Which Browns regime was the closest to long term success?

Kiwibrown

Which regime was closest to succeding for the long term?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which one was the closest to long term success

• Chris palmer 99-00
    • Butch Davis 01-04
    • Romeo Crennel 05-08
    • Eric Mangini 09-10
    • Pat Shurmur 11-12
    • Rob Chudzinski 13
    • Mike Pettine 14-15
    • Hue Jackson 16-18
    • Gregg William's 18
    • Freddie Kitchens 19

A thought experiment. Which coach was the closest to long term success and what would it have taken that group to get there? 

Fun facts- 

Most games coached- Romeo Crennel at 64 second east butch Davis at 58. The golden era of winning and stability since our reincarnation, from 01-08. A winning percentage of .414 and .375 and .175 from Robiskie. 

Highest overall winning percentage was Gregg William's at .625. Though not a regime I put him for the 3g truthers. 

Coaches over 11 wins? 

2. Davis and Crennel.

Excluding Stephaski. 

Romeo, because 2007 we went 10-6 with some really young talent at very key positions. We had our Franchise LT, a very young Pro Bowl QB, who if he's able to progress to the next step, becomes a franchise cornerstone, then you have Braylon and KWII who were high 1st Rounders and Pro Bowlers, and our entire OL looked good with great production from the running game.

IF Anderception and company make those next strides offensively, that's a decade of offensive dominance and you then give you defensive "genius" HC some ammo to go out and add to that unit.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d say Butch.

The talent wasn’t great, and he should have never been the GM, but he could coach and actually won games.

Yep butch is the only answer. But he shouldn’t have been GM. 

mangini had something special but again screwed it up because he wanted front office power. 

i will go to my grave thinking chudd could have been good if he was given the chance. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Romeo, because 2007 we went 10-6 with some really young talent at very key positions. We had our Franchise LT, a very young Pro Bowl QB, who if he's able to progress to the next step, becomes a franchise cornerstone, then you have Braylon and KWII who were high 1st Rounders and Pro Bowlers, and our entire OL looked good with great production from the running game.

IF Anderception and company make those next strides offensively, that's a decade of offensive dominance and you then give you defensive "genius" HC some ammo to go out and add to that unit.

Derrick Anderson was a phony pro bowler. He would have never improved. He never even shown a glimpse of that talent again. He just chucked it deep. 

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Derrick Anderson was a phony pro bowler. He would have never improved. He never even shown a glimpse of that talent again. He just chucked it deep. 

I forgot you liked Brady Quinn.

Anderception forever.

• Like 1

This is a fun question to ponder.

Butch Davis was the closest, imo. If he has a competent GM to find talent and keep his excesses in check and a healthy Tim Couch, that team would have been set up really nice, imo. He had them playing well, they just needed more talent (imagine "Run Portis, Run!")

36 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I’ll take sleeper pick Chud. He kinda had a game plan every week but he was caught in a rock and a hard place with no QB, no organizational commitment, and an inherited team of turds. 

The corpse of mcgahee as his lead horse didn't help.