2021 NFL Draft Thread

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They aren’t getting two first round picks for Stafford. 

Definitely not. 

If he was 27, maybe. But he’s going to be 33 next season. No one is giving up multiple 1st rounders for a guy that age unless he’s a bona fide HOF level QB. Especially not when the guy has had some serious injury issues over the past two seasons — and is carrying a 39-47 record over the last 6 years. 

A couple weeks ago, PFF suggested a 1st and a future 3rd (plus Haskins, which is obviously off the table now). Even that’s a little rich for me, but I get that it’s a franchise QB and it’s hard to measure the value that provides. 

In an ideal world, it would be our 2nd plus the future 3rd — perhaps as a conditional that could bump up to a 2nd if he started a certain numbers or games and we won a playoff game or something — and some other pick swaps that would add a little more value for them. Then we could trade down from 19 and recoup some pick value. Still get someone like Nick Bolton or Jevon Holland at the end of round 1 and add a quality slot guy in the back end of the 2nd with the pick we’d nab in the trade. 

Bold call day after season ended,is Eagles trade Jalen Hurts almost impossible cap wise to move on from Carson at this point and you can't keep both so they trade Hurts for picks and try again next year with Carson

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Definitely not. 

If he was 27, maybe. But he’s going to be 33 next season. No one is giving up multiple 1st rounders for a guy that age unless he’s a bona fide HOF level QB. Especially not when the guy has had some serious injury issues over the past two seasons — and is carrying a 39-47 record over the last 6 years. 

A couple weeks ago, PFF suggested a 1st and a future 3rd (plus Haskins, which is obviously off the table now). Even that’s a little rich for me, but I get that it’s a franchise QB and it’s hard to measure the value that provides. 

In an ideal world, it would be our 2nd plus the future 3rd — perhaps as a conditional that could bump up to a 2nd if he started a certain numbers or games and we won a playoff game or something — and some other pick swaps that would add a little more value for them. Then we could trade down from 19 and recoup some pick value. Still get someone like Nick Bolton or Jevon Holland at the end of round 1 and add a quality slot guy in the back end of the 2nd with the pick we’d nab in the trade. 

I'd give a 1st and 3rd for Stafford would be happier if we didn't have to give up a 1st but would be ok with it you sign Marvin Jones to a 2 year deal with him in free agents who has 9 TD in 3 of the last 4 seasons with Matt and get back Kelvin Harmon and I'd think we'd be a tough team to knock out the next 2-4 years

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Christian Darrisaw, OT, VT

Patrick Surtain II, CB, Bama

Jaylen Waddle, WR, Bama

Not holding out much hope for any of this trio to be there for us at 19. I think Surtain goes top 10, and I think Waddle is just too explosive to make it through the entire teens. Would love it if he did, but he makes a ton of sense for each of the 4 teams drafting directly ahead of us. I’d also love to get Darrisaw, but from watching more of him, I think he’s probably going to be a big riser. Maybe even as high as Carolina at 8, but definitely a player for LAC or MIN at 13-14. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Trey Lance, QB, NDSU

I think this guy is going to be the one we spend a lot of time pondering over the next few months. Does he make it to us? Seems like a longshot. Would mean that 10 teams who might at least vaguely need a future QB in front of us (JAX, NYJ, ATL, DET, CAR, DEN, SF, MIN, NE, LV) would have to pass on him, as well as 4 teams behind us who definitely need a future QB and could trade up (CHI, IND, PIT, TB, NO). And if all those teams have a shot at him, and choose to pass — are  we sure we want him?

To me, the Lance choice would be dependent on Smith coming back for next season (as well as Allen being back healthy). If you can put him in a position where he sits for a whole year, your chances of success with him go way up, in my opinion at least.

23 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern

Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas

Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri

Alex Leatherwood, OT, Bama

These are all good players, and I suspect they’ll all be in consideration. A couple “hopeful” guys I’ll add that could fall would be Rashod Bateman, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, and Caleb Farley. I might put those guys in the same category as Darrisaw and Waddle — not super likely, but you never know. 

I think we’ll probably also have to get to know the top guard prospects (Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Alijah Vera-Tucker) and the top FS prospects (Trevon Moehrig and Jevon Holland) over the next few months as well. They may well end up being BPA there.

