Week #5 - General Football Talk

Blackstar12

48 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He still had 70 yards against the Pats. You're trying to turn correlation into causation. They didn't do some magical scheme that eliminated Kelce and then the offense ground to a halt. They got a good rush, the offense started struggling, and as a result no one got many yards, not just Kelce.

We averaged 29 points per game last year when Kelce had 5 or fewer catches. This is a point with no backing. This is a desperate attempt to find a magical secret to shutting a team down. It doesn't work that way.

He was largely schemed out of that game and the second half this week and their offense struggled and stalled out. 

Last week, yes he had 70 yards, he also had 3 receptions total and only 6 targets. He had one crazy in the first quarter and then didn’t show up again until the around 3 minutes left in the 3rd when the game starting to just get away from the Patriots, which isn’t a coincidence. And even then 1 of those 3 catches was for 1 yard. So basically once per half he was relevant.

Likewise today, when everybody was going “what happened to the Chiefs offense after the first half”, pretty much the biggest difference was Kelce was not an option and rarely open. 

Listing stats without context doesn’t mean much. Watch how the Chiefs run their offense when they are successful vs when they struggle. Kelce is the centerpiece of the offense, he’s typically the mismatch on most routes that is the safety net. It was a lot like Gronkowski when he was in his prime. Once he’s taken away it becomes a much more standard and by the numbers game for most defenses.

Its not that big of deal. Most teams won’t have the talent to do that to him. But it’s pretty clear that when he’s not wreaking havoc then Chiefs start coming down to Earth 

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I wouldn't go that far,  lol. Who between the Bills/patriots/Steelers/ravens could we beat out at this point for a wild card? We'd need to go like 9-2 down the stretch to have a realistic shot which, uh, I don't think that is happening

Next year.  Not this year.

But remember that there are 3 wild card teams now.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, hey, just the best player on the team out for the year, missed our best wide receiver for 3 games, our QB for 2 games coming back on a high ankle sprain too early while missing 5 of 4 of the top 5 corners. 

But use whatever narrative you wish, I guess. 

Just admit George Kittle isn't as great of a quarterback as you thought.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Do we have any COlts fans here who can explain why the Colts REFUSE to give Mo Allie-Cox snaps/targets in their offense? What the heck makes Jack Doyle and Trey Burton special?

Your guess is as good as mine. He’s a better Receiver, blocker and all around a better player.