Jump to content
Greene N White

Worst jets team I’ve ever seen

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, xrade said:

You and I go back and forth about JD, particularly regarding game day rosters and player usage.  Perhaps you can tell me why you believe JD has any say at all of the game day roster and player usage?  Perhaps you can also tell me what you think JD could have done differently to avoid this disaster ans why he is a "Con Artist".  I am truly curious and not looking for an argument.

You, I and even professional football guys know that if there is a regular starter suited up for a game but not starting due to significant injury then he will step in a game as sub starter is down with injury.  It is a natural thing to be done in competitive world.  Right.

In Becton case, he had yet to practice enough to be qualified suiting up for Thursday night game but yet he was on the active roster.  Since JD is responsible for the roster and fixing OL is his utmost goal it is on him as this season is hypothetically shot anyway.  Keep Becton off the roster so Jets could not use him at all.

Yes, JD had nothing to do with game usage but he could prevent this by keeping him off the roster. It is not same as "JD came down and told Gase to play Becton during the game".

 

JD failed at FA hurt big time.  Without using FA to bring the competitive level always spells a failure in GM world.  JD could have signed Conklin to pair up with Becton at T but no as Conklin walked away and signed with Browns for 14m cap annually.  JD refused to pay double digit to Robby Anderson who had good rapport with Darnold.  He drafted one WR in the draft that happened to be consist of the largest talented pool at WR in NFL history.  Good GM should take advantage of every aspect in talents, not just one a time per year. 

In Jets' recent history, they tended to develop the roster cheaply and conservatively before BAM! they went overboad with overrated or fading FA players. JD is in the same  path even though it is still too early to know whether he will collect right FA players in near future.  I believe you said that Jets are ahead of the curve for unusual rigid salary cap of 2021. Yes, you are right on this but it doesn't improve the culture today. Improving the culture in NY/NJ is the most difficult thing to do and you believe JD can make a great leap next year. That is damn tall.

JD's chief goal in last offseason was to protect Darnold.  By that, it means he should address OL and WR aggressively. I don't mean most expensive players we ever heard but crowding at those position with better talents.  JD needs to show something that Jets are actually on the right road to next level but he hasn't.  Jets' 2020 season flops without any COVID excuses.  Even with Gase's pathetic coaching technique,  better FA and draft could net us better result than 0-5 and being in the contest for the most negative difference (points) in NFL.   No I don't have evidence to back that but that is what I see enough to draw up a hypothesis without a new head coach theory.

 

 

Edited by JetsandI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

If he keeps Gase, yes. 

But its way too early to tell anything yet with Douglas, because I guarantee you the Johnson's told him not to spend money. They can play public games but I think they were penny pinching. 

 

I thought the draft made sense, so I can't bash him for it. We have to wait to see, because players got injured which is a theme under Gase. And also there was no prep for the season for these rookies so its hard. 

Adam Gase has to go, he is the most useless HC I have ever seen. 

 

Seeing Anderson balling out with the Panthers is really a disaster. He is on pace for a 1,500 yard season while our WRs are trash beside Crowder.  Hopefully Mims can play this season to see what we have with him 

 

Jets gave JD one of NFL's richest contract despite it was his first GM gig and then limited him to the penny limited franchise? I don't think so.

 

His draft may or may be good but he spread the needs over the team instead of attacking on offensive side that has been dead. Just because Voodoo practice can't bring offense from dead doesn't mean JD should address lightly on offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

You, I and even professional football guys know that if there is a regular starter suited up for a game but not starting due to significant injury then he will step in a game as sub starter is down with injury.  It is a natural thing to be done in competitive world.  Right.

In Becton case, he had yet to practice enough to be qualified suiting up for Thursday night game but yet he was on the active roster.  Since JD is responsible for the roster and fixing OL is his utmost goal it is on him as this season is hypothetically shot anyway.  Keep Becton off the roster so Jets could not use him at all.

Yes, JD had nothing to do with game usage but he could prevent this by keeping him off the roster. It is not same as "JD came down and told Gase to play Becton during the game".

 

JD failed at FA hurt big time.  Without using FA to bring the competitive level always spells a failure in GM world.  JD could have signed Conklin to pair up with Becton at T but no as Conklin walked away and signed with Browns for 14m cap annually.  JD refused to pay double digit to Robby Anderson who had good rapport with Darnold.  He drafted one WR in the draft that happened to be consist of the largest talented pool at WR in NFL history.  Good GM should take advantage of every aspect in talents, not just one a time per year. 

In Jets' recent history, they tended to develop the roster cheaply and conservatively before BAM! they went overboad with overrated or fading FA players. JD is in the same  path even though it is still too early to know whether he will collect right FA players in near future.  I believe you said that Jets are ahead of the curve for unusual rigid salary cap of 2021. Yes, you are right on this but it doesn't improve the culture today. Improving the culture in NY/NJ is the most difficult thing to do and you believe JD can make a great leap next year. That is damn tall.

