Which Browns regime was the closest to long term success?

Kiwibrown

Which regime was closest to succeding for the long term?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which one was the closest to long term success

• Chris palmer 99-00
    • Butch Davis 01-04
    • Romeo Crennel 05-08
    • Eric Mangini 09-10
    • Pat Shurmur 11-12
    • Rob Chudzinski 13
    • Mike Pettine 14-15
    • Hue Jackson 16-18
    • Gregg William's 18
    • Freddie Kitchens 19

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I still think that teams success was because of Freddie. Terrible HC but he was a really good OC with Haley’s playbook. 

Agreed.  Zampese obviously played a huge role too.

Greggggg is the type of dude who can play the interim role well, but he’d wear people tf out over time.  There’s a reason he’s coached for half the teams in the league.  He knows his stuff and he’s an obnoxious arse.

Romeo may be the worst game day coach of the bunch. Just insane with clock management and the stuff 7 year olds know. He had the best talent probably but as a HC he was bad.

No way I can even consider anyone with less than 2 years because they didn't even get their feet wet let alone get close to showing signs of long term success.

Romeo... no

Hue...  Hell no

It would probably come down to Mangini and Davis for me and Mangini could only coach a small percentage of personalities so there is no chance for long term success. Butch wins by default.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And pettine was a terrible HC

Honestly don't even remember him doing anything good/bad.  The entire regime seemed to be defined by screwing up really bad and picking Johnny, then doubling down on that mistake and attempting to play him. 

If you watch Johnny's college tape it is a wonder how anybody could think he was anything more than a project QB. 

Edited by Rod Johnson

34 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Honestly don't even remember him doing anything good/bad.  The entire regime seemed to be defined by screwing up really bad and picking Johnny, then doubling down on that mistake and attempting to play him. 

If you watch Johnny's college tape it is a wonder how anybody could think he was anything more than a project QB. 

Eh, JFF had plenty of talent and showed flashes here despite never taking the game seriously.

He dominated the best conference in football in college.

The only reason he failed is because he’s an idiot (maybe he fails to progress later on, but we never got that far).

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, JFF had plenty of talent and showed flashes here despite never taking the game seriously.

The only reason he failed is because he’s an idiot (maybe he fails to progress later on, but we never got that far).

Yeah he prolly could have been good if he took everything serious. At the time he had the best OC coaching him and he flushed it away. He is an ideal QB for that scheme. 

I’m just glad we have a coach who truly understands his position.

pettine coached like it was HS, play like a brown

Hue, you gotta earn you stripe

Freddie, if you don’t wear brown and orange you don’t matter. 

just glad Kevski isn’t like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I’m just glad we have a coach who truly understands his position.

pettine coached like it was HS, play like a brown

Hue, you gotta earn you stripe

Freddie, if you don’t wear brown and orange you don’t matter. 

just glad Kevski isn’t like that. 

Yeah that stuff is stupid as hell, this isn’t high school or college, these are grown *** men/professionals.

Just do your job and put them in position to do theirs well and all is good.

Save that corny stuff for movies and kids.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don't think he would have been good even with a decent head on his shoulders honestly.  Not a freak athlete like Murray/Jackson.  Not good at finding throwing lanes to offset his size like Brees/Wilson.  Never showed he was capable of making any sort of reads (processing defenses fast is not something I think someone can always learn).  I thought his arm talent was overrated too, not as good as Mayfield (who is also taller and better at processing defenses, and still average starter in the league).

Maybe if having a decent head means he tried a lot harder in high school and college too.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1