2021 NFL Draft Thread

7 hours ago, Troublez said:

This... Justin Fields is a joke. Hard pass for me. Last weeks game just showcased what his critics have been saying for two years now. Dude couldn't even beat out Fromm. GTFO here....

Calling Fields a joke is just outrageous and silly. He accounted for 51 TDs last year and threw 3 interceptions. THREE. And that was on 300+ passing attempts while completing nearly 70% of his passes. In 4 games he’s accounted for 16 TDs and he’s completing 80% of his passes. Coming into his last game he had more TD passes than incompletions. And giving him crap because he couldn’t beat out a young QB who took his team to the brink of a national championship is ridiculous. He’s not some scrub Ryan Day has turned into a great player. He was the top recruit in the nation and has backed that up with his tremendous play. Will he be a star at the next level? I don’t know but saying he’s a joke is crazy. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Kellen Mond? That Mond? Seriously? I’ve seen him play a handful of times and he sucked. I need to check out what he’s doing this year because I saw a mock that had him in the first and was blown away. He really must’ve progressed in his game. 

Its game to game for him. He can look like a top 10 pick. Or he can look like he should go undrafted. Dak was kinda the same mold coming out.

Mond can look terrific against Bama one week. Look like a deer in the headlights against Auburn the next. I think doubling the amount in the film room and field practices can help sort right much of that out for him. Now if he can be a quality starter, no clue. But with our need. I wouldnt shy away from using a pick on him to see what might be there if developed under a NFL staff.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Kellen Mond? That Mond? Seriously? I’ve seen him play a handful of times and he sucked. I need to check out what he’s doing this year because I saw a mock that had him in the first and was blown away. He really must’ve progressed in his game. 

Its game to game for him. He can look like a top 10 pick. Or he can look like he should go undrafted. Dak was kinda the same mold coming out.

Mond can look terrific against Bama one week. Look like a deer in the headlights against Auburn the next. I think doubling the amount in the film room and field practices can help sort right much of that out for him. Now if he can be a quality starter, no clue. But with our need. I wouldnt shy away from using a pick on him to see what might be there if developed under a NFL staff.

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Calling Fields a joke is just outrageous and silly. He accounted for 51 TDs last year and threw 3 interceptions. THREE. And that was on 300+ passing attempts while completing nearly 70% of his passes. In 4 games he’s accounted for 16 TDs and he’s completing 80% of his passes. Coming into his last game he had more TD passes than incompletions. And giving him crap because he couldn’t beat out a young QB who took his team to the brink of a national championship is ridiculous. He’s not some scrub Ryan Day has turned into a great player. He was the top recruit in the nation and has backed that up with his tremendous play. Will he be a star at the next level? I don’t know but saying he’s a joke is crazy. 

Stick Mond at OSU. Having 5* line, 5* receivers. Facing 2*-3* defenses. I cant say his stats wouldnt be much the same. When Mond is facing LSU Bama Georgia Auburn Florida and all. The DBs have talent and star power over top his wideouts.

Thats not a knock on Fields or his talent level. Cause I think hes destined to be a decent pro. Its a knock at to get those stats. Hes had it easier than any qb in the country.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Did u watch him last Saturday? The struggles were on full display. I don't want anything to do with him.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Such as? Break down what happened. If you watched the game you could see all the unblocked blitzers coming out him bc the OL & RBs didn’t pick them up. He had 2 bad quarters & before that he had more TDs than incompletions.

I don’t think you all are seeing what actually happened in the game. 

I saw the game. He looked terrible .... and when he was under pressure even worse. I didn't see any progressions or pre snap reads. 

Anytime this kid sees a defense with such similar talent - he is terrible. Didn't he throw 2 picks against Clemson last year? Very hard pass for me.... I would take a handful of guys before him. 

11 hours ago, Troublez said:

Did u watch him last Saturday? The struggles were on full display. I don't want anything to do with him.....

So one game invalidates the rest of the work he’s done? If that’s the case then the Jets shouldn’t touch Lawrence after that national championship performance against LSU. It’s just a silly reason not to pick someone. 

• Like 1

Kyle Trask is the QB I want. And that’s saying a lot coming from an FSU fan. But I also wouldn’t mind not taking a QB in the first this year and getting an offensive lineman or receiver instead, or Kyle Pitts.

Edited by Umbaugh21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

How do you guys think he handled the post game interview  

Umm. I think he did uhh pretty well. Uhh you could tell umm. That the way he played uhh, bothered him. And he um wants to keep growing. Plus he uhh, really knows how to take ownership when umm under performing. He just needs to uhhh get better at umm not making "Uh" and "Um" noises.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 8:31 PM, lavar703 said:

We were never picking 3rd. Dallas was ahead of us last week as well. We went from 4th to 5th and we’ll drop back to 4 when we lose Thursday. 

No, they weren't. Washington had 0.001 worse SOS than Dallas, and thus they would have picked before the Cowboys.

19 hours ago, Troublez said:

You didn’t watch the game obviously. The OL & RBs were allowing free blitzers like crazy after the first drive straight up the A game right in his face. He finally started running out of in the second half and Ryan Day adjusted to a shorter passing game instead of the down the field stuff they were running early on, that helped the passing offense as well as they started running the ball more in the second half.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So one game invalidates the rest of the work he’s done? If that’s the case then the Jets shouldn’t touch Lawrence after that national championship performance against LSU. It’s just a silly reason not to pick someone. 

Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

4 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

How do you guys think he handled the post game interview  

He was obviously not happy with his performance but he certainly should act more professional. We’ve seen pro QBs act the same way though that were years older than him after they didn’t play well and Fields/OSU still won the game! That says something! He’s that disappointed in his play but they still won! Unlike Haskins who was bragging about his “stats” and Washington lost the game.

19 hours ago, Troublez said:

I saw the game. He looked terrible .... and when he was under pressure even worse. I didn't see any progressions or pre snap reads. 

Anytime this kid sees a defense with such similar talent - he is terrible. Didn't he throw 2 picks against Clemson last year? Very hard pass for me.... I would take a handful of guys before him. 

You might want to rewatch the CFBP game from last year. First of all Fields was playing with a sprained MCL. The first INT was a tremendous play by Isaiah Simmons where he came from the middle of the field and got all the way over to the sidelines and grabbed an int.

The second int was the last play of the game and they ran a play they had scored a TD on earlier in the game. Chris Olave the WR was supposed to come across the field infront of the FS but he saw Fields get pressure and thought he was going to scramble and Olave broke off his route and tried to go back the other direction, Fields threw it to where Olave was supposed to be before Olave broke his route off and the FS picked it off.

I’ll also say I’ve noticed something with OSU’s passing game that I don’t like. Their RBs aren’t used often as outlets for when there is a blitz or to pull the LBs up, they also don’t use their TEs a lot on the short to intermediate range and that means their QBs often have to hold onto the ball to long while waiting on long developing routes to break open.

Thats not the QBs fault. After the first few drives and all the pressure Fields was getting because they were running all intermediate to deep routes and Indiana was blitzing and delay blitzing, Day finally started to run a quicker passing game and it was effective.

They need to do that more. So, I think it’s an assumption that it’s all Fields that was the problem with the passing game vs Indiana but it’s more complicated than that. Fields had the worst game I’ve seen him play, but he still had 300 yards and 2 TDs despite a few drops but also the blocking was atrocious infront of him - allowing free runners, not picking up blitzers, missing blocks - and also there were not short to intermediate outlets for Fields to go too. Too many routes downfield. 

I hope Ryan Day learned something.

Edited by turtle28