’t even have an entire bad game, it was more like two bad quarters.

Most people would love for Fields’s worst game of his career, still threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs, he just had a few bad ints. His mistakes can be improved upon.

The funny thing is Lawrence is the other guy in that post I’m not as high on as most. But it’s not any of the things you mentioned. It’s that I think he’s peaked. I don’t actually think he’s Joe Burrow or Andrew Luck. So when I say I’m not high on him I almost started drinking the cool aid but I really noticed something in his freshman and sophomore notes that Ive continued too see and I just don’t know how much better he’s getting similar to Watson I see very little development from him. I’d actually prefer us not to draft either of the top 2 QB’s if we had the top pick. It would be Sewell or trade if we had to do it today and I had the top pick

to Fields it’s simply a feel and trusting my notes and eyes and personally it’s the gut feeling I have had that doesn’t go away watching him. He has wowed me trust me when I’m critical on these guys it’s because I’m breaking them down for me. I think he’s a super competitor!!!! If I eat every knock I would totally not be shocked because the guys tough as nails. He just doesn’t have that IT for me and to be fair not many guys I watch at that spot do

Edited by ripsean21

3 hours ago, Troublez said:

This... Justin Fields is a joke. Hard pass for me. Last weeks game just showcased what his critics have been saying for two years now. Dude couldn't even beat out Fromm. GTFO here....

I tend to agree although my take is more that Fields is a project.  He is an unknown at this point because he is rarely put in a position where he is under pressure.  Does that mean he can't be great?  No, he can still be great, but he isn't a sure thing and needs to be developed.  The bottom line is the idea of taking him top 5 is very risky.  Now Fields at 15, I would think about that.  

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ohio St. has a LONG HISTORY for not producing good QBs!  This does not give me hope if we have a chance to pick Fields, should we? What makes Fields anything different than what history has shown. They do well in College but it doesn’t translate well to the NFL. 
If the Front Office is going to pick a QB this next draft, put me down for Zach Wilson! After that Getting the best LT, and then LB and S. WR with speed would help McLaurin out a lot. 

Who did Texas Tech get to the NFL prior to Mahomes? Wisconsin prior to Russell Wilson? Clemson prior to Deshaun Watson? CAL prior to Rodgers? I could go on, and on, and on. It's not like universities are known for developing legit QB prospects.

You scout the player, not the helmet. 

I check in here every few days because it's mainly between us and you guys as far as QBs go in the top 5-10 most likely (with some others to a lesser extent as possibilities). So I like to see other perspectives on the class, and I gotta say, the hate for Fields surprises me. He's got his issues that he needs to iron out like every QB prospect has, but all the tools and football IQ/intangibles are easy to see.

Haskins has little to no mobility (certainly not going to make a defense respect it), is not close to the track record of Fields, nor the football IQ/intangibles (I've read some alarming things about how he goes about himself) of Fields. I guess I get you guys being a tad gun-shy but I still find it pretty wild. 

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Who did Texas Tech get to the NFL prior to Mahomes? Wisconsin prior to Russell Wilson? Clemson prior to Deshaun Watson? CAL prior to Rodgers? I could go on, and on, and on. It's not like universities are known for developing legit QB prospects every few years.

You scout the player, not the helmet. 

I check in here every few days because it's mainly between us and you guys as far as QBs go in the top 5-10 most likely (with some others to a lesser extent as possibilities). So I like to see other perspectives on the class, and I gotta say, the hate for Fields surprises me. He's got his issues that he needs to iron out like every QB prospect has, but all the tools and football IQ/intangibles are easy to see.

Haskins has little to no mobility (certainly not going to make a defense respect it), is not close to the track record of Fields, nor the football IQ/intangibles (I've read some alarming things about how he goes about himself) of Fields. I guess I get you guys being a tad gun-shy but I still find it pretty wild. 

You can go on and on about how much knowledge you have on how to scout players back to your Jaguar faithful. Not interested in your opinion. You might find that PRETTY WILD!

9 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You can go on and on about how much knowledge you have on how to scout players back to your Jaguar faithful. Not interested in your opinion. You might find that PRETTY WILD!

I never said you had to like Fields. Your argument against him is literally the fact he plays for a certain school. So yes, I'm going to call you (and whoever uses that argument) out on it, because it's completely illogical. Especially when most every QB in the NFL came from a school that isn't "known" for producing NFL QBs.

BYU's last QB drafted? Taysom Hill. Better cross Zach Wilson off the list unless we want to go back 30-40 years for a good QB coming from the school which has zero impact on what the program is doing now.

Edit: Also, I have zero idea what team I'm a fan of has to do with this discussion.

25 minutes ago, TKellion said:

Kyle Trask will be the only one you can get at 15 the others will be gone

Id rather sit and wait on a good spot for Mond than him. His only real issue is being inconsistent. Upping from the 20hours a week the NCAA allows has a chance of doing the same for him that it did Dak.

21 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Id rather sit and wait on a good spot for Mond than him. His only real issue is being inconsistent. Upping from the 20hours a week the NCAA allows has a chance of doing the same for him that it did Dak.

Kellen Mond? That Mond? Seriously? I’ve seen him play a handful of times and he sucked. I need to check out what he’s doing this year because I saw a mock that had him in the first and was blown away. He really must’ve progressed in his game.