The Technology Thread

UKTexans

15 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Pretty sure the Costco @Heimdallr would go to doesn't sell alcohol because of city liquor laws. But I'm also a single dude and buying meat and frozen vegtebles and a handful of other items(Costco toilet paper is the best value of anything you'll ever buy) in bulk once a month or so is worthwhile to me. I share my membership with a cousin that lives in Las Vegas so I only have to pay the fee every other year. Never actually paid attention to deals on electronics there. 

It's kinda the opposite here in Canada.  The Costco liquor dept. can't actually deny sales to non-members because liquor laws.  But Costco liquor store is probably my favourite store.

The actual Costco store is great too tho.  It's tough because the meat does come in big packages.  But despite that (insert homoerotic joke here), if you don't mind just going with a particular type of thing for the week and having leftovers, it's pretty unbeatable even if you're just cooking for one probably.  They got good meat, and great prices.  Plus a ton of frozen stuff too that is good, but you can dial up whenever you feel like it.  Their frozen fish is dope usually.  They also have like aisles worth of things for people who don't like to cook that are like easy mode, and they'll feed them to you while you shop if you can get through the gates, at the very many "demo stations" or whatevs.

Also yeah...electronics are almost always cheaper at Costco...if they have the one you want.  Same for Appliances.  Also tires if they have the brand and model you want in the size you want.

Also i think all of my sweatpants are from Costco at this point.  But you have to buy them all at the right time of year, because Costco is the biggest tease store.  They'll have something you want one day and the next...and then you'll go to get another of it, and it will no longer exist.

But yeah...if the technology you want is at Costco at the right moment...it'll definitely be cheaper than probably anywhere else.

22 hours ago, MrDrew said:

You might want to call the local store. They don't show in-store inventory online, even though everybody should be doing that now.

I called an apparently it is an online only item. I checked again today and it was in stock (still backordered though), so I got it ordered!

Thanks for the Costco tip! I had no idea they had USDA Prime meat. Game changer. 

59 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I called an apparently it is an online only item. I checked again today and it was in stock (still backordered though), so I got it ordered!

Thanks for the Costco tip! I had no idea they had USDA Prime meat. Game changer. 

Glad to hear it worked out. By far the best place to buy a TV from, especially when you're going to spend good money on one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking for a smart switch that can accept multiple circuits, and is also maybe digital/touchscreen?  I have a 4 gang box with lights and a fan (one light on a dimmer, and the fan has three speeds).  It's complicated, i'd like to get it on a smart switch, but i'm not finding anything that will work in this situation.

Putting the lights on smart bulbs aren't an option, btw.  I can explain, i guess, but i don't want to at the moment.

Also curious - i'd like to put my garage doors on smart control, but the reviews of after market controllers on existing openers is not good.  Seems like the only real option is to replace the whole unit if i want it to work well?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2020 at 12:59 PM, theJ said:

Looking for a smart switch that can accept multiple circuits, and is also maybe digital/touchscreen?  I have a 4 gang box with lights and a fan (one light on a dimmer, and the fan has three speeds).  It's complicated, i'd like to get it on a smart switch, but i'm not finding anything that will work in this situation.

Putting the lights on smart bulbs aren't an option, btw.  I can explain, i guess, but i don't want to at the moment.

Also curious - i'd like to put my garage doors on smart control, but the reviews of after market controllers on existing openers is not good.  Seems like the only real option is to replace the whole unit if i want it to work well?

Are you basically just gonna use it to uh..."get busy"?

Switch, it's time to boogie.  ???

On 02/03/2020 at 12:59 PM, theJ said:

May i ask why you would want to replace your garage door opener with a "smart opener"?  The RF things are already vulnerable enough.  Don't need to like link it to your doorbell or whatevs.

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Are you basically just gonna use it to uh..."get busy"?

Switch, it's time to boogie.  ???

Just laziness.  I have 3 light circuits for my living room, all in different boxes in different parts of the room.  Two are easy to solve, because they're single gang boxes and the smart switches available are easy to find.  I haven't been able to find one to accommodate the four gang box.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

May i ask why you would want to replace your garage door opener with a "smart opener"?  The RF things are already vulnerable enough.  Don't need to like link it to your doorbell or whatevs.

My garage is heated, and i'm deathly afraid that i'm going to leave the door open one day during the winter and run down my propane 50%.  That ish is expensive.

Just now, theJ said:

My garage is heated, and i'm deathly afraid that i'm going to leave the door open one day during the winter and run down my propane 50%.  That ish is expensive.

****.  Yeah, that's not good.  I've never even heard of a propane heated garage, but that seems bad.  I'd honestly be terrified about that even when it's closed tbh.

My main thing i do leaving a garage, is...close it and watch and it closes.  And usually it doesn't open again, unless like a cat runs in or the sun shines at the wrong angle or the wind blows some debris through the sensor.

I feel like just, observing to make sure it closes is probably the cheapest and easiest solution maybe.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

****.  Yeah, that's not good.  I've never even heard of a propane heated garage, but that seems bad.  I'd honestly be terrified about that even when it's closed tbh.

My main thing i do leaving a garage, is...close it and watch and it closes.  And usually it doesn't open again, unless like a cat runs in or the sun shines at the wrong angle or the wind blows some debris through the sensor.

I feel like just, observing to make sure it closes is probably the cheapest and easiest solution maybe.

That's what i do.  But i can only control me, and sometimes my wife leaves in a hurry.  Hasn't happened at this house yet, but it has happened at our last house.  Luckily, that one wasn't heated.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Plus, you know how it goes - sometimes you leave and hours later think "did i close the garage door?".  Happens to everyone, and it'd be nice to have the ability check and have peace of mind.

Honestly, not really.  I've never had that happen to me.

I'm either backing out of a driveway where i don't pull away until i see it closed...or i'm driving out of a parking garage where if it doesn't close, idfag.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Plus, you know how it goes - sometimes you leave and hours later think "did i close the garage door?".  Happens to everyone, and it'd be nice to have the ability check and have peace of mind.

I had the opposite problem several months ago when i backed my car through the closed garage door

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, not really.  I've never had that happen to me.

I'm either backing out of a driveway where i don't pull away until i see it closed...or i'm driving out of a parking garage where if it doesn't close, idfag.

You are weird.  I don't know how many times i am halfway down my street and think this, thus prompting me to turn around and verify that it's closed (it is 99.9% of the time).

• Like 2