2021 NFL Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Also, has anybody tanked their draft stock more than Shaun Wade this year? That dude was CB1 for a lot of people coming into the season, and he has been really not good shifting outside. Should have pulled a Rousseau and opted out before he got exposed.

He’s been awful all year. I wouldn’t touch him until round 3. Funny thing is Wade did opt out before the season began bc of COVID then when the Big10 decided to play he opted back in and ruined his draft stock but, it looks like he’ll get to play in the National Championship game which is a once in a lifetime experience.

Edited by turtle28

58 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Talk to me about Mac Jones. Pros? Cons?

I don’t see it with him but that’s just me. He has so much receiving talent surrounding him that he could play blindfolded and still throw a couple TD passes. A lot of us are going to be sad when we realize Rivera already has his QB...Kyle Allen. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Throws a pretty ball, especially deep. 

I don't get the complete adoration that some have for him (kiper has him 15th on his big board which blows my mind). He's just so rarely in actual nfl situations it's hard to gauge. Physical skills are all okay.  No major flags, though I don't think his arm is elite or anything. Drives the ball well though. But I can't tell you how he handles pressure consistently, if he'll push the ball when he needs to because he doesn't have time to get to the receiver who is wide open, etc

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Throws a pretty ball, especially deep. 

I don't get the complete adoration that some have for him (kiper has him 15th on his big board which blows my mind). He's just so rarely in actual nfl situations it's hard to gauge. Physical skills are all okay.  No major flags, though I don't think his arm is elite or anything. Drives the ball well though. But I can't tell you how he handles pressure consistently, if he'll push the ball when he needs to because he doesn't have time to get to the receiver who is wide open, etc

This is pretty much how I feel. 

Will add in terms of pros that he moves well in the pocket and has awareness in that sense. Never going to be much of a runner nor (probably) a major play-extender outside the pocket. 

There’s not much reason to say he’s definitively bad, as you say. But it’s also virtually impossible to determine that he’s very good either, when he’s got this level of talent around him (on the field and off). The numbers are incredible, but is that a reflection of his ability or just of the Alabama offense as a whole? Is he a special player, or could any pretty good college QB do this with a couple years of experience behind the scenes to prepare to execute the offense with all these studs protecting him, running the ball, and being wide open for him?

It’s too much of a risk for me to bite, personally. Not without very good physical tools. I could take the plunge on Fields — despite the fact that I believe a lot of his production has come about due to his circumstances (basically playing an easier game than most college QBs) — because his physical gifts give him a tremendous upside (and a decent floor). I don’t have that with Jones...I have to believe he’s special in all the intangible areas and the nuances of pocket passing, and he just hasn’t been tested enough for me to put my eggs in that basket. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Reminds me of a Jimmy G/Kirk Cousins/Andy Dalton type. Good enough to win a lot with but needs a lot of talent around him to play at an elite level.

Edited by turtle28

I’ve said this before I like Brock Purdy. I wish he was little more consistent. He is smooth, great footwork, very accurate and I believe he can run ST ‘s offense. He’s not a franchise QB but I think he can manage a game and be productive. Would only cost probably a late day 3 pick. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’ve said this before I like Brock Purdy. I wish he was little more consistent. He is smooth, great footwork, very accurate and I believe he can run ST ‘s offense. He’s not a franchise QB but I think he can manage a game and be productive. Would only cost probably a late day 3 pick. 

He needs to go back to school, but right now he's basically a udfa for me because I think he caps out as a long term backup. Colt Mccoy type who will stick around for a decade. I just don't like burning picks on backup QBs 

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Agree with this. The question becomes, is Alex returning or retiring? And then they work off that I believe whether they sign a FA QB or where they draft one.

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Draft him round three or later as a slot corner or safety, you could get a steal. If someone drafts him in the first two as an outside corner, it's a disaster

I hadn’t thought about a move to safety, that could be a good move for him. It’s become obvious this year he just can not be on an island covering receivers, that’s a disaster.

• Like 1