Week #5 - General Football Talk

Blackstar12

28 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

They eat steak incorrectly in the south.

I'm pretty sure it is not a regional thing.

We had a guy on our crew from Pennsylvania who would get a ribeye and absolutely cover it in ketchup, to the point not a inch of it wasn't covered. And there wasn't a person on the crew regardless of where they came from that wouldn't stop and as "What are you doing??", but with more color in the language.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

They do it in the State Farm commercials, only this year Jake is the cool one and Aaron and Mahomes are the goofballs.  And then Peyton is the wacky one and whoever the hell that country singer is is the cool one.  It's the same commercial and everyone of them is ****.

Johnny Cash.

12 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I am not dismissing them if Alex Smith starts and Chase Young stays healthy. They have a credible HC with Rivera.

Their EDGEs are really, really good. Sweat and Young impressed me big time today. That DL of theirs can be so dominant if things come together for them.

20 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Sad thing is, most of the newer commercial ideas are even worse.

We just need do like Japan - completely wild commercials:

I don't know about you, but I want to spend my life savings on this product - and I don't even know what it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Their EDGEs are really, really good. Sweat and Young impressed me big time today. That DL of theirs can be so dominant if things come together for them.

Sweat was really good today. He's an outstanding athlete - Young obviously will be the face of that line, but Sweat impressed me just as much.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm probably remembering that season.  I think that was the year we got Herschel Walker.  There was a lot of hype about Herschel, but I can also remember the announcers mentioning just in passing after the game against the Packers that the Vikings got 8 sacks on your QB.  Back in the Doleman/Millard years.

Vikings won the Central that season.  Both were 10-6, Vikings had the tie breaker.  I'm pretty sure the Packers played against Herschel Walker 3 times that season.  I think he had a good enough season and probably a game or two before, and it was long enough ago to remember "that guy sure kicked our *****," when really, he was just pretty good.  

Like when I think of Daunte Culpepper, I remember the monster seasons, and he always killed us.  I don't know if it is true or not.  And fans of other teams probably see a 1.5:1 TD:INT guy.  But I remember the guy that threw the ball 50 yards down field and ran over LBs because he was a damn tank.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Vikings won the Central that season.  Both were 10-6, Vikings had the tie breaker.  I'm pretty sure the Packers played against Herschel Walker 3 times that season.  I think he had a good enough season and probably a game or two before, and it was long enough ago to remember "that guy sure kicked our *****," when really, he was just pretty good.  

Like when I think of Daunte Culpepper, I remember the monster seasons, and he always killed us.  I don't know if it is true or not.  And fans of other teams probably see a 1.5:1 TD:INT guy.  But I remember the guy that threw the ball 50 yards down field and ran over LBs because he was a damn tank.

Yeah, I remember Daunte as a good, but not great QB.  His big liabilities were his small hands, which did cause him to fumble his share of balls, and he was also a guy who was great when things were going well in the game, but when he got hit in the mouth, I always got the impression that he was emotionally a little soft. 

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, he is 4th in yards.  Phillip Rivers is 11k and change behind him.  Roethlisburger ~14k, Rodgers is 12th and 24k behind.  Matt Stafford may have the best chance to catch him but is currently 30k behind.

He is 4th in TD passes.  Rivers is about 100 behind him.  Rodgers and Roethlisburger ~130.  Matt Ryan ~180.

He retired with the record for most passing yards and TDs.  He was a 3x MVP, led the league in yards 4 times, TDs 4 times, won a Super Bowl, (I think) made 6 NFCC games.  First player to defeat all 32 teams as starting QB.

Yeah I mean I can read statistics too, but does that make him top 10? QBs with lesser stats are generally considered better than him as it is. Not to mention his propensity to throw a ton of interceptions, including a ton of absolutely maddening, back breaking ones, has to be factored into his overall legacy