GDT 2017: Week 5 - Ravens @ Raiders

drd23

Oakland-Raiders-vs-Baltimore-Ravens-NFL-

original.gif

I'm not sure how I feel about this game. 

The Ravens offense has been absolutely horrible over the past 2 weeks and the defense has struggled to get off the field.  They've also struggled in away games against the AFC West and NFC West since the Mile High Miracle way back in 2012, and this game is in Oakland.

OTOH the Raiders haven't performed much better and will be starting EJ Manuel as an underperforming Derek Carr broke his back last week against the Broncos.  And their much vaunted offensive line hasn't lived up to its reputation this year.

As a Raiders fan on another forum I post on said, this could effectively end up as a nil-all draw

Even with Carr, I believed we had a chance - as long as he was without Crabtree and their runninggame performed as it has done this year.

With Manuel, they can still beat us if the give us the Jaguars treatment, and Mack scares me. Their deficiencies on defense won't show, if the front 4 can provide the pressure on Flacco as Jaguars and Steelers were able to.

47 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Sigh, must-win in week 5? But if we lose this game we are probably done for the year if we can't beat EJ Manuel.

This is kind of how I feel about this game too. It isn't a "must-win" game because of the standings, but if we can't beat EJ Manuel, then it is hard to have high hopes of turning it around as the season goes on.

On the injury front, it sounds like Crabtree is likely going to play for Oakland and Jimmy Smith and Webb didn't practice yesterday. It seems like nobody really knows what is going on with Jimmy right now. It never looked like he got injured during the Steelers game, but he was listed as having an achilles injury. If it was a ruptured achilles, you'd have to think he'd be on IR by now, so who knows what he's dealing with. If he were to miss any time, it would obviously be another big blow to the defense with Brandon Williams unlikely to return this week.

If Jimmy and Webb are healthy, I like our defense's chances of stopping the Raiders on offense, but as has been the case all season, it will be a struggle to put up points offensively. We need to give extra support on whatever side Mack is lined up on at all times if we want to have a shot at having success through the air. Luckily the Raiders have 0 INTs on the season, so Joe may have a chance to end his INT streak. It will be a stoppable force meeting a movable object here and we'll see who wins out.

On one hand, we're facing EJ Manual, so that's good.

On the other hand, Oakland's pass rush is facing Joe Flacco, so that's very bad.

If our defense can do what they've done the first 2 games and create turnovers off of a bad QB, we should be able to kick like 8 FG's and win. Otherwise, I don't see much hope winning on the road.

Also, great news everyone, Jimmy Smith is back to being hurt for 43124th time in his career!

Yeah there's no fixing this offense and we go up against Mack this week, Flacco's going to get destroyed. 

We might be able to repeat weak 2 and force 4 turnovers on E.J Manuel but Turnovers are fluky. 

In the end I think we'll lose on a last second blocked FG. 

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

That's funny I was just thinking this same thing. Surprising enough to get me out of proverbial retirement.?

I had to do a double take and check who posted that because I couldn't believe it.

And nice to see you're still around thumbsup.gif

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Wait, what?  @RavensfanRD isn't ridiculously optimistic about Flacco?  We're doomed :P

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

That's funny I was just thinking this same thing. Surprising enough to get me out of proverbial retirement.?

John Harbaugh, the Ravens front office and coaching staff stole my joy, lol

Archived