• Like 1

Thanks @e16bball.

I actually wasn't going to list Waddle, but the guys last year fell a little further at times than I thought, so I figured what the hell. You have probably Chase and Smith ahead of Waddle.

Dolphins, to me, could very well go WR with either pick. Lions need to replace maybe two, but they also might need a QB, among many other things. I don't see many of the other teams going WR tbh. Waddle could be there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Thanks @e16bball.

I actually wasn't going to list Waddle, but the guys last year fell a little further at times than I thought, so I figured what the hell. You have probably Chase and Smith ahead of Waddle.

Dolphins, to me, could very well go WR with either pick. Lions need to replace maybe two, but they also might need a QB, among many other things. I don't see many of the other teams going WR tbh. Waddle could be there. 

I would love him to be there. And I agree with you, we definitely saw WRs dropping last year from where we thought they’d go — honestly, those top guys (with the exception of Ruggs and obviously Reagor) all went like 10 spots lower than I had them on my personal board. 

The thing that concerns me is that the two guys who went higher than expected both fit that profile of speed/deep threat. That was Reagor’s calling card (deep ball tracking on a DJax type level) and it’s pretty much all that Ruggs offers. The league falls in love with player “types,” and right now the Tyreek Hill type is en vogue. I’m no one to judge, as I love speed more than just about anyone, but that fixation led to some odd choices, with speed merchants going ahead of better all-around receivers. I think that bodes ill  for Waddle being there, but perhaps not Bateman?

I would love to have Waddle on this team, though. Nothing would open thing up more for Terry than a guy who can run past any single coverage in the league. And he would be an absolute weapon in this offense with his burst and contact balance on those screens and the pure speed on the shallow crosses and deep overs that they favor. Would change the dynamic of defending us entirely.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would love him to be there. And I agree with you, we definitely saw WRs dropping last year from where we thought they’d go — honestly, those top guys (with the exception of Ruggs and obviously Reagor) all went like 10 spots lower than I had them on my personal board. 

The thing that concerns me is that the two guys who went higher than expected both fit that profile of speed/deep threat. That was Reagor’s calling card (deep ball tracking on a DJax type level) and it’s pretty much all that Ruggs offers. The league falls in love with player “types,” and right now the Tyreek Hill type is en vogue. I’m no one to judge, as I love speed more than just about anyone, but that fixation led to some odd choices, with speed merchants going ahead of better all-around receivers. I think that bodes ill  for Waddle being there, but perhaps not Bateman?

I would love to have Waddle on this team, though. Nothing would open thing up more for Terry than a guy who can run past any single coverage in the league. And he would be an absolute weapon in this offense with his burst and contact balance on those screens and the pure speed on the shallow crosses and deep overs that they favor. Would change the dynamic of defending us entirely.

Would you trade up to say 13-15 range and give up the extra 3rd for Waddle or wait and Take the 4th wr

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I think everyone wants Stafford, most just don’t want to trade multiple picks and probably two first round picks to get him. That’s too much draft capital to lose although, if you take away those two future players and place Stafford on this current team which should be mostly in place for the next 5 years we’re a Super Bowl contender w/ our defense, Gibby running the ball and Stafford.

I’d still rather go another direction at QB and honestly, I don’t think Washington is looking for a new starting QB unless Alex retires which he may do now because short of winning a Super Bowl, what left does he have to prove?

Came back from the worst broken leg/infection to a player I can ever heard remember in NFL history to play this year - which almost no one thought he could do - played at about his standards the second half of the year, went 5-1 as a starter and righted the ship on a 2-7 team and got them to 7-9, a Division  Championship and into the playoffs.

I’m 50/50 on Stafford.... he’s never won anything and he’s 32 and is most likely going to cost at least a 1st round pick. And we would have to cut smith or hope he retires for this to make sense...

but if we could get away with not having to trade a 1st I could possibly get on board with it. If we could some how trade our 2nd and 1 of our dlineman it may make sense to do so

Kenny Golladay put up some big numbers with Stafford as his QB. Maybe if we did get Stafford we could lure Golladay in FA which could pay off big

in other words let’s say we trade our 2nd rounder, time settle and maybe a conditional 5th that could be a 4th next year depending on playing time and accolades I would be ok with it

that trade, Smith retiring, and Golladay signing would be a major change in our offense. With how good our defense is you would have to think that team makes the playoffs 

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Would you trade up to say 13-15 range and give up the extra 3rd for Waddle or wait and Take the 4th wr

I think this team realistically could only afford to move up to select a QB. But Waddle is a beast as are the Chase and Smith. 