JD's chief goal in last offseason was to protect Darnold.  By that, it means he should address OL and WR aggressively. I don't mean most expensive players we ever heard but crowding at those position with better talents.  JD needs to show something that Jets are actually on the right road to next level but he hasn't.  Jets' 2020 season flops without any COVID excuses.  Even with Gase's pathetic coaching technique,  better FA and draft could net us better result than 0-5 and being in the contest for the most negative difference (points) in NFL.   No I don't have evidence to back that but that is what I see enough to draw up a hypothesis without a new head coach theory.

 

 

IIRC, Becton’s injury was not IR worthy. Thus he would be on the active roster. Any attempt to put him on IR without warrant is a cause for the league to investigate. This year may be different because of COVID, but in years past, teams have been punished. That said, his use age was all on gase. You can also blame Chrissy for his effed up reporting system.

The culture will change when we start to win. gase will prevent that. Yes, JD was cheap this offseason but for good reason. It will take more than a year with this crap show, but we are set up nicely for it. JD just has to hit on the right FA and draft picks. I like Fant and Becton as our OT for now. I also think McGovern is a decent C surrounded but crap OG making him look bad. Get a FA OG and try Clarke. If Clarke fails, we move on. I do truly believe the OL will be much better next year. All of us have said 4 new OL without an offseason will be tough. Why are we surprised it is?

I agree WR should have been addressed more aggressively. I agree just taking Mims and no one else was less than desirable. Since I am not a professional scout and, I assume, you are not either, who would you have taken?  The scouting department obviously thought Zuniga, Davis, and Hall were worthy. Until they actually play, I will not disagree. Morgan, meh. Do you hate the Mann pick?  How about Huff?  Or Crowder?  This team has so many holes it will take a while. 

Next years offseason will be big for JD. We have money and draft picks. Hit on those and we are golden. Screw it up and I will join you on the get a new GM bandwagon. Until then, crucifying JD for the one offseason and speculating about player usage during the year is shortsighted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, xrade said:

IIRC, Becton’s injury was not IR worthy. Thus he would be on the active roster. Any attempt to put him on IR without warrant is a cause for the league to investigate. This year may be different because of COVID, but in years past, teams have been punished. That said, his use age was all on gase. You can also blame Chrissy for his effed up reporting system.

The culture will change when we start to win. gase will prevent that. Yes, JD was cheap this offseason but for good reason. It will take more than a year with this crap show, but we are set up nicely for it. JD just has to hit on the right FA and draft picks. I like Fant and Becton as our OT for now. I also think McGovern is a decent C surrounded but crap OG making him look bad. Get a FA OG and try Clarke. If Clarke fails, we move on. I do truly believe the OL will be much better next year. All of us have said 4 new OL without an offseason will be tough. Why are we surprised it is?

I agree WR should have been addressed more aggressively. I agree just taking Mims and no one else was less than desirable. Since I am not a professional scout and, I assume, you are not either, who would you have taken?  The scouting department obviously thought Zuniga, Davis, and Hall were worthy. Until they actually play, I will not disagree. Morgan, meh. Do you hate the Mann pick?  How about Huff?  Or Crowder?  This team has so many holes it will take a while. 

Next years offseason will be big for JD. We have money and draft picks. Hit on those and we are golden. Screw it up and I will join you on the get a new GM bandwagon. Until then, crucifying JD for the one offseason and speculating about player usage during the year is shortsighted. 

 

no no no... I said inactive roster, not injured reserve.  You can even scratch a healthy player for a game. 

 

I liked Gabriel Davis as another WR drafted but no dice.  

 

I really don't look forward to witnessing another JD's screwup after this season.

 

Edited by JetsandI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

 

no no no... I said inactive roster, not injured reserve.  You can even scratch a healthy player for a game. 

 

I guess it comes down to who makes the call for the game day roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the story with Mrs. Mims, this guy couldn't even make the practice field in training camp. It has been 11 weeks and no sign of this guy. Every game we are playing with only one WR Crowder, all the rest of the WR on our roster flat out suck, and the same can be said about the TE position. No wonder our QB struggle to pass for 170 yards per game . And a lot of that 170 yards comes at garbage time. You just can't win in the NFL without quality WR's.  And what about L BELL, for a player who was a outstanding pass receiver coming out of the backfield with Steelers. So far this year he has three pass receptions for 39 yards and most of that 39 yards came on one play. I really don't even want to talk about the TE position,  Our so called future star is 6'3 253# and is afraid to go over the middle. like all the great TE's due. This is the reason why out offensive is so pathetic not the play calling. and by the way play calling suck also.

