2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He needs to go back to school, but right now he's basically a udfa for me because I think he caps out as a long term backup. Colt Mccoy type who will stick around for a decade. I just don't like burning picks on backup QBs 

I think you have to spend picks on back up QBs, bc regardless of who your starting QB is your back up is always a play away from playing. Two perfect examples for me are when teams take young QBs high to develop behind their aging starter then, a lot of times that young QB eventually develops into a good starter for the team too. Then, there’s also the RG3 & Kirk Cousins draft. Shanahan took Kirk in round 4 bc they knew they needed to develop a good back up, and then 4 years later Kirk developed into a 4,000 yard, 29 TD, plus 5 rushing TD, 9-7 division winning QB.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think you have to spend picks on back up QBs, bc regardless of who your starting QB is your back up is always a play away from playing. Two perfect examples for me are when teams take young QBs high to develop behind their aging starter then, a lot of times that young QB eventually develops into a good starter for the team too. Then, there’s also the RG3 & Kirk Cousins draft. Shanahan took Kirk in round 4 bc they knew they needed to develop a good back up, and then 4 years later Kirk developed into a 4,000 yard, 29 TD, plus 5 rushing TD, 9-7 division winning QB.

I don't mind drafting backups...if they have starting QB potential. For me, Purdy doesn't have that, which is my problem. Its strictly an eval issue as Purdy (specifically) is capped in my opinion because he actually has physical limitations.  His most likely upper cap is like a more mobile Gardner Minshew? So I wouldn't draft Purdy...I would draft Malik Willis though, even though Purdy is far more developed as a passer (Willis can stress a defense more and has infinitely more upside) and I'd probably draft Mond.

I was livid when the niners drafted Beathard because I thought he was a career back up...if you're going to spend a pick on that, I'd rather just pay a little something to sign a meh veteran back up. Like, if it's between drafting Purdy this year for the niners or signing a guy like Schaub, Henne or Glennon every year for a  couple of million, I'd rather just do the latter (the niners also carry 3 Qbs). There are guys available like that every year too. 

Starting to like this guy a lot. There are some good FS prospects this draft for if we are picking in 19th...

Parris Ford also, Trevon Moehrig and Jevon Holland.

http://ninetynineyards.com/2020/12/02/andre-cisco-scouting-report-everything-you-need-to-know/

Cisco’s ability to find and retrieve the ball is unparalleled to any other safety in this class. He is a true trailblazer in the backfield and his production shows what teams will be getting in the NFL.

Questions will be raised about Cisco’s tackling ability, but teams should be confident that they can teach and oversee his continued development.

What Cisco does well is extremely difficult to teach. It’s natural, it’s genetic, it’s ingrained in him. He is a legitimate prospect who has an extremely high upside.

Edited by turtle28

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Starting to like this guy a lot. There are some good FS prospects this draft for if we are picking in 19th...

Parris Ford also, Trevon Moehrig and Jevon Holland.

http://ninetynineyards.com/2020/12/02/andre-cisco-scouting-report-everything-you-need-to-know/

I was watching some videos on him and I believe I saw him mocked in the 2nd rd. He definitely impresses but I think I like Paris Ford a little better.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was watching some videos on him and I believe I saw him mocked in the 2nd rd. He definitely impresses but I think I like Paris Ford a little better.

Yeah, me too but I do like them both. I’ve seen Ford Mocked to the Ravens in round 1, and if he’s good enough for their D, he’s certainly good enough for ours.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 12:02 AM, turtle28 said:

As far as running backs go, give me Trey Sermon as A 3rd or 4th round pick. 

This gets to a point I’ve been meaning to make.

We’ve generally been seeing about 4 RBs gone in the first two rounds, about 7 RBs (total) gone in the first three rounds, and about 12 RBs (total) gone in the first four rounds. Those numbers were up a bit last season, so maybe the trend is changing, but that’s where the longer-term average sits. 

So given that, we’re probably looking at about 5-6 RBs gone by our 3rd round picks, and maybe about 10 gone by our 4th round pick. So I think that’s how we need to be thinking about the RBs who could be there in relation to our various picks. The 3rd rounders should be about RB6 or RB7 off the board, and the 4th rounder should be about RB11. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention this last night, but I think a guy the former LB crew might be high on (by which I mean “2nd round” high on) is Pete Werner. He’s just a smart, tough, blue-collar player. And I think he’s more athletic than he gets credit for, though it could be that the mental acuity makes him look a half-step quicker than he is. He just seems to me like a true linebacker’s linebacker, and I could easily see them falling in love — especially if they miss out on guys like Bolton and Moses before the 2nd rounder comes up. 

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

We’ve generally been seeing about 4 RBs gone in the first two rounds, about 7 RBs (total) gone in the first three rounds, and about 12 RBs (total) gone in the first four rounds. Those numbers were up a bit last season, so maybe the trend is changing, but that’s where the longer-term average sits. 

So given that, we’re probably looking at about 5-6 RBs gone by our 3rd round picks, and maybe about 10 gone by our 4th round pick. So I think that’s how we need to be thinking about the RBs who could be there in relation to our various picks. The 3rd rounders should be about RB6 or RB7 off the board, and the 4th rounder should be about RB11. 

This RB class is definitely below last couple years imo. Sermon could be a fast riser with his last three games, but for those of you that want him in the 3rd/4th, he might be there. I'd probably still wait and throw a flyer on a guy in the 6th or so. 

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

There are 4 UNC players I like innthis draft:

Surrat, LB in round 2

Williams, RB in round 3

Brown & Newsome the WRs in round 3 or 4

Newsome is a guy you want on your team!!! Not a special player but he will carve out a spot as a 2 in the NFL. Williams won’t be there round 3 he’s a beast I was hoping for us he would. But there’s a lot of backs I really like in this class. Lots of size and wiggle to go with the size and enough juice to outrun guys.

surrat is a beast as well. I’ve been pounding this UNC table this year I love the direction of that team.

Edited by ripsean21

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

awkward andy samberg GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Newsome is a guy you want on your team!!! Not a special player but he will carve out a spot as a 2 in the NFL. Williams won’t be there round 3 he’s a beast I was hoping for us he would. But there’s a lot of backs I really like in this class. Lots of size and wiggle to go with the size and enough juice to outrun guys.

surrat is a beast as well. I’ve been pounding this UNC table this year I love the direction of that team.

Yeah, so know it’s wishful thinking that Williams and Surrat are there for us in rounds 2 & 3 but for now, I’ll let that dream live on! 😂 

I have a feeling that Surrat will work his way to the end of the 1st and Williams will go in the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, so know it’s wishful thinking that Williams and Surrat are there for us in rounds 2 & 3 but for now, I’ll let that dream live on! 😂 

I have a feeling that Surrat will work his way to the end of the 1st and Williams will go in the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd.

That’s kinda where I’m at with them. That’s def my range. The thing that I love most about UNC is I like this group but the guys coming up in the next few years could be even more exciting as they start getting their starter reps. Their true freshman CB 20 man that guy is going to be a good one. Got picked on a lot this year and really held his own. Once he gets that situational presence man he has every tool fluid hips plays the ball well in the air. When he starts really trusting his eyes and isn’t thinking man I should still be in Highschool this guys going to be a beast. They have a few LB’s that I was excited to see that filled in great and are only going to improve. Their OL is tough. I really like the direction of this program Mack is going to have this team doing Texas things in the ACC.