Herbert named Starter for Rest of Season

Deadpulse

5 hours ago, kramxel said:

I think Lynn's plan with Tyrod was based a lot on having a good running game, but that now seems out of the picture with so many injuries on the O-line and Ekeler going down. 

If we'll have to throw it a ton each game, it makes all the sense in the world to keep Herbert in there, besides all the other points pointing him to be way better than Tyrod ever dreamed. 

The only bad taste is from the way it was handled, with the Tyrod puncture situation, and though it was a random event, I feel it's Lynn's responsability, that Tyrod was the starter week 1, and not Herbert. 

If he was ready week 2, he was ready week 1, and should have been the QB they were planning the season with. 

Lynn didn’t think he was ready. Luckily what showed up in practice translated better in real games. And I thought the same thing about Herbert. Felt he had a lot of upside but that he needed a year of seasoning to fix some awful mechanics and improve his vision.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

Lynn didn’t think he was ready. Luckily what showed up in practice translated better in real games. And I thought the same thing about Herbert. Felt he had a lot of upside but that he needed a year of seasoning to fix some awful mechanics and improve his vision.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I thought Herbert had serious mechanical issues, that affected his accuracy, and thought he'd take years to develop, if ever! 

Mechanically he's still making some mistakes, but his footwork has been top notch, he eliminated that bizarre ball flip he used to make after getting the snap, and most importantly, and to my surprise, has shown a lot of mental toughness. 

When I said Lynn should have bet on him earlier, yeah it's a bit of a guess work, but I doubt he wasn't showing this in practices. 

23 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If it would hurt his confidence to give the starter back his job his confidence will get shattered in this league.

I think it's the right move, if your future looks ready why not start your future now. I don't think Herbert is so fragile that giving the reins back to Tyrod would hurt him though. I think he would still have the confidence he built up to this point and probably gain some knowledge if that would have happened. You certainly learn more actually playing though so his progression is going to be faster this way as long as he can withstand the thing that most often breaks a QB's confidence, a poor pass blocking effort by his offensive line.

Yeah, the confidence narrative is always one I thought was overblown - largely because it's a convenient and pretty one-dimensional argument.

The reason you keep a rookie QB in there after he's looked at least competent when thrust into action is because reps are what are going to benefit the player's development the most and - ironically, to the exactly opposite argument as the "don't shake his confidence" narrative - because young players learn from facing adversity.  You hit the nail on the head with the bolded part.

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This must of hurt Anthony Lynn's soul.

If only Dean Spanos were smart - mercifully for everyone that's not a Chargers fan... he's not - he wouldn't pull his usual standard of waiting a year too late to move on from a coach - and Lynn could migrate on to another team and take Tyrod with him.

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

While true, he also had the weirdest man crush on Tyrod. Looked visibly upset Tyrod couldn’t be starter. 

I’m sure he feels bad for Tyrod. I’m also sure saying nice things about Tyrod when there could be potential legal issues with a punctured lung is on his mind as well.