Edited by doumeyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s different so far is that there’s nothing to be excited for. Not even a player that’s fun to watch with optimism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes. Not doing enough at WR. Even if we had a healthy group... we still needed a legit talent. Perriman was a HUGE risk and it has proven to be exactly that. And Mims is a rookie, so we had no clue what we’d get from him. Then it was just Crowder in the slot, who is good. So we went into the season with just Crowder as a proven talent we could rely on. And that’s exactly what has happened. We have guys off the street starting for us now.

 

I think JD did as mic as he could on the OL. But McGovern and GVR haven’t lived up to what they’re supposed to be. But he tried at least. And I think he just didn’t do enough at edge either. 

You've been very consistent about the WR issues. You seen it coming a mile away. I do want to see how things look with Perriman, Mims, Smith, Crowder all healthy and together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What’s different so far is that there’s nothing to be excited for. Not even a player that’s fun to watch with optimism. 

Our quest for  a WR  started with the 2015 draft when a few of us wanted De Viante Parker, and we took Leo Williams. And it has been every draft since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Our quest for  a WR  started with the 2015 draft when a few of us wanted De Viante Parker, and we took Leo Williams. And it has been every draft since.

Our quest for a WR began after we drafted Moss in '01.  We have not taken a first round WR in 20 years! Which is OK as long as we address the position in Rd's 2-3.  An when I mean address, I mean getting actual WR's not the Devins, Hills, and Stewarts.  You can also add OL, EDGE, CB to this list.  Our GM situation has sucked so bad over the last 3 decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xrade said:

Our quest for a WR began after we drafted Moss in '01.  We have not taken a first round WR in 20 years! Which is OK as long as we address the position in Rd's 2-3.  An when I mean address, I mean getting actual WR's not the Devins, Hills, and Stewarts.  You can also add OL, EDGE, CB to this list.  Our GM situation has sucked so bad over the last 3 decades.

I was just going to look up the last time we drafted a running back and Wr in the first round.

 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Our quest for a WR began after we drafted Moss in '01.  We have not taken a first round WR in 20 years! Which is OK as long as we address the position in Rd's 2-3.  An when I mean address, I mean getting actual WR's not the Devins, Hills, and Stewarts.  You can also add OL, EDGE, CB to this list.  Our GM situation has sucked so bad over the last 3 decades.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You've been very consistent about the WR issues. You seen it coming a mile away. I do want to see how things look with Perriman, Mims, Smith, Crowder all healthy and together. 

Yes I’ve been saying we need WRs to help our QBs for quite sometime. That year we had Marshall and Decker healthy I shut up about it (even though I knew they weren’t long term answers). It’s just common sense to know you have to give a “hopeful” franchise QB weapons to work with to help them succeed. We constantly don’t do this and try the cheap FA route and mid/late round picks route. And it just hasn’t worked in forever. We have to start investing high draft picks in weapons and actually breaking the bank (bc we will have nearly 90mill in cap space) on weapons. Whether it’s Darnold, TLaw... it doesn’t matter. We have to give whoever is at QB guys. The whole mindset that defense still wins championships and that you can throw any late round weapons out there idea doesn’t work. The young QBs now succeeding in the nfl all have been given weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try being a Jets fan for 36 years and you will see all more bad football. This teams just loves to tear your heart apart. Here in Maine I listen to the Big Jab and that is the sports talkshow most people listen too. The PM host is a huge jets fan and he told me when the Jets win the super bowl I will be the guest host that Monday. I laughed and said I hope I'm on your show by the time I retire in 20 years. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Try being a Jets fan for 36 years and you will see all more bad football. This teams just loves to tear your heart apart. Here in Maine I listen to the Big Jab and that is the sports talkshow most people listen too. The PM host is a huge jets fan and he told me when the Jets win the super bowl I will be the guest host that Monday. I laughed and said I hope I'm on your show by the time I retire in 20 years. lol

I can relate being 38. A lot want to point to the Johnsons as to why we are always bad. But they aren’t drafting and signing FAs. What they can be blamed for us GM issues for a long time. Bc it’s ownership hiring the GM. And that in turn is why we draft awful and can’t get the right FAs.

 

When this team can realize it’s a FF driven NFL and loads up on offense... that’s when we might start winning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I can relate being 38. A lot want to point to the Johnsons as to why we are always bad. But they aren’t drafting and signing FAs. What they can be blamed for us GM issues for a long time. Bc it’s ownership hiring the GM. And that in turn is why we draft awful and can’t get the right FAs.

 

When this team can realize it’s a FF driven NFL and loads up on offense... that’s when we might start winning. 

We have be on the D side of the ball way too long. We need young guys with great high football IQ that can move an O down the field. Kingsbury is the guy I wanted and we let him go. We had a shot for him before Gase. I also wanted Andy Reid really bad after the eagles let him go. If Doug Peterson is let go you have to grab him fast. I think JD is waiting for Peterson to get fired and then fire Gase and tell Peterson we can make a great team here in New York. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...