2021 NFL Draft Thread

41 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Speaking of.........when does the tide start to turn against Coach O?  

Lost 16 to the draft. 2 to UDFA. And a couple like Chase are sitting out. Its an entirely new team out there.

I figured on 4-5 losses. But things on the field look far worse than that. I think he gets this one, and 2 more. O can recruit. With some decent classes and qbs coming in putting time on his side.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Lost 16 to the draft. 2 to UDFA. And a couple like Chase are sitting out. Its an entirely new team out there.

I figured on 4-5 losses. But things on the field look far worse than that. I think he gets this one, and 2 more. O can recruit. With some decent classes and qbs coming in putting time on his side.

He can absolutely recruit, and is in a talent-rich area so that's not an issue.  With LSU's profile, he will always be in play for high-profile QB transfers.  I just wonder if he struck gold with Brady, and that might be all she wrote.  I like Coach O, too, and I'd hate to see that happen to him.

I’ve been switching back and forth between the Alabama game and the Clems...err...DA U game. 

I’ve missed a lot of it, but Devonta Smith is just rolling up yards on Ole Miss tonight. He’d been quiet until this evening, don’t know if there’s any chance for he or Waddle making it to the 2nd round if they’re gonna put up numbers like this. 

• Like 1

I like Clemson’s & Notre Dame’s TE (Tommy Tremble) and Galloway (4 recs, 72 yards & 2 TDs through 3 quarters) from Clemson they seem nice, a nice blend of size & receiving ability with good athleticism.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Obviously no chance we invest highly in yet another RB (right? Right???), but Travis Etienne is a dad gum good player. Vision and speed are both special, big play waiting to happen.

Draft Eitenne and move Gibson to WR?? Move Harmon to TE. All of a sudden we have weapons everywhere and we can draft a TE too in round 3.

RB: Eitenne (rnd 2)

1WR: Terry

2WR: Gibson

Slot: Steven Sims 

TE: Harmon or rookie TE (rnd 3, Pat F from Penn St, Galloway from Clemson, Tremble form ND)

All of sudden, we got weapons all around.

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’ve been switching back and forth between the Alabama game and the Clems...err...DA U game. 

I’ve missed a lot of it, but Devonta Smith is just rolling up yards on Ole Miss tonight. He’d been quiet until this evening, don’t know if there’s any chance for he or Waddle making it to the 2nd round if they’re gonna put up numbers like this. 

Miami probably wasn't winning this, but for D'Eriq King, this was the worst possible showing for his draft stock.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Draft Eitenne and move Gibson to WR?? Move Harmon to TE. All of a sudden we have weapons everywhere and we can draft a TE too in round 3.

RB: Eitenne (rnd 2)

1WR: Terry

2WR: Gibson

Slot: Steven Sims 

TE: Harmon or rookie TE (rnd 3, Pat F from Penn St, Galloway from Clemson, Tremble form ND)

All of sudden, we got weapons all around.

Gibson is an RB for me. I wanted him to be a WR, but watching him in college and watching him as a pro, I think they made the right call with him. He’s really thickly built and he just doesn’t have the sort of fluidity in his movements that I associate with NFL WRs — he’s more of a powerful, forceful mover. 

I like that they can split him out and have him run different kinds of routes from the backfield with his WR background, as he’ll just destroy most NFL LBs. But I just can’t see him consistently getting open against NFL CBS as a full-time WR. Love the way he looks so far though, it seems like it could be yet another good snag by Kyle Smith. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Gibson is an RB for me. I wanted him to be a WR, but watching him in college and watching him as a pro, I think they made the right call with him. He’s really thickly built and he just doesn’t have the sort of fluidity in his movements that I associate with NFL WRs — he’s more of a powerful, forceful mover. 

I like that they can split him out and have him run different kinds of routes from the backfield with his WR background, as he’ll just destroy most NFL LBs. But I just can’t see him consistently getting open against NFL CBS as a full-time WR. Love the way he looks so far though, it seems like it could be yet another good snag by Kyle Smith. 

Very true, I was just thinking to find room for Eiteene, but we could always start Gibson and use Eiteene as we use McKissic right now but give them both more carries.

Yeah, I have to give props to Kyle Smith once again and Scott Turner who was supposedly drawing up plays for Gibson after the Senior Bowl.

In honor of his big night tonight, I’ve been watching a bunch of Devonta Smith from 2019. No sense beating around the bush: I absolutely love this kid. 

Starting with the bad part, he’s very slightly built and physical corners can control him when they get their hands on him. Stingley from LSU (who is of course excellent in his own right) was bullying him big time in the first half of their matchup. Smith beat him on a deep ball when Stingley had turned his head to the sideline at the snap, but for the most part he handled him early on with physical play.

The thing about Smith that’s so impressive is that he has this almost breathtaking burst. He hits a 6th gear somehow at times to close on a deep ball or explode through a gap when running with the ball. Between the pure speed and that burst to the ball and the ability to track the deep ball and catch it in stride, you’d think you were watching Desean Jackson. But he’s got a little more to his game than Desean in my opinion, and I’m not even one who thinks Desean is just a one trick pony. Smith has strong hands and he plucks it well, and he has remarkable body control in the air. There are a few plays in his film where you’re just astounded that he came down with the ball. 

I can’t see any way he doesn’t go top 20, which means he probably won’t fit with our picks. Which is a bummer. I’d take him over Ruggs without hesitation, and I might take him over Jeudy. Which is high praise from me, because I loved Jeudy. But this kid is lightning in a bottle.

• Like 2

@e16bball Yeah, I was shocked D. Smith didn’t leave for the pros last year. I thought he was Bama’s 2nd best WR after Jeudy of course. He must have not gotten a 1st round grade last year and decided to go back to school. He could totally be starting in the pros right now or at worst he a #3 and that’s a million dollars he’ll ever get back unless Alabama’s boosters pay that much for a season right now but I’m not sure what the going rate is.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Didn't take Mack Brown that long to turn around UNC.  Meanwhile, Les Miles isn't doing that great with Kansas. 

No I didn’t and I liked the hire for UNC!!! But this is also the best QB prospect I believe he’s had outside of VY