8 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I’m 50/50 on Stafford.... he’s never won anything and he’s 32 and is most likely going to cost at least a 1st round pick. And we would have to cut smith or hope he retires for this to make sense...

but if we could get away with not having to trade a 1st I could possibly get on board with it. If we could some how trade our 2nd and 1 of our dlineman it may make sense to do so

Kenny Golladay put up some big numbers with Stafford as his QB. Maybe if we did get Stafford we could lure Golladay in FA which could pay off big

in other words let’s say we trade our 2nd rounder, time settle and maybe a conditional 5th that could be a 4th next year depending on playing time and accolades I would be ok with it

that trade, Smith retiring, and Golladay signing would be a major change in our offense. With how good our defense is you would have to think that team makes the playoffs 

I would not trade for Stafford or Ryan.

• Like 1

Just now, ripsean21 said:

I would not trade for Stafford or Ryan.

I would limit that to a team that is a QB away on a small window - that could be us, but I don't think so. Maybe the Colts again if Rivers retires, the Raiders could try it, the Pats could give another go, the Niners are a popular pick to try, and the Bears.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Definitely not. 

I don’t know, I think they get at least a first for Stafford and a 2nd but it wouldn’t shock me if they got more, he’s a top 10 QB. I’d put him above Dak as a QB but, it’s true that Dak is 5 years younger.

I go back to the Broncos getting two firsts for Cutler and Stafford has a better track record and isn’t a diva/malcontent like Cutler was of course Cutler was younger than Stafford currently is when he forced a trade our of Denver but still, Stafford is the best QB of the bunch here. 

I would want Stafford if he was a free agent, but it’s the giving up picks for him which makes me say no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not holding out much hope for any of this trio to be there for us at 19. I think Surtain goes top 10, and I think Waddle is just too explosive to make it through the entire teens. Would love it if he did, but he makes a ton of sense for each of the 4 teams drafting directly ahead of us. I’d also love to get Darrisaw, but from watching more of him, I think he’s probably going to be a big riser. Maybe even as high as Carolina at 8, but definitely a player for LAC or MIN at 13-14. 

I think this guy is going to be the one we spend a lot of time pondering over the next few months. Does he make it to us? Seems like a longshot. Would mean that 10 teams who might at least vaguely need a future QB in front of us (JAX, NYJ, ATL, DET, CAR, DEN, SF, MIN, NE, LV) would have to pass on him, as well as 4 teams behind us who definitely need a future QB and could trade up (CHI, IND, PIT, TB, NO). And if all those teams have a shot at him, and choose to pass — are  we sure we want him?

To me, the Lance choice would be dependent on Smith coming back for next season (as well as Allen being back healthy). If you can put him in a position where he sits for a whole year, your chances of success with him go way up, in my opinion at least.

These are all good players, and I suspect they’ll all be in consideration. A couple “hopeful” guys I’ll add that could fall would be Rashod Bateman, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, and Caleb Farley. I might put those guys in the same category as Darrisaw and Waddle — not super likely, but you never know. 

I think we’ll probably also have to get to know the top guard prospects (Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Alijah Vera-Tucker) and the top FS prospects (Trevon Moehrig and Jevon Holland) over the next few months as well. They may well end up being BPA there.

Your spot on with all of this!!! Paris Ford is another name to watch on that saftey list. Davis is a dog Darrisaw is going before our pick he’s a beast!!! You hit the nail on the head with everything you said great post E!!!

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I would limit that to a team that is a QB away on a small window - that could be us, but I don't think so. Maybe the Colts again if Rivers retires, the Raiders could try it, the Pats could give another go, the Niners are a popular pick to try, and the Bears.

I agree while we’re building we need to groom one. We’re grooming this defense and we still have to get weapons on offense. I see us spending on a WR so the youth there can develop and we get a capable guy alongside Terry. But I think if we do any kind of splashy thing it’s moving up to get their QB even if he’s going